International students who are under 18

If you are an international student under 18 when you start at AUT, it is important you and your parents or legal guardian read the following information.

Accommodation for international students under 18

In line with the Code, if you are under 18 years old when you start your study, AUT requires that you live in one of the following accommodation options:

  • With your parent(s) or legal guardian(s)
  • With a residential caregiver (as follows):
    • A homestay carer, or
    • A designated caregiver.

You may not live in any other type of accommodation while you are under 18 years of age.

Option 1: Staying with your parent(s) or legal guardian(s)

Your parent/s or legal guardian/s must confirm that they will be residing in Auckland at least until you turn 18. Once we receive this, we may arrange to view the property and meet with your parents.

Option 2: Staying with a homestay family

If you and your parents are interested in homestay accommodation contact either of the two organisations directly for assistance.

Option 3: Staying with a designated caregiver

A designated caregiver must be a relative or a close family friend that your parent or legal guardian has designated to be your caregiver and accommodation provider. If your parents would like you to live with a designated caregiver, they must sign an indemnity document. Please contact the Student Hub and request an Indemnity Document for Students Living with a Designated Caregiver. We will send a form to your parents to complete and return to us.

Your designated caregiver must also sign an agreement. Once we receive the Indemnity Document signed by your parents, we will send the Designated Caregiver Agreement to the designated caregiver and arrange to view the property and meet the designated caregiver.


Note: Accommodation is subject to the approval of AUT.

Arriving in Auckland - what you need to do

  • Make contact with the Student Hub Advisors before International Orientation to schedule regular appointments
  • If you have chosen to live at a homestay, make sure you organise an accommodation check

Any questions? Email

Regular meetings and reports while you are under 18

You must meet on a regular basis with an Student Hub Advisor to discuss:

  • Your academic progress
  • Accommodation
  • General health and wellbeing
  • Any concerns you may have

If we are concerned about your welfare or academic progress, we will send a report to your parents or legal guardian.

Education Code of Practice

AUT abides by the Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021. The Code sets out minimum standards of advice and care that you can expect and provides a procedure that you can follow if you have any concerns. Responsibility for pastoral care of international students under the Code is for the duration of enrolment.


International students: see how we support you

We want your time as an international student at AUT to be a great experience. Learn more about starting your life as an international student in Auckland and find out how AUT will support you throughout your studies.