Violence and Trauma Studies - Master of Health Practice

Study the AUT Master of Health Practice in Violence and Trauma Studies and explore different approaches to reduce violence in our communities and assist with healing from trauma.

The Master of Health Practice in Violence and Trauma Studies offers training for health professionals to help reduce damaging behaviour in our communities. It's designed for health professionals with at least three years of clinical experience.

This degree caters for a wide range of ‘people professionals’ - community agency workers, social workers, counsellors, group workers, psychotherapists, probation officers, refugee workers, the military, the police, marae and iwi agencies, prison workers, teachers, occupational therapists, peace workers, nurses, Civil Defence, ethnic health workers, health promoters, first responder emergency services, church workers, occupational therapists, activists.. It's also suitable for those working with trauma and abuse victims family violence workers, drug and alcohol addiction, mental health, disability, and children’s safety programmes.

This is part of the Master of Health Practice.

Start date: 2022

You need a total of 180 points to complete the Master of Health Practice. The programme builds your awareness and skills for working in your chosen area and solving problems of behaviour that reduces life potential.

You can select courses that reflect your career needs and interests. Students are expected to choose a particular issue to explore improving professional practice for themselves and others.

Courses are taught in two block courses, usually run in March and August each year:

  • COMH801: March and August
  • COMH805: March
  • COMH802: August
  • COMH804: August

Complete the following courses

And select one professional course

And select one research course

And complete the following courses

And complete a practice project

Practice as a health professional in New Zealand is governed by legislation and a number of ‘Responsible Authorities’ (such as the NZ Psychologist Board, Physiotherapy Board and the Nursing Council who register practitioners). Overseas qualified health professionals who wish to practise in New Zealand should communicate directly with the relevant Responsible Authority. Qualifications recognised for professional registration at AUT are undergraduate; study at postgraduate level is not considered equivalent recognition for NZ Board certification.

Key features
  • Focuses on violence and trauma in homes and communities as well as in nations
  • Open to both experienced professionals and recently graduated undergraduate students
  • Close links to the National Institute for Public Health and Mental Health Research
  • Can be tailored to your needs and interests
  • Includes a practice project in an area of your interest

The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.

Website search