Professor of Public Policy
Links to relevant web pages:
For more information on Marilyn visit her visit her website — marilynwaring.com.
- BA (Hons) in Political Science and International Politics, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
- Ph.D. in Political Economy (on the UNSNA), The University of Waikato, New Zealand.
- Governance and Public Policy
- Political Economy
- Gender Analysis
- Human Rights.
Current Research Projects:
- Karanina Sumeo
Use of land under traditional tenure and women's empowerment in urban communities of Samoa and Tonga
- Jenni Mace
Instilling hope and setting goals for a better future: making the transition to sustaining a permanent home possible for families in temporary accommodation
- Bruce Dyer
What are the merits of, and the scope for implementing policy of self-reliance in the Nelson regional economy?
- Quentin Allen
Coming out Later in Life: A narrative inquiry into delayed acquisition of homosexual identity in Aotearoa, New Zealand
- Elisa Lavelle
How could the needs of partners of people with life-changing acquired brain injury be better met?
- Lucia Davis
How mothers in interethnic relationships construct their parenting role
- Sally Rae
Factors influencing women's career choice and aspirations in Sport Management
- Barry Lee
The Auckland protest movement in the 1960s and 1970s: an investigation of the motivations and consequences for the young people involved
- Leila Tayebi
Can the Human Rights of Civilian Population be safeguarded in an Environment of Economic Sanctions?
- Undariya Tumursukh
Mongolia's "Matriarchal" Civil Society: Evidence of Empowerment or Exploitation.
- Shona McLeod
Appreciating what's working well in Partner and Child Abuse and Neglect Screening Intervention.
- Nilam Baniya Badu
Exploring the lived experience of opportunities and challenges faced by entrepreneurial women of rural Nepal.
- Maria Margarita Roma Lavides
How the biracial children in Angeles City, Philippines might be helped by the Angeles City Local Government so that these children might fully exercise their rights as guarantee in the UN Convention on the rights of the child.
- Vivien Wei Verheijen.
What are the lived experience of first Generation migrant women's entrepreneurship in New Zealand?
- Tony P Fakahau
Impact evaluation of tax reform on the Tongan population.
- Patsi Davies
Sites of Exception: Smoking and Mental Health Facilities in New Zealand
- Filipo McGrath
Tongan and Samoan Gay Men's lived experiences of New Zealand's marriage equality legislation change.
- Lyndsay Neil
In what ways do Kiwi identity and Kiwiana hold relevance for non Pakeha migrant communities?
- Waring, M. J. (2011, October 21). GEPMI Asia and Pacific. UNDP.
- Waring, M. J. (2011, October 3). Commonwealth Roundtable on Social Protection and Unpaid Carers. London: Commonwealth Secretariat.
- Waring, M. J. (2011, July 27). Women in politics and aid effectiveness: an aid to evaluation of MDG3: Gender Equality and Aid Effectiveness. Canberra, Australia: AusAID.
- Waring, M., Sumeo, K. (2010). Economic Crisis and Unpaid Care Work in the Pacific United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Waring, M., Fairbairn-Dunlop, P. (2010) Beijing + 15: Review of progress in implementing in Pacific Island countries and territories Secretariat of the Pacific Community. Numea, New Caledonia.
- Waring, M. (2009). Women's Political Participation. International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Ottawa, Canada.
- Waring, M. J., Carr, R., Mukherjee, A., & Shivdas, M. (2011). Who Cares? The Economics of Dignity.. London, UK: Commonwealth Secretariat.
- Waring, M. J., & Kearins, K. (2011). Thesis Survivor stories. M. J. Waring, & K. Kearins (Eds.), Auckland: AUT Media.
- Waring, M. J. (2010, March 8). Being the first: Storis blong oloketa mere lo Solomon Aelan. M. Waring, & A. Pollard (Eds.), Auckland: RAMSI, IPP and PMC.
Chapter in books
- Waring, M., Pollard, A. (Eds). (2010). Being the first: Storis blong oloketa mere lo Solomon Aelan. Pacific Media Centre for the Institute of Public Policy and Regional Assistance Mission to Solomon Islands (RAMSI), Honiara.
- Waring, M. (2009). 1 way 2 c the world: Writings 1984 - 2006. Toronto, Canada: University of Toronto Press.
- Waring, M. (2009). Policy and measure of woman. In A. Salleh (Ed.), Eco-sufficiency & global justice: Women write political ecology (pp. 165-179). London, UK: Pluto Press.
- Waring, M. (2008). Politica y estrategia de provisio de la atencion de salud en la region de la OPS y medicion del trabago no renumerado. In Organizacion Panamericana De La Salud, La economía invisible y las desigualdades de género (pp. 245-285). Washington DC: OPS.
- Waring, M. (2007). Do unpaid workers have rights? In M. Waring & C. Fouché (Eds.), Managing mayhem: Work-life balance in New Zealand (pp. 50-69). Wellington, New Zealand: Dunmore.
- Waring, M. (2007). Portfolio lives: The work-life balance of artists. In M. Waring & C. Fouché (Eds.), Managing mayhem: Work-life balance in New Zealand (pp. 214-234). Wellington, New Zealand: Dunmore.
- Waring, M, & Fouché, C. (Eds.). (2007). Managing mayhem: Work-life balance in New Zealand. Wellington, New Zealand: Dunmore.
- Waring, M. (2007). The South Pacific and the Antarctica: A region under threat. In M. Barlow, W Bello, B Cassen, S. George, B. Kagarlitsky D. Keet, J. Ziegler (Eds.), Voix rebelles du mond: Rebel voices of the world. France: HB Editions.
- Waring, M. (2006) Interview. In L. Simmons (Ed.), Speaking truth to power: Public intellectuals rethink New Zealand (pg 164-173). Auckland, New Zealand: Auckland University Press.
- Waring, M. [Reviewer]. (2005, July). Ministerial review of progress in implementing 2001 Cabinet recommendations establishing NZAID.
- Waring, M. (2001). In the lifetime of a goat: Writings 1984-2000. Wellington, New Zealand: Bridget Williams.
- Waring, M. (2000). Less than equal: Women’s experience of citizenship. In K. Rubenstein (Ed.), Individual community nation: 50 years of Australian citizenship (pp. 26-33). Melbourne, Australia: Australian Scholarly Publishing. Retrieved from informit.com.au
- Waring, M., Greenwood, G., Pintat, C., Meyer, D., & Jabre, K. (2000). Politics: Women’s insight: Analysis of the IPU survey. Geneva, Switzerland: Interparlimentary Union.
- Waring, M. (1997). What men value and what women are worth. In N. Goodwin (Series Ed.), & F. Ackerman, D. Kiron, N. Goodwin, J. Harris, & K. Gallagher (Vol. Eds.), Frontier issues in economic thought: Vol 3. Human well-being and economic goals (pp. 135-138). Washington DC: Island Press.
- Waring, M. (1996). Three masquerades: Essays on equality, work and human rights. Toronto, Canada. Toronto University Press.
- Waring, M. (1994). Si las mujeres contaran: Una neuva economia feminist [If women counted: A new feminist economics]. Madrid, Spain: Vindicacion Feminista.
- Waring, M. (1991). Hvis: Kvinner fikk telle [If women counted]. (M. Toft, Trans.). Olso, Norway: Cappelen.
- Waring, M. (1988). If women counted: A new feminist economics. London, UK: MacMillan.
- Waring, M. (1985). Women, politics and power. Wellington, New Zealand: Unwin.
Conferences, seminars and presentations
- Waring, M. J. (2011, April 25). What does progress mean for our society, and our communities? Victoria British Columbia, canada.
- Waring, M. J. (2011, March 18). Intersectionality — The Whole of Us : Retrieved from http://www.media567.com Keynote Invited Speaker: 2nd Asia Pacific Outgames Human Rights Conference: Strength in diversity: connect, collaborate, inspire.
- Waring, M. (Plenary Keynote) Globalisation and Public Policy: an international cross cultural research exchange conference. Globalisation, women, cross cultural exchange and public policy. (2010, August 12). Institute of Public Policy in partnership with Texas A&M University USA. AUT Conference Centre, Auckland.
- Waring, M. J. (2010, October 28). The costs of accounting: when economics is the problem, economics is not the answer.. In Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand (EIANZ). Te Papa, Wellington.
- Waring, M. J. (2010, October 18). Genuine Progress Indicators: Valuing Recreation. Connecting the Dots. In NZ Recreation Association Conference. Wellington, New Zealand.
- Waring, M. J. (2010, October). The Human Rights and Unpaid Care Interface.. In New Motherhood Organization Conference (MIRCI) 21 October, 2010. Toronto, Canada.. Toronto Canada.
- Waring, M. (2010). [One day workshop for the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association]. In Ninth Commonwealth Women's Affairs Ministers Meeting. Bridgetown, Barbados.
- Waring, M. (2010). Economic crisis and social protection: ensuring gender-responsive and sustainable outcomes. In Ninth Commonwealth Women's Affairs Ministers Meeting. Bridgetown, Barbados.
- Waring, M. (Orator). AUT Graduation Ceremony – Sir Don McKinnon’s honorary Doctorate. (2010, July 29).
- Waring, M. (Presentation). Leadership in action: part 1 – preparing for leadership. (2010, July 2). New Zealand Women in Leadership. Bolton Hotel, Wellington. Theme: My Story — 'Becoming a Leader: Taking on a Senior Leadership Role.'
- Waring, M. (Presentation). Linking research with the development of social policy (2010, June 22). Conferenz: Reviewing welfare and social sector policy and reform. Wellington Town Hall, Wellington.
- Waring, M. (Presentation). Ninth Commonwealth Women's Affairs Ministers Meeting: Economic crisis and social protection: ensuring gender-responsive and sustainable outcomes. Bridgetown, Barbados. (2010, June 7-9).
- Waring, M. (Presentation). Ninth Commonwealth Women’s Affairs Ministers Meeting: Social protection and poverty. Bridgetown, Barbados. (2010, June 7-9).
- Waring, M. Ninth Commonwealth Women’s Affairs Ministers Meeting: one day workshop for the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association. Bridgetown, Barbados. (2010, June 7-9).
- Waring, M. Global economic crisis: How economic systems drive solutions to disadvantaged or create new problems, what needs to change and how Tasmania could do to promote equity, wellbeing and community cohesion. (2009, September 10). TasCOSS 7th Annual Dorothy Pearce Address, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.
- Waring, M. The splendid idea: Dialogues on judging and judicial education in our transforming world. (2009, April 23). Keynote address at the National Judicial Institute of Canada, 20th Anniversary Symposium, Ottawa, Canada.
- Waring, M. Cultural diversity and sustainable education in a changing world. (2009, March 25). Keynote speaker at the 2nd International Conference on Educational Reform (ICER 2009), Mahasarakham University, Thailand.
- Waring, M. Key policy initiatives in equal sharing of responsibilities between women and men, including care-giving in the context of HIV/AIDS. (2009, March 3). Opening keynote panelist at the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women 53rd session, New York, USA. Also panelist for UNDP, Commonwealth Secretariat and Pacific presentations and keynote speaker for IPU at this event.
- Waring, M. Leadership in action: part 1 – preparing for leadership. (2010, July 2). New Zealand Women in Leadership. Bolton Hotel, Wellington.
- Waring, M. Linking research with the development of social policy. (2010, June 22). Conferenz: Reviewing welfare and social sector policy and reform. Wellington Town Hall, Wellington.
- Waring, M. Construction of the ancestry of what is next: a Talanoa for BRCSS 2. (2009, June 12). Paper presented at the BRCSS Conference, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Waring, M. Creating the image we want for the Public Service. (2009, May 15). Paper presented at the Institute of Public Administration and Management, Honiara, Solomon Islands.
- Waring, M. Speaker at Forum topic: Population and Sustainable Economic Development: A Rights Based Approach, NZAID/Family Planning International, Wellington, New Zealand. (2009, July 10).
- Waring, M. An evening with Marilyn Waring: Readings from 1 Way 2 C the World: Writings 1984-2006 at the Ottawa Public Library, Canada. (2009 April 27).