Contacts for international students at AUT

Find out who to contact if you’re an international student at AUT and need any help while you’re studying with us.

AUT Student Hub

There’s an AUT Student Hub on each campus and it’s the one place to go for: ID cards, fees and financial support, graduation, talking to faculties, visa or immigration matters or personal needs. They will either resolve your need on the spot or put you in touch with the right person to help you.

AUT Student Hub

Contact the Student Hub


Phone: 0800 288 864 (Freephone within NZ) or +64 9 921 9779 (if you’re outside NZ)

Enquire online

Postgraduate research support

As a postgraduate research student, you’re supported by the dedicated team at the Graduate Research School. They offer resources including postgraduate study spaces, forms, contacts and development information. Graduate researchers can also make use of the support services offered to all AUT students.

Graduate Research School support and resources

AUTSA international affairs officer

AUTSA is your student association who are elected each year to the Student Representatives Council (SRC).

One of these representatives is the AUTSA international affairs officer whose role is to liaise with international students and keep the Student Representative Council informed of your perspective and relevant issues. They can also connect you with student clubs and activities.


AUTSA website

Emergency contact (after hours)

Outside of normal working hours if you need our help, call our after-hours phone number (for emergencies)

Phone: +64 9 921 9900

In the event of a medical emergency or threat to your life you should first call 111.

Complaints and feedback

iStudents Complaints is an independent dispute resolution scheme established by the New Zealand Government. It helps international students resolve disputes between students and their education provider.

It’s important that you’ve raised any complaint with AUT using the Student Feedback Form before engaging iStudent.