Phone: +64 9 921 9999 extn 6453
WZ Building, 34 St Paul Street
Faculty of Health and Environmental Science
Private Bag 92006
Links to relevant web pages:
- Doctor of Philosophy (Food Science) – Strathclyde University, UK
- Master of Science (Food Biotechnology) – Strathclyde University, UK
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Food Science – Nottingham University, UK
Memberships and Affiliations:
Teaching responsibility: BSc (Food Science)
Teaching responsibility: MSc and PgDip Science
- Current Topics in Food Science
- Advanced Sensory Analysis of Foods
- Recent Trends in Food Science
- Food Science
- Sensory Analysis of Foods
My research in food science is focused on sensory and consumer science, as well as food chemistry. Both of these areas build on my PhD research over 20 years ago. My research expertise in sensory and consumer science uses a combination of sensory and instrumental flavour analysis to examine and predict the relationships between food composition, sensory perception and flavour of a variety of processed and minimally processed foods. I also research the role of auditory cues on flavour and consumer perception of food. My research in food chemistry encompasses how processing techniques can enhance physical, chemical and flavour qualities of food. In this area, I have a strong collaboration with the University of Otago in pulse electric field and high-pressure processing of meat and seafood products.
Current Research Projects:
- Investigation on the role of auditory and visual sensory cues on consumer sensory perception of food.
- Processing of seafood using novel non-thermal technologies.
- Consumer perception of cultured meat
- Kantono, K., Hamid, N., Shepherd, D., Lin, Y.H.T., Brard, C., Grazioli, G., Thomas Carr, B.
The effect of music on gelato perception in different eating contexts
(2018) Food Research International, 113, pp. 43-56.
- Farouk, M.M., Yoo, M.J.Y., Hamid, N.S.A., Staincliffe, M., Davies, B., Knowles, S.O.
Novel meat-enriched foods for older consumers
(2018) Food Research International, 104, pp. 134-142.
- Sotelo, K.A.G., Hamid, N., Oey, I., Pook, C., Gutierrez-Maddox, N., Ma, Q., Ying Leong, S., Lu, J.
Red cherries (Prunus avium var. Stella) processed by pulsed electric field – Physical, chemical and microbiological analyses
(2018) Food Chemistry, 240, pp. 926-934.
- Young, O., Kantono, K., Waiguny, M., Hung, L.-F., Hamid, N.
A graphical equivalent to mandated nutrition information tables
(2018) British Food Journal, 120 (4), pp. 777-787.
- Kong, C.H.Z., Hamid, N., Ma, Q., Lu, J., Wang, B.-G., Sarojini, V.
Antifreeze peptide pretreatment minimizes freeze-thaw damage to cherries: An in-depth investigation
(2017) LWT - Food Science and Technology, 84, pp. 441-448.
- Liu, T., Hamid, N., Kantono, K., Pereira, L., Farouk, M.M., Knowles, S.O.
Effects of meat addition on pasta structure, nutrition and in vitro digestibility
(2016) Food Chemistry, 213, pp. 108-114.
- Liu, T., Hamid, N., Yoo, M.J.Y., Kantono, K., Pereira, L., Farouk, M.M., Knowles, S.O.
Physicochemical and sensory characterization of gnocchi and the effects of novel formulation on in vitro digestibility
(2016) Journal of Food Science and Technology, 53 (11), pp. 4033-4042.
- Ma, Q., Hamid, N., Oey, I., Kantono., K., Faridnia, F., Yoo, M., Farouk, M.
Effect of chilled and freezing pre-treatments prior to pulsed electric field processing on volatile profile and sensory attributes of cooked lamb meats
(2016) Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, 37, pp. 359-374.
- Kantono, K., Hamid, N., Shepherd, D., Lin, Y.H.T., Yakuncheva, S., Yoo, M.J.Y., Grazioli, G., Carr, B.T.
The influence of auditory and visual stimuli on the pleasantness of chocolate gelati
(2016) Food Quality and Preference, 53, pp. 9-18.
- Kantono, K., Hamid, N., Shepherd, D., Yoo, M.J.Y., Carr, B.T., Grazioli, G.
The effect of background music on food pleasantness ratings
(2016) Psychology of Music, 44 (5), pp. 1111-1125.
- Kong, C.H.Z., Hamid, N., Liu, T., Sarojini, V.
Effect of antifreeze peptide pretreatment on ice crystal size, drip loss, texture, and volatile compounds of frozen carrots
(2016) Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 64 (21), pp. 4327-4335.
- Kantono, K., Hamid, N., Shepherd, D., Yoo, M.J.Y., Grazioli, G., Carr, B.T.
Listening to music can influence hedonic and sensory perceptions of gelati
(2016) Appetite, 100, pp. 244-255.
- Zhou, A.Y., Robertson, J., Hamid, N., Ma, Q., Lu, J.
Changes in total nitrogen and amino acid composition of New Zealand Undaria pinnatifida with growth, location and plant parts
(2015) Food Chemistry, 186, pp. 319-325.
- Balbas, J., Hamid, N., Liu, T., Kantono, K., Robertson, J., White, W.L., Ma, Q., Lu, J.
Comparison of physicochemical characteristics, sensory properties and volatile composition between commercial and New Zealand made wakame from Undaria pinnatifida
(2015) Food Chemistry, 186, pp. 168-175.
- Lusk, K.A., Hamid, N., Delahunty, C.M., Jaeger, S.R.
Effects of an evoked refreshing consumption context on hedonic responses to apple juice measured using best-worst scaling and the 9-pt hedonic category scale
(2015) Food Quality and Preference, 43, pp. 21-25.
- Sotelo, K.A.G., Hamid, N., Oey, I., Gutierrez-Maddox, N., Ma, Q., Leong, S.Y.
Effect of pulsed electric fields on the flavour profile of red-fleshed sweet cherries (Prunus avium var. Stella)
(2015) Molecules, 20 (3), pp. 5223-5238.
- Faridnia, F., Ma, Q.L., Bremer, P.J., Burritt, D.J., Hamid, N., Oey, I.
Effect of freezing as pre-treatment prior to pulsed electric field processing on quality traits of beef muscles
(2015) Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, 29, pp. 31-40.
- Boulom, S., Robertson, J., Hamid, N., Ma, Q., Lu, J.
Seasonal changes in lipid, fatty acid, α-tocopherol and phytosterol contents of seaweed, Undaria pinnatifida, in the Marlborough Sounds, New Zealand
(2014) Food Chemistry, 161, pp. 261-269.