Phone: + 64 9 921 9999 ext 5478
120 Mayoral Drive, Auckland, WY Building
Faculty of Business
Auckland University of Technology
Private Bag 92006
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Western Australia
- Master of Commerce (Hons), University of Auckland
- Bachelor of Commerce, University of Auckland
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Editor-in-Chief, Australasian Marketing Journal
- Voted onto the Executive Committee of the Australia and New Zealand marketing Academy (ANZMAC) in 2010. Reference http://www.anzmac.org
- Appointed as member of KAMS Editorial Board http://www.kams.org/1-1e.html
- Member of the American marketing Association, http://www.marketingpower.com
- AUT University Postgraduate Board member
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Marketing
- Australasian Marketing Journal (Editor-in-Chief)
- Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy (Executive Committee)
After a New Zealand business career of some twenty years, Roger read for a PhD in consumer psychology from the University of Western Australia in 1990. Since that time Dr Marshall has been actively engaged in research. Although he has published extensively - in areas such as advertising, family decision- making, personality in marketing, brand equity and retail pricing practice - his main research interests at this time are in marketing of high technology, relationship marketing and behavioural change.
- Marketing management
- Business-to-business marketing
- Consumer behaviour
- Customer Relationship Marketing
- Research methods
- Inducing behavioural change
- Business-to-business Marketing
- Consumer behaviour
- Research methods
Roger has eclectic research interests. His Phd was in cognitive psychology (how people process information to form attitudes) and he publishes regularly in related areas in topics such such as brand equity and advertising research. Lately Professor Marshall has moved more strongly into business-to-business research, publishing research in sales and technology transfer, industrial buying centre dynamics and relationship and service research.He has developed a particular interest in behavioural change. Roger’s research profile is public on Google Scholar Citations.
Current Research Projects:
Currently projects include:
- Experimental work on the Default Option, with colleagues within the Department.
- Marketing aspects of bilingualism with graduate students and Department colleagues.
- Emotions in business-to-business relationships.
- Trust in on- and off-line media
- Research using fuzzy-set QCA
Roger usually has a dozen or so post-graduate students to supervise, in areas ranging from children’s brand affiliation behaviour to managerial decision-making.
- Jungkeun Kim, Mark T. Spence, Roger Marshall (2018), “The Color of Choice: The Influence of Presenting Product Information in Color on the Compromise Effect, Journal of Retailing, ISSN 0022-4359, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2018.01.002.
- Walker, Rachael, Roger Marshall, Kirsten Howard, Rachael Morton and Mark Marshall (2016), “Who matters most? Clinician perspectives of influence and recommendation on home dialysis uptake,” Nephrology, doi: 10.1111/nep.12920.
- Kim, Jungkeun, Jae-Eun Kim and Roger Marshall, (2016), "Are two arguments always better than one? Persuasion Knowledge moderating the effect of integrated marketing communications" European Journal of Marketing, 50(7/8):1399-1425.
- De Villiers Rouxelle, Arch G. Woodside and Roger Marshall, (2016), “Making Tough Decisions Competently: Assessing the Value of Product Portfolio Planning Methods, Devil’s Advocacy, Group Discussion, Weighting Priorities, and Evidenced-Based Information,” Journal of Business Research, 69 (8), 2849-2862
- Marshall Roger and Rouxelle De Villiers, (2015), “Marketing Tourists Gazing into the Tourism Domain,” International Journal of Culture, Tourism and Hospitality Research, Vol. 9(4).
- Yap, Sheau-Fen, Nor Azila Mohammad Noor, Roger Marshall and Kok-Hong Liew (2014), Promoting preventive health behaviour among young Malaysian consumers: Toward an integrated conceptual framework. Australasian Marketing Journal, 22(3) 268-278. doi: 10.1016/j.AUTSAj.2014.08.011.
- Xu, Yingzi, Roger Marshall, Bo. Edvardsson & Bard Tronvoll (2014), Show you care: Initiating co-creation in service recovery. Journal of Service Management, 25(3) 369-387. doi: 10.1108/JOSM-11-2012-0253.
- Sharma, Piyush, Bharadhwaj Sivakumeran & Roger Marshall (2014), Exploring Impulse Buying in Services: Towards an Integrative Framework. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 42(2), 154-170. doi: 10.1007/s11747-013-0346-5.
- Kim, Jungkeun, Jae-Eun Kim and Roger Marshall, (2014), The search for the underlying mechanism of framing effects in multi-alternative and multi-attribute decision situations. Journal of Business Research, 67(3, March), 378–385. doi: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2012.12.024
- Ling I-Ling, Roger Marshall, Yingzi Xu and Wan-Ying Lin (2014), Jaypatient-induced service sabotage behavior: The issue of self-esteem of hospital nurse. Health Marketing Quarterly, 31(3), 213-230. doi: 10.1080/07359683.2014.936288
- 2003, Teacher of the Year, Nanyang Technological University Business School, Singapore
- 2002, 2004, Teacher of the Specialization, Nanyang Technological University Business School, Singapore
- 2009, Emerald Outstanding Paper Award, for “Na, WoonBong, Roger Marshall & Arch Woodside (2009). Decision system analysis of advertising agency decisions. Qualitative Market Research, Vol. 12, No.2, p.153-170.