All international students enrolled at Auckland University of Technology (AUT) are required by The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016, to have compliant medical and travel insurance for the length of their visa and period of study.
As an international student at AUT:
- You must have appropriate medical and travel insurance to meet the requirements of your visa. Your insurance must cover your full period of study and travelling to and from New Zealand
- You’re automatically covered by the Studentsafe Inbound University policy wording during your study
- Full-year students pay an annual premium and part-year students pay a proportion of the annual premium. The premium is paid to AUT and it may change from year to year.
Arranging Studentsafe insurance
AUT has appointed insurance brokers Marsh Limited to manage our Studentsafe-University insurance plan, which is insured by Allianz.
Cost (annual premium for 2021)
- Student insurance: NZD $670.00
- Family insurance: NZD $1675.00 (includes student, spouse and dependent children)
- Couple rate: NZD $1340.00 (includes student and spouse or child)
Arranging additional insurance cover for your family
You can apply for cover for your spouse and any dependent children who are travelling with you to New Zealand for the duration of your study.
If you don't have insurance cover for your family, all medical expenses including hospital treatment will be at your own cost.
How to apply for insurance cover for your family
- Download a Family Application Form from the Insurancesafe website
- Complete the Family Application Form
- Scan and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the Friday before you start your study at AUT
Make sure you read the policy wording in full before applying to ensure it will meet your needs.
- This cover must coincide with the enrolment dates of your study
- The Family Application Form will not be accepted, once you commence your enrolment at AUT.
- Enrolled students returning to AUT for a subsequent enrolment period also need to fill in the Family Application Form before their previous family insurance cover expires, or no later than the Friday before the start of the subsequent enrolment period
Cover start and end dates
- As a new student your insurance will start 31 days prior to the course start date including transit from your country of origin to New Zealand, or any date that has been agreed in writing
- For the majority of students, insurance cover will end upon arrival in your country of origin following completion of your course of study, or
- 150 days following your course end date or to the expiry date of your student visa (whichever is earlier) provided you have paid an annual premium in your final year of study, or
- You being repatriated under this policy to your country of origin, or
- Withdrawing from your course of study and leaving New Zealand, or
- Any date otherwise agreed by Studentsafe or notified to you in writing, or
- Whichever happens first.
Note: Returning students insured under this policy are covered between semesters of enrolment. For more information, download the Studentsafe brochure.
How to be reimbursed for expenses on an insurance claim
You can fill in a Studentsafe claim form online.
Start an online insurance claim
Find out more about Studentsafe insurance
Arranging insurance through other approved insurance providers
If you purchase an alternative insurance policy from a provider on the approved list, make sure the insurance cover is for the length of your student visa, and your insurance covers your time studying in, and travelling to and from New Zealand.
You need to provide proof of your alternative approved insurance policy (English translation only) by emailing email@example.com no later than the Friday before you start your study at AUT.
Approved medical and travel insurance providers
- InterGlobal – StudentCare Plan (NZ)
- Uni-Care Ltd (NZ) – NZ Student Plan
- Southern Cross International Student Travel Insurance - Type: Individual
- OrbitProtect – Prime Plan
- U.M. Association Limited (UK)
- AON Protect (UK)
- Swedish State (Sweden) – Student UT Plan
- Europeiske Norway
- Europeiske Reiseforsikring
- EUROPAEISCHE Reiseversicherungs AG
- Gouda Travel Insurance (Sweden)
- Gouda Reseforskring (CSN Insurance for Study Abroad)
- Gouda Reseforskring / Gouda Travel Insurance (Norway/Denmark/Sweden)
- ACE Europe
- Gjensidige Travel Insurance (Norway)
- ANSA (AIG) Student Insurance (Norway)
- BUPA Student Travel Insurance (Denmark)
- RUNA – (Denmark)
- ETU Forskring (Denmark)
- TRYG (Denmark)
- SafeAway (Denmark)
- EUROPEISKA –ERV
- AON Protect Student Insurance
- Allianz Reiseversicherung