Senior Lecturer in Ecology
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 6559
WU Building, Office 116
46 Wakefield Street, Auckland 1010
Links to relevant web pages:
Google Scholar profile
2009 Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – Plant Ecology, University of Basel, Switzerland
2006 Master of Science (MSc) – Biology (Plant Ecophysiology, Entomology), University of Kaiserslautern, Germany & University of Waikato, New Zealand
2002 Master of Science (MSc) – Geography (Biogeography, Soil Science), Saarland University, Germany
Memberships and Affiliations:
New Zealand Ecological Society
New Zealand Forest Research Institute (Scion)
Bay of Plenty Regional Council
Hawke’s Bay Regional Council
I earned a PhD in Plant Ecology from the University of Basel (Switzerland) in 2009 studying carbon fluxes in a mature deciduous forest under elevated CO2. I stayed on for a brief postdoctoral stint investigating drought responses of forest trees. Following a two-year postdoctoral appointment at the University of Western Australia (2010 – 2012) on the conservation physiology of mediterranean-type woodlands, I took on a full-time permanent position as Quantitative Ecologist/Biostatistician at the New Zealand Forest Research Institute (Scion) working on plant-pathogen interactions and the ecology of invasive wood boring beetles. In February 2017, I joined AUT as Senior Lecturer in Ecology.
Plant Ecology (ECOL701)
Plant & Animal Taxonomy (ENVS624)
Quantitative Analysis (SCIE805)
Graphs R Us – Data Visualisation with R
Advanced Ecological Data Analysis
Plant ecology, tree physiology, plant-insect interactions, plant-pathogen interactions, insect ecology, global change ecology
My research ranges from fundamental to applied ecological questions with a focus on tree water and carbon relations, insect ecology and plant-pathogen interactions. I use a variety of physiological approaches and have a strong background in modern statistical modelling techniques.
I am currently investigating the physiology of natural root grafts in kauri and water relations in mangroves. Moreover, I am involved in two Scion-led MBIE funded research projects concerned with i) biosecurity threats of plant pathogens to New Zealand’s primary agricultural, horticultural and forestry industries and natural ecosystems (‘Healthy Tress Healthy Future’ programme), and ii) developing sustainable solutions for insect pest management to meet the requirements of overseas markets for timber, plant and wood product exports (‘Market Access’ programme).
Current Research Projects:
Ecophysiology of kauri
Kauri dieback – Efficacy of anolyte against Phytophthora agathidicia)
Water relations in mangroves
Tree responses to drought
Modeling insect development rates
Competition among invasive and native insect species
- Redlich S, Clemens J, Bader MKF, Pendrich D, Perrit-Gentil A, Godsoe W, Teulon DAJ & Brockerhoff EG (2018) Identifying new associations between invasive aphids and Pinaceae tree using plant sentinels in botanic gardens. Biological Invasions (Accepted).
- Pawson SM, Bader MKF, Brockerhoff EG, Heffernan WJB, Kerr JL & O’Connor B (2018) Quantifying the thermal tolerance of wood borers and bark beetles for the development of Joule heating as a novel phytosanitary treatment of pine logs. Journal of Pest Science (Accepted).
- Graham NJ, Suontama M, Pleasants T, Yongjun L, Bader MKF, Klápste J, Dungey HS & Williams NM (2018) Assessing the genetic variation of tolerance to red needle cast in a Pinus radiata breeding population. Tree Genetics & Genomes, 14, 55.
- Romo CM, Bader MKF & Pawson SM (2018) Measuring wood-boring depth of Arhopalus ferus (Mulsant) and Prionoplus reticularis White (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) in Pinus radiata logs informs the development of phytosanitary treatments. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata (Accepted).
- Hamish A, Sabetian A, Bader M, Rowlands T (2018) Influence of age, size and condition factor on lipid concentration in the snapper Chrysophrys auratus. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 52, 295-307.
- Gomez-Gallego M, Bader MKF, Scott PM, Leuzinger S & Williams N (2017) Phytophthora pluvialis studies on Douglas fir require Swiss needle cast suppression. Plant Disease 101, 1259-1262.
- Nishar A, Bader MKF, O’Gorman EJ, Deng J, Breen B & Leuzinger S (2017) Temperature effects on biomass and regeneration of vegetation in a geothermal area. Frontiers in Functional Plant Ecology 8, 249.
- Chase KD, Kelly D, Liebhold SM, Bader MKF & Brockerhoff EG (2017) Long-distance dispersal of non‐native pine bark beetles from host resources. Ecological Entomology, 42, 173-183.
- Kerr JL, Kelly D, Bader MKF & Brockerhoff EG (2017) Olfactory cues, visual cues, and semiochemical diversity interact during host location of invasive forest beetles. Journal of Chemical Ecology, 43, 17-25.
- Rolando C, Dick M, Gardner J, Bader MKF & Williams N (2017) Chemical control of two Phytophthora species infecting the canopy of Monterey pine (Pinus radiata). Forest Pathology DOI10.1111/efp.12327.
- Schädel C, Bader MKF, Schuur EGA et al. (2016) Potential carbon emissions dominated by carbon dioxide from thawed permafrost soils. Nature Climate Change, 6, 950-953.
- Bader MKF, Mildner M, Baumann C, Leuzinger S & Körner C (2016) Photosynthetic enhancement and diurnal stem and soil carbon fluxes in a mature Norway spruce stand under elevated CO2. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 124, 110-119.
- Klein T, Bader MKF, Leuzinger S, Mildner M, Schleppi P, Siegwolf RTW & Körner C (2016) Growth and carbon relations of mature Picea abies trees under five years of free air CO2 enrichment. Journal of Ecology, 104, 1720-1733.
- Voelker S, Brooks R, Meinzer F, Anderson R, Bader MKF, Battipaglia G, Becklin, K, Beerling D, Bert D, Betancourts J, Daswon T, Domec J-C, Guyette R, Körner C, Leavitt SW, Linder S, Marshall JD, Mildner M, Ogée J, Panyushkina I, Plumpton H, Pregitzer K, Saurer M, Smith A, Siegwolf RTW, Stambaugh M, Talhelm A, Tardif J, Van de Water P, Ward J & Wingate L (2016) A dynamic leaf gas-exchange strategy is conserved in woody plants under changing ambient CO2: evidence from carbon isotope discrimination in paleo and CO2 enrichment studies. Global Change Biology, 22, 889–902.
- Scott PM, Bader MKF & Williams NM (2016) Foliar phosphite application has minor phytotoxic impacts across a diverse range of conifers and woody angiosperms. Physiologia Plantarum, 158, 124-134.
- Ruthrof KX, Bader MKF, Matusick G, Jakob S & Hardy GESJ (2016) Promoting seedling physiology and early establishment in degraded Mediterranean-type Eucalyptus ecosystems. New Forests, 47, 357-376.
- Romo C, Bader MKF & Pawson SM (2016) Comparative growth and survival of Hylurgus ligniperda (Coleoptera: Scolytinae) and Arhopalus ferus (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) reared on artificial or natural diet at 15 or 25°C. Journal of Economic Entomology 109, 232-239.
- Mildner M, Bader MKF, Baumann C & Körner C (2015) Respiratory fluxes and fine root responses in mature Picea abies exposed to elevated atmospheric CO2 concentrations. Biogeochemistry, 124, 95-111.
- Sopow SL, Bader MKF & Brockerhoff E (2015) Bark beetles attacking conifer seedlings: Picking on the weakest or feasting upon the fittest? Journal of Applied Ecology 52, 220- 227.
- Gardner JF, Dick MA & Bader MKF (2015) Susceptibility of New Zealand flora to Phytophthora kernoviae and its seasonal variability in the field. New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science, 45, 1-14.
- Mildner M, Bader MKF, Leuzinger S, Siegwolf RTW & Körner C (2014) Long-term 13C labeling provides evidence for temporal and spatial carbon allocation patterns in mature Picea abies. Oecologia 175, 747-762.
- Bader MKF, Ehrenberger W, Bitter R, Stevens J, Miller B, Chopard J, Rüger S, Hardy G, Poot P, Dixon KW, Zimmermann U, Veneklaas EJ (2014) Spatio-temporal water dynamics in mature Banksia menziesii trees during drought. Physiologia Plantarum 152, 301-315.
- Pawson SM & Bader MKF (2014) LED lighting increases the ecological impact of light pollution irrespective of color temperature. Ecological Applications, 24, 1561-1568.
- Strand T, Rolando C, Richardson B, Gous S, Bader MKF & Hammond D (2014) An aerial spot-spraying technique: a pilot study to test a method for pest eradication in urban environments. SpringerPlus 3, 750.
- Rolando CA, Gaskin RE, Horgan DB, Williams NM & Bader MKF (2014) The use of adjuvants to improve uptake of phosphorous acid applied to Pinus radiata foliage. New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science, 44, 8.
- Dick MA, Williams NM, Bader MKF, Gardner JF & Bulman LS (2014) Pathogenicity of Phytophthora pluvialis to Pinus radiata and its relation with red needle cast disease in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science, 44, 1-12.
- Bader MKF, Leuzinger S, Keel SG, Siegwolf RTW, Hagedorn F, Schleppi P & Körner C (2013) Central European hardwood trees in a high-CO2 future: synthesis of an 8-year forest canopy project. Journal of Ecology, 101, 1509-1519.
- Zimmermann U, Bitter R, Schüttler A, Ehrenberger W, Rüger S, Bramley H, Siddique K, Arend M, Bader MKF (2013) Advanced plant-based, internet-sensor technology gives new insights into hydraulic plant functioning. Acta Horticulturae 991, 313-320.
- Leuzinger S & Bader MKF (2012) Experimental vs. modeled water use in mature Norway spruce (Picea abies) exposed to elevated CO2. Frontiers in Plant Science, 3, 1-11.
- Scherrer D, Bader MKF & Körner C (2011) Drought-sensitivity ranking of deciduous tree species based on thermal imaging of forest canopies. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 151, 1632-1640.
- Bystriakova N, Bader M, Coomes D (2011) Long-term tree fern dynamics linked to disturbance and shade tolerance. Journal of Vegetation Science, 22, 72-84.
- Bader MKF, Siegwolf RTW & Körner C (2010) Sustained enhancement of photosynthesis in mature deciduous forest trees after 8 years of free air CO2 enrichment (FACE). Planta, 232, 1115-1125.
- Bader MKF & Körner C (2010) No overall stimulation of soil respiration under mature deciduous forest trees after 7 years of CO2 enrichment. Global Change Biology, 16, 2830-2843.
- Bader M, Hiltbrunner E & Körner C (2009) Fine root responses of mature deciduous forest trees to free air carbon dioxide enrichment (FACE). Functional Ecology, 23, 913-921.
- Dulamsuren C, Hauck M, Bader M, Osokhjargal D, Oyungerel S, Nyambayar S, Runge M & Leuschner C (2009) Water relations and photosynthetic performance in Larix sibirica growing in the forest-steppe ecotone of northern Mongolia. Tree Physiology, 29, 99-110.
- Dulamsuren C, Hauck M, Bader M, Oyungerel S, Osokhjargal D, Nyambayar S & Leuschner C (2009) The different strategies of Pinus sylvestris and Larix sibirica to deal with summer drought in a northern Mongolian forest-steppe ecotone suggest a future superiority of pine in a warming climate. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 39, 2520-2528.
- Dulamsuren C, Hauck M, Nyambayar S, Bader M, Osokhjargal D, Oyungerel S & Leuschner C (2009) Performance of Siberian elm (Ulmus pumila) on steppe slopes of the northern Mongolian mountain taiga: Drought stress and herbivory in mature trees. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 66, 18-24.
- 2015 Established Researchers’ Fund, New Zealand Forest Research Institute ‘Climatic influences on tree growth and wood properties – what can we learn from high-precision dendrometers?’ (NZ$ 30,000)
- Science Quality Initiative Award, New Zealand Forest Research Institute