Associate Dean Research - Faculty of Design & Creative Technologies
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 Extn 5329
AUT Tower, Level 1,
2 – 14 Wakefield St,
Auckland University of Technology
Private Bag 92006,
Auckland 1142 NZ
- 2008 Doctor of Philosophy (Computer and Information Sciences): “Supporting the work of global virtual teams: the role of technology-use mediation”, AUT University
- 2001 Master of Philosophy (Information Systems), University of Auckland
- 1975 Master of Arts (Hons) (Latin and English), Victoria University Wellington
- 1976 Dip. Teaching., Christchurch Teachers College
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Member New Zealand Institute of IT Professionals (MIITP)
- Member of the Institution of Electrical and Electronic Engineers – Computer Society (MIEEE-CS)
- Member of the Association for Computing Machinery (MACM)
Tony is a PhD supervisor and has been involved in teaching the following papers:
- Master of Computer and Information Sciences
- Bachelor of Computer and Information Sciences
- Research and Development Project
- Software Engineering
- Programming 1
- Conjoint BCIS/BBus Co-op
- Postgraduate Supervision
- Master of IT Engineering (Uppsala)
- Master of Education
- Master of Computing (Unitec)
Collaborative Computing & Global Software Engineering
Global Software Engineering, Global Virtual Teams, Collaborative Computing, Collaborative Technology Development and Implementation, Collaborative Learning.
Software Engineering, Education & Research
Computing & Software Engineering Education Research, Programmers Programming and Professionalism.
Tony’s research interests are in Collaborative Computing, Global Software Engineering and Computing Education Research. His early career was spent in industry as a practicing software developer and manager, which provides an experiential base for his research into global software development and collaboration with global virtual teams. This is complemented by interests in computing education research and the development of programming expertise and professionalism.
Tony holds positions as Associate Editor and Column Editor for ACM Inroads; and Editorial Board member for the Journal Computer Science Education. He has acted as Associate Co-chair for the International Computing Education Research Conference 2015, Program Co-chair for the Innovation & Technology in Computer Science Education Conference 2014, General Chair for Australasian Computer Science Week 2014 and is active on several Software Engineering and CS Education program committees. In 2008 he was a guest researcher at Uppsala University Sweden. Tony has been engaged in global virtual research collaborations over the last decade spanning the continents of Europe, Australia, Asia and the United States.
Current Research Projects:
- Principal Investigator and supervisor of several PhD projects under the Global Software Development theme of the SERL lab
- Principal Global Virtual Teams Project – investigating Global Virtual Teams, Technology-use Mediation, Collaborative Computing, Collaborative Learning and Global Intercultural Collaboration in collaboration with colleagues at the UPCERG group of Uppsala University in Sweden.
- CS Education Projects investigating the programming progression from novice to expert under the Programmers, Programming and Professionalism theme of the SERL lab and projects including Computing for the Social Good within the STEM-Tec research centre