Director of Design Thinking
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 # 8762
School of Art and Design
Faculty of Design and Creative Technologies
Private Bag 92006
Phd, University of Auckland; MCom [First class honours], University of Auckland; BA, BCom, University of Otago.
Amabel leads an interdisciplinary program teaching creativity and design thinking. Her expertise is in the intersect of design and business, with her research focused on collaborative practices, design thinking and sustainable design. Her work is informed by a commitment to social and environmental issues, which is combined with over ten years’ industry experience developing products and services for the social sector.
- Design Thinking
- Design for Sustainability
- Design thinking
- Design for sustainability
- Material reuse and sustainable lifestyles
Amabel’s research is focused on collaborative practices, design thinking and sustainable design. She is particularly interested in the role of mindfulness and spirituality on people’s lives. Her research is aimed at understanding the role of design in driving social and environmental behaviour change.
PhD SupervisionPhD Supervisions in process:
- Parisa Moradi: Ageing with technology: A study of emotional interactions with smart products.
- Richard Orjis: An Island within the City: Queer connections across history, contemporary art and ecology
- 2018. Internal Examiner PhD: Donna Cleveland, AUT. Transformational Cloth: Weaving the undervalued threads of textile waste into a value-added change model.