Phone: + 64 9 921 9999 ext 5132
WF931, 46 Wakefield Street
Faculty of Business, Economics and Law
Private bag 92006
- Masters in Management Studies (with Distinction)
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Accounting and Finance (with Distinction)
- Graduate Certificate of Education
- Bachelor of Arts (in Accounting and Economics)
Memberships and Affiliations:
CPA (Certified Practicing Accountant)- member of CPA Australia (membership no. 9509915)
Member of HERDSA (Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia)
- Financial Accounting for companies
- Workshop supervision (Cooperative Education)
- Academic supervision (Cooperative Education)
- Web-based reporting practices of companies
- Pasifika Accounting Education
- Use of technology in education
- First Year Higher Education
Irshad’s primary research interests are in the areas of web-based reporting and accounting education. For his research in web-based reporting, he is interested in investigating the use of the Internet by companies for the disclosure of financial and non-financial information, in particular Corporate Social Reporting (CSR) and voluntary disclosures of other information by New Zealand companies. In the area of accounting pedagogy, he is interested in investigating the challenges and opportunities for accounting educators and students, in particular the impact of technological advancements in teaching and learning. Irshad has been looking into potential barriers faced by Pasifika students in accounting education. His aim is to propose actionable strategies that can be implemented by accounting educators and tertiary institutions that will achieve greater Pasifika student success in gaining tertiary accounting qualifications. He has received LTDF funding to support his research in this area. In addition, Irshad is interested in first year higher education research, particularly with the issues faced by students when dealing with the transition from high school to tertiary education. In particular, the research will focus on the development of student skills in first year programmes for greater student success.
Current Research Projects:
- Ali, I. & Narayan A., (2017). Struggles of Pasifika students in completing a tertiary accounting qualification: potential barriers from their lived experiences.
- Deneen, C., Ali, I., Byard, K., & Kommunuri, J. (Under Review). Using blogs as assessment to develop high-value competencies of undergraduate business students.
- Chong, S., Narayan, A., & Ali, I. (2017). Do as the Romans do: Are CSR disclosures using photographs communicating reality or propaganda?
- Ali, I. & Narayan A., (2016). Web-based voluntary disclosure practices of New Zealand Companies.
- The Annual Auckland Regional Accounting (ARA) Conference hosted by ARA
- The Annual CPA Congress hosted by CPA Australia.
- Quarterly meetings of PICAN (Pacific Island Chartered Accountants New Zealand)