Medical and travel insurance

All international students enrolled at Auckland University of Technology (AUT) must hold an acceptable insurance policy as a condition of their study visa for the period of enrolment until the expiry of their student visa. Your policy must meet the requirements outlined in The Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021 (the Code).

Choose your insurance provider

When you are ready to accept your offer of place and pay your fees, we recommend that you arrange for your insurance cover. You can choose one of the following:

  • AUT’s preferred insurance, Studentsafe Inbound University by Allianz Partners
  • Your own insurance provider (the policy you purchase must meet the Code requirements – check the list of providers in the 'Other approved insurance providers' section on this page.)

Studentsafe insurance

AUT has appointed insurance brokers Marsh Limited to manage our Studentsafe Inbound University policy, which is insured by Allianz.

Full-year students pay an annual premium and part-year students pay a proportion of the annual premium. The premium is paid to AUT and it may change from year to year.

Cost for Studentsafe insurance (annual premium for 2024)

  • Student insurance: NZD $810.00
  • Family insurance: NZD $2025.00 (includes student, spouse and dependent children)
  • Couple rate: NZD $1620.00 (includes student and spouse or child)

Your AUT Studentsafe policy number is your AUT Student ID. When you pay the insurance premium as a new international student, your payment acknowledgement indicates the amount and period of cover. Note: Returning students will be provided an invoice for the duration of their enrolments.

AUT advises Allianz (Studentsafe insurance provider) to issue a record of cover electronically within 30 days after commencement of your programme.

Pre-existing medical conditions

The Studentsafe Inbound University policy does not automatically cover pre-existing medical conditions. A pre-existing medical condition is a medical or physical condition that you had before you enrolled in the plan and can extend to pre-existing medical condition(s) you were aware of but did not seek treatment for.

Cover can be arranged in certain circumstances by completing a medical assessment form. An additional premium will be charged if we agree to provide cover.

Download a Medical Assessment Form

Arranging additional insurance cover for your family

You can apply for cover for your spouse and any dependent children who are travelling with you to New Zealand for the duration of your study.

If you don't have insurance cover for your family, all medical expenses including hospital treatment will be at your own cost.

How to apply for insurance cover for your family

Make sure you read the policy wording in full before applying to ensure it will meet your needs.

This family cover must coincide with the enrolment dates of your study.

  • Download and complete a Family Application Form from the InsurancesafeNZ website. This form needs to be submitted each time you want to purchase additional periods of cover for any current and subsequent enrolment periods of study.
  • Scan and email it to or provide it to the Student Hub.
  • The Enrolments team will assess your family application and invoice you accordingly for the period of cover.
  • Once payment is received, we shall advise the student safe provider of your family cover.

Studentsafe Family Member Form

Cover start and end dates

  • As a new student your insurance will start 31 days prior to the course start date or any date that has been agreed in writing.  This includes transit from your country of origin to New Zealand.
  • For the majority of students, insurance cover will end upon arrival in your country of origin following completion of your course of study, or
    • On the expiry date of your current approved visa or
    • You are being repatriated under this policy to your country of origin, or
    • Withdrawing from your course of study and leaving New Zealand, or
    • Any date otherwise agreed by Studentsafe or notified to you in writing,
    • Whichever happens first.

Other approved insurance providers

If you purchase an alternative insurance policy from a provider on the approved list, make sure the insurance cover is for the length of your student visa, and your insurance covers your time studying in, and travelling to and from New Zealand.

Send us proof of your policy before you start your study

If you choose your own insurance provider, you need to scan and email proof of your approved insurance policy (in English) no later than the Friday before you start your study at AUT. Email it to: or provide it to the Student Hub.

If you are unable to provide evidence of an approved policy that covers your travel to New Zealand until the end date of your visa, you will be invoiced for the AUT Studentsafe Inbound University policy.

Studentsafe Inbound University policy on InsurancesafeNZ website.

Approved medical and travel insurance providers

  • Chapka - Cap Student
  • InterGlobal – StudentCare Plan (NZ)
  • Uni-Care Ltd (NZ) – NZ Student Plan
  • Southern Cross International Student Travel Insurance - Type: Individual
  • OrbitProtect – Prime Plan
  • U.M. Association Limited (UK)
  • AON Protect (UK)
  • Swedish State (Sweden) – Student UT Plan
  • Europeiske Norway
  • Europeiske Reiseforsikring
  • EUROPAEISCHE Reiseversicherungs AG
  • Gouda Travel Insurance (Sweden)
  • Gouda Reseforskring (CSN Insurance for Study Abroad)
  • Gouda Reseforskring / Gouda Travel Insurance (Norway/Denmark/Sweden)
  • ACE Europe
  • Gjensidige Travel Insurance (Norway)
  • ANSA (AIG) Student Insurance (Norway)
  • BUPA Student Travel Insurance (Denmark)
  • RUNA – (Denmark)
  • ETU Forskring (Denmark)
  • TRYG (Denmark)
  • SafeAway (Denmark)
  • AON Protect Student Insurance
  • Allianz Reiseversicherung

Find out more about Studentsafe insurance

Start an insurance claim

To be reimbursed for expenses on an insurance claim, you fill in a Studentsafe claim form online.

Start an online insurance claim