Professor Wai Kiang (Albert) Yeap
Professor of Artificial Intelligence and Director of CAIR
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 extn 9565
AUT Tower, Level 1,
2 – 14 Wakefield St,
Auckland University of Technology
Private Bag 92006,
Auckland 1142 NZ
- BSc (Hons.) in Computer System, University of Essex, 1978.
- PhD in Artificial Intelligence, University of Essex, 1984.
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Fellow of the New Zealand Computer Society (NZCS).
- Member of the Association for the Advancement of AI.
- Member of the Royal Society of New Zealand.
- Member of the Cognitive Science Society.
Professor Yeap joined Otago University in 1985 and AUT in 2000. He is currently the Director of the Centre for AI Research.
Professor Yeap is interested in how the mind works computationally. To seek an answer to this problem, he is currently developing a computational theory of spatial thinking, a computational theory of language & a computational theory of orginal intent.
- Yeap. W.K. A Computational Theory of Human Perceptual Mapping. Proceedig s of the Cognitive Science. Boston, USA, 429-434 (2011)
- Yeap, W.K. How Albot finds its way Home: A Novel Approach to Cognitive Mapping using Robots. Topics in Cognitive Science, 3(4), 707-721 (2011).
- Jefferies, M.E. and Yeap, W.K. (eds.) Robotics and Cognitive Approaches to Spatial Mapping, Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics (2008).
- Wong, C.K., Schmidt, J. and Yeap, W.K. Using a Mobile Robot for Cognitive Mapping. Proceedings of the 20th International Joint Conference on AI (IJCAI), 2243 – 2248 (2007).
- Schmidt, J., Wong, C.K. and Yeap, W.K. A Split & Merge Approach to Metric-Topological Map-Building. In proceedings of the International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), Volume 3, 1069-1072 (2006).
- Yeap, W.K. and Jefferies, M. On early Cognitive Mapping. Spatial Cognition and Computation, 2: 85-116 (2000).
- Yeap, W.K. and Jefferies, M. Computing a Representation of the Local Environment. Artificial Intelligence, 107: 219-263 (1999).
- Yeap, W.K. A Sketched Computational Theory of Language Comprehension. In Proceedings of the Cognitive Science Conference. Madison, USA, 1170-1175, (1998).
- Yeap, W.K. Emperor AI, Where is your New Mind? AI Magazine 18, 4:137-144 (1997).
- Lam, F.C. and Yeap, W.K. Bayesian updating: On the Interpretation of Exhaustive and Mutually Exclusive Assumptions. Artificial Intelligence 53:245-254 (1992).
- Yeap, W.K., Jefferies, M. and Naylor, P.S. An MFIS for computing a raw cognitive map. Proceedings of AI (IJCAI), Sydney, 373-378 (1991).
- Yeap, W.K. and Handley, C.C. Four Important Issues in Cognitive Mapping. In J. Meyer & S.W. Wilson (eds.) From Animals to Animats. Cambridge, Mass, The MIT Press, 176-183, (1991).
- Yeap, W.K. Towards a Computational Theory of Cognitive Maps. Artificial Intelligence 34: 297-360 (1988).
2012 Fellow at the Hanse-Wissenschaftskolleg (HWK) Institute for Advanced Study, Germany. For more information: http://www.h-w-k.de/