AUT is a university that creates graduates who are world ready, not just career ready. Curiosity, creativity, connection and collaboration are the new global currency. That’s why they’re at the core of our teaching philosophy to ensure our students thrive in this world of rapid technological change.
We’re proudly and uniquely Kiwi with a firmly global perspective. That’s the outlook and ambition we give our students, whether they choose to go on to live in New Zealand or the 80 different countries our alumni now call home.
Exceptional learning experiences
- As New Zealand’s university of technology we encourage innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Our teaching is creative, interactive and responsive, characterised by contemporary approaches, technologies and resources.
- Our students become inquiring and agile thinkers, and communicate with a broad understanding of the world.
- Academic staff are research active and at the forefront of their disciplines.
- We're world ranked in a range of subjects, including being ranked in the top 30 in the world for sports.
- Our perspective is firmly global - 48% of our academic staff are international and our students come from 140 different countries.
- Each year, 5,600 international students study at AUT.
- Our alumni now live and work in 80 different countries.
- We have 5,000 industry partnerships world-wide.
- We're proud of our inclusive, vibrant and collegial university culture.
- New Zealand is ranked top in the world for preparing students for their future, and Auckland is the third best city in the world to live.
Innovative and relevant research
- AUT is ranked #1 in New Zealand for global research impact (due to the number of times our research is cited by academics globally). We have collaborated with 140 countries and receive the most citations from the USA, Australia, UK, China and Germany.
- We're the fastest growing postgraduate destination in New Zealand; our doctorate numbers have almost tripled since 2009.
- Our research institutes and centres cover a broad range of specialities including space research, big data, artificial intelligence, physical activity and nutrition, sustainable tourism, robotics, ecology, indigenous language revitalisation and financial forecasting.
- We deliver excellent research that is both interdisciplinary and project-led.
- Our research addresses issues facing the environment and society, and our discoveries are widely used.
- Postgraduate students contribute to and learn from these research discoveries.