At AUT we celebrate diversity in the workplace and aim to provide a welcoming, safe and inclusive environment where all staff feel valued, respected and can bring their whole self to work. Our workplace culture promotes the open exchange of diverse thoughts, opinions, skills and cultural perspectives, and encourages allyship.
AUT is committed to the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi (Treaty of Waitangi).
Celebrating our diverse community
AUT celebrates and supports the aspirations and achievements of our diverse staff and student community.
Staff networks at AUT
AUT supports voluntary staff-led networks that foster a sense of belonging, identity, and wellbeing in a diverse workplace. These include:
- Cultural affinity groups for staff from Asian, Māori and Pacific backgrounds
- Women on Campus
- OUT@AUT for staff who identify with the rainbow communities
How we support diversity in the workplace
- The first New Zealand university to be Rainbow Tick certified – we provide a safe and welcoming space for employees in the rainbow communities
- Advanced GenderTick accreditation in recognition of our commitment to advancing gender equality in the workplace
- We aspire to be the university of choice for:
- Eke Tangaroa programme – we’re the first university to offer a programme to provide opportunities for new Māori and Pacific academic staff to establish their teaching and research careers
- Making our workplace as accessible as possible, including for those that may experience hearing loss, through the Hearing Accredited Workplace programme
- Multifaith spiritual support – promoting spiritual wellbeing (taha wairua) through multifaith spiritual support and facilities on campus
- Gender and Diversity Research Group – carrying out socially relevant research and consultancy work, holding events, producing resources and supervising student research
- A range of diversity, equity and inclusion learning and development opportunities to build staff cultural capabilities and enable them to work and relate effectively in a diverse workplace