Dr Jenny Fleming
Academic Manager, Senior lecturer - Sport & Recreation
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext. 7164
PhD (Deakin University), MSc, (Hons), Grad Dip T. Ed, NZCS (Paramedical)
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Member of Faculty Board (Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences)
- Elected council member of the New Zealand Association for Cooperative Education (held position as Deputy Chair 2006-2011)
- Editorial Board of the Asia -Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education (2005- current)
- Reviewer for the proceedings of the WACE Conference (Japan 2015)
- Reviewer for the proceedings of the WACE Research Symposium (Sweden, 2014)
- Reviewer for the HERD journal (2010 special edition on work-integrated learning)
- Reviewer for the Journal of Cooperative Education and Internships (2006-2010)
- Discipline leader for cooperative education and work integrated learning for the School of Sport and Recreation
- Sport and Recreation Cooperative 1 & 2
- Industry Experience and Research
Cooperative education and work integrated learning.
Jenny Fleming’s research focus is on student learning during cooperative education or work integrated learning experiences within a sport and recreation context. Projects have included: Investigation of the pedagogies employed to integrate theory and practice; The influences on student learning in sport cooperative education; Partnerships and relationships in work-integrated learning; Identifying competencies needed by cooperative education students and by graduates to enhance employability; The use of action learning strategies for cooperative education projects; Investigation of how the structure of the placement affects the learning experience.
Current Research Projects:
- Exploring stakeholders’persepctives of cooperative education in sport tertiary education (PhD completed (July 2014) with the School of Education, Deakin University, Australia)
- Stakeholder perspectives of cooperative education partnerships (funded by an AUT Learning and Teaching Fellowship)
- Fleming, J. (2015). Exploring stakeholders' perspectives of the influences on student learning in cooperative education. Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education, 16(2), 109-119.
- Fleming, J. (2015). Enhancing cooperative education through action learning projects. In M. Li & Y. Zhao (Eds.), Exploring learning and teaching in higher education. New frontiers in educational research (pp. 171-187). Berlin: Springer-Verlag. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-55352-3_7
- Fleming, J. (2014). Exploring stakeholders' perspectives of cooperative education in sport tertiary education (Doctoral Thesis, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia).
- Fleming, J., & Hickey, C. (2013). Exploring cooperative education partnerships: A case study in sport tertiary education. Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education, 14(3), 209-221.
- Lucas, P & Fleming J., (2012). Reflection in sport and recreation cooperative education: Journals or blogs? Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education, 13, (1), 55-64.
- Fleming, J. M., & Ferkins, L. (2011). Cooperative education and work-integrated education in sports studies. In R. K. Coll, & K. E. Zegwaard (Eds.), International Handbook for Cooperative Education and Work-Integrated Education: International perspectives of theory, research and practice. (2nd ed., pp. 179-187).
- Fleming, J., & Ferkins, L. (2010). The use of action learning strategies for cooperative education or work integrated learning projects. Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, 4 (1), 100-103.
- Martin, A., & Fleming, J. (2010). Cooperative education in outdoor education. Australian Journal of Outdoor Education, 14(1), 41-48.
- Martin, A., Fleming, J., Ferkins, L., Wiersma, C., & Coll, R. K. (2010). Facilitating and integrating learning within sport studies cooperative education: Exploring the pedagogies employed by students, academics and workplace supervisors. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Education, 9(1), 24-38.
- Fleming, J., Martin, A., Hughes, H., & Zinn, C. (2009). Maximizing Work Integrated Learning Experiences Through Identifying Graduate Competencies for Employability: A Case Study of Sport Studies in Higher Education. Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education, 10(3), 189-201.
- Coll, R.K., Eames, C., Paku, L., Lay, M., , Hodges, D., Bhat,R., Ram, S., Ayling, D., Fleming, J., Ferkins, L., Wiersma, C., & Martin, A. J. (2009). An exploration of the pedagogies employed to integrate knowledge in work-integrated learning. Journal of Cooperative Education and Internships, 43, (1), 14-35.
- Fleming J,, Zinn C., & Ferkins L. (2008). Bridging the Gap:Competencies students should focus on during their cooperative experience to enhance employability. In Proceedings of the WACE Asia Pacific Cooperative Education Conference, Sydney, Australia: (p 155-163.).
- Ferkins, L., & Fleming J., (2007). Action Learning in Sport Cooperative Education. Journal of Cooperative Education and Internships,41 (2),45-51.
- Fleming. J., & Martin. A. (2007). Facilitating Reflective Learning Journeys in Sport Cooperative Education. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education, 6 (2) 1.15-121.
- Fleming, J., & Ferkins, L. (2006). Enhancing student employability: A New Zealand case study of cooperative education in sport. In N. Becket & P. Kemp (Eds.), Enhancing graduate employability in business and management, leisure, sport and tourism, Newbury, U.K:Threshold Press, Newbury, 98-105.
- Fleming, J. & Ferkins, L. (2005). Cooperative education in sport: Building our knowledgebase. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education, 4 (1), 41-47.
- Fleming, J. & Eames, C. (2005). Student learning in relation to the structure of the cooperative experience. Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education, 6 (2), 26 - 31.
- Ferkins, L. & Fleming, J. (2004). Cooperative Education in Sports Studies. In R. Coll & C. Eames (Eds.), International Handbook for Cooperative Education (pp 141-150). Boston, MA: World Association for Cooperative Education.
- Fleming, J. & Walton, J. (2004). Sport and Recreation Cooperative Education Projects: A Medium for Teaching and Learning Ethical Principles. Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education, 5(1),45 - 49.
- AUT Learning and Teaching Fellowship (2012)
- Leadership Award (School of Sport and Recreation, 2009)
- North Shore Women Educator of the Year Award Finalist (NZ Federation of Graduate Women, 2006)
- Academic Leadership Award (School of Sport and Recreation, 2005)
- AUT Chancellors Publication Award, (2003)
Last updated: 30-Dec-2015 5.15pm
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.