Senior Lecturer, Head of Department, Coaching, Health & Physical Education
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext 7022
PhD (AUT University), MSc., BHum., Further and Adult Education Teachers Certificate.
Sociology of Sport
Children in Sport
Athlete centred coaching
Area of expertise:
Sociology of sport, athlete-centred coaching, coach development.
Specific areas of interest:
sideline behaviour, children’s experiences of sport, coach and parent influences on children’s enjoyment of sport, student-centred learning. Qualitative research methodologies, discourse analysis.
Current Research Projects:
- Youth development through sport
- Coach and player attitudes to injury
- Traditional unstructured free play
- Good Sports programme evaluation
- Sport for development
- Student-centred learning
Current Postgraduate Students’ Research
- Using an interpersonal relationships model to understand dyadic relationships among high performing sport and leadership management.
- Constructions of human touch in health practice: A discourse analysis.
- The effect of an adult behaviour intervention on children’s experiences of sport: A case study.
- The perceived value of an outdoor education programme in a New Zealand high school. A case study.
- Early specialisation and overuse injuries.
- The Impact of Character Strengths and Wellbeing on Sporting Injury.
- Pathways to the Paralympic Games: Exploring the sporting journeys of high performance Para athletes with a limb deficiency.
- The early sport and play experiences of elite New Zealand hockey players from rural and regional communities.