Senior Lecturer, Director of Research
Phone: 09 921 9999 Ext 7931
School of Education, AUT North Shore Campus
90 Akoranga Drive, Northcote, Auckland.
School of Education, AUT North Shore Campus
Private Bag 92006, Auckland 1142.
Links to relevant web pages:
Social Media links
- Doctor of Education
- Master of Education
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours)
- Bachelor of Arts (Education).
Memberships and Affiliations:
Leon Benade is the Director of Research and his main research interests are teachers' work, school policy, ethics, philosophy in schools, critical pedagogy, and the New Zealand Curriculum. Leon's current research work focuses on how '21st century learning' impacts the work of teachers and school leaders, particularly in relation to the establishment of Innovative Learning Environments (ILE) and digital pedagogies. Related areas of interest include the question of teachers' critical reflective practice and the evolving role and nature of the concept of 'knowledge' in the 21st century curriculum.
Leon is a member of the Research Associations of New Zealand (NZARE) and Australia (AARE). He is co-editor of the New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies and the New Zealand Journal of Teachers’ Work. He is also Associate Editor of the Open Review of Educational Research. Leon contributes further to the research environment by his work as a consulting reviewer for several international journals. the Australian Journal of Teacher Education, Policy Futures in Education and Educational Philosophy and Theory.
His teaching interests include — the philosophy of education, education policy, learning environments research and the theory of research.
- Concepts in Educational Research (MEd)
- Learning Environments for the 21st Century
- Postgraduate research supervision.
- Rebekah Brandon: Rwandan teachers' enacted beliefs. Completed 2013 (with distinction).
- Craig Arnold: Recruit, Reward, Retain: The new 3Rs of New Zealand Education. Completed 2015.
- Nick Boston: The experience of adult undergraduate students transitioning to higher education. Completed 2017 (with distinction)
- Melanie Patrix: The influence of innovative learning environments on student learning in a mainstream secondary school context. Completed 2017 (with distinction)
- Shraddha Sharma
Thesis title: Issues in creating the Economics digital classroom in a New Zealand secondary school – a case study. Completed 2017.
- Jane Morgan: Emergent dual practice: An exploratory descriptive study of health graduates' professional practice in interprofessional contexts. Completed 2014.
- Alastair Wells: Modern learning environments as an agent of teaching and learning. Completed 2018
MEd and MEdL:
- Prasad Patchigalla: Transition or transformation? A critical evaluation of the influence of digital technology on teaching and learning at one New Zealand secondary school, with specific reference to the school-wide implementation of OneNote Class Notebook.
- Daryl Parkin: The lived experiences of student representatives in a New Zealand polytechnic: A critical examination.
- Marina Binns: The encouragement and development of curiosity within the school context at a strategic level.
- Richard Kearney: Postdigital Visual Literacy and Edusemiotics
- Sana Farooq: The critically reflective practice of online educators: Constructing a dialogic pedagogy in virtual learning environments.
- Mark Barnard: Crossing Borders: Border Pedagogy and the Formation of Emerging Adults in Theological Education
- Brian Moreton: 'It's not fair!' An Interpretation of the Nature and Meaning of an Experience of Unfairness, in a Middle School, in Aotearoa. (Secondary supervisor).
Philosophy and theory of education
- Paulo Freire's contribution to thinking about education
- Teachers' work (in particular ILE)
- Teachers critical reflective practice
- Development of communities of critical professional enquiry
- Developing philosophical approaches to teaching thinking in New Zealand schools
- The role of Philosophy for Children (P4C) in New Zealand schools as a relevant thinking pedagogy.
- The New Zealand Curriculum (the front-end – analysis and application)
- The establishment and development of ILE
Organisation and educational leadership
- Organisational learning (linking to communities of critical professional enquiry)
- Vision sustainability
- Ethical leading.
Current Research Projects:
- The influence of 21st century learning imperatives on the work of teachers and principals
- Transitions in the practice of teachers in Innovative Learning Environments (ILE)
- Pedagogy in ILE
- Parental and community voice in the establishment of ILE
- Establishing learning environments to achieve dispositional outcomes
- European Conference on Educational Research (ECER). Sept 2018
- British Education Research Conference (BERA). Sept 2019
- New Zealand Association for Research in Education (NZARE) Conference. Nov 2019
- Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) Conference. Dec 2019