Curriculum Leader, Public Relations
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 extn 6492
Mobile: +64 21 575064
- PhD, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
- MA, University of Gloucestershire, Cheltenham, England
- Postgraduate Diploma Higher Education, University of Gloucestershire, Cheltenham, England
- BA, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Member, Chartered Institute of Public Relations (UK)
- Member, Public Relations Institute of New Zealand
- Fellow, Higher Education Authority (UK)
- Vice-President and Global Team Mentor, GlobCom BV
Originally from New Zealand, Averill spent most of her professional life overseas, primarily in the UK. As a senior public relations practitioner in London, Averill ran the international healthcare division for Weber Shandwick one of the world's largest PR agencies, where she directed global PR accounts. She then moved to the Cotswolds where she created and ran the public relations degree at the University of Gloucestershire. As Director of Studies, she also oversaw the academic rigour of the communications degrees.
In 2011 Averill wrote Public Relations a textbook commissioned by Oxford University Press in the UK, which links theory to practice. Her PhD is on leadership interactions in global virtual teams, based on GlobCom, an ongoing international teaching and learning collaboration project. This project is run by the Global Communication Institute e.V. a not- for-profit organisation based in Germany of which Averill is Vice-President and Global Team Mentor. Averill is also a visiting lecturer on the MA-Strategic Management in Global Communication
at the Blanquerna School of Communication and International Relations, Ramon Lull University, Barcelona, Spain.
Averill draws on her extensive professional experience as a senior PR practitioner in global communication to integrate practice and theory. She also maintains close industry relationships to ensure students have updated knowledge and vocational opportunities. Her teaching on both the Bachelor and Master’s degrees includes public relations theory and practice, international public relations, leadership of global virtual teams, corporate social responsibility, reputation management and mass communications.
Averill specialises in advancing global communication research and practice through creating and sustaining collaborative global pedagogical projects with strong industry links.
- GlobCom BV, an international collaboration between PR students and lecturers in 15 universities communicating in virtual teams to develop PR proposals for live industry briefs. The initiative addresses the demand for PR graduates to have global capabilities and prepares students to be practical and effective PR practitioners http://www.globcom.org
- icollab, an international community of practice of students and lecturers which explores and evaluates evaluating mobile web tools in learning strategies. https://icollab.wordpress.com/the-team/
Averill is also a Director of Outside the Square, AUT’s student PR consultancy which carries out pro-bono PR for not-for-profit organisations.