Phone: + 64 9 921 9999 ext 5478
120 Mayoral Drive, Auckland, WY Building
Faculty of Business
Auckland University of Technology
Private Bag 92006
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Western Australia
- Master of Commerce (Hons), University of Auckland
- Bachelor of Commerce, University of Auckland
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Editor-in-Chief, Australasian Marketing Journal
- Voted onto the Executive Committee of the Australia and New Zealand marketing Academy (ANZMAC) in 2010. Reference http://www.anzmac.org
- Appointed as member of KAMS Editorial Board http://www.kams.org/1-1e.html
- Member of the American marketing Association, http://www.marketingpower.com
- AUT University Postgraduate Board member
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Marketing
- Australasian Marketing Journal (Editor-in-Chief)
- Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy (Executive Committee)
After a New Zealand business career of some twenty years, Roger read for a PhD in consumer psychology from the University of Western Australia in 1990. Since that time Dr Marshall has been actively engaged in research. Although he has published extensively - in areas such as advertising, family decision- making, personality in marketing, brand equity and retail pricing practice - his main research interests at this time are in marketing of high technology, relationship marketing and behavioural change.
- Marketing management
- Business-to-business marketing
- Consumer behaviour
- Customer Relationship Marketing
- Research methods
- Inducing behavioural change
- Business-to-business Marketing
- Consumer behaviour
- Research methods
Roger has eclectic research interests. His Phd was in cognitive psychology (how people process information to form attitudes) and he publishes regularly in related areas in topics such such as brand equity and advertising research. Lately Professor Marshall has moved more strongly into business-to-business research, publishing research in sales and technology transfer, industrial buying centre dynamics and relationship and service research.He has developed a particular interest in behavioural change. Roger’s research profile is public on Google Scholar Citations.
Current Research Projects:
Currently projects include:
- Experimental work on the Default Option, with colleagues withing the Department; some manuscripts under review, others in progress.
- Inducing doctors to wash their hands; with Ogilvy and Mather, the Waitemata District Health Board and several Department colleagues.
- Reduction of accidental harm to small children from hazardous substances. Working with Ogilvy and Mather and the Environmental Protection Authority.
- Work on Marketing aspects of bilingualism with graduate students and Department colleagues. One manuscript ready to go and several more in progress.
Roger usually has around a dozen post-graduate students to supervise, in areas ranging from children’s brand affiliation behaviour to managerial decision-making. All of these collaborations will result in published papers either during or immediately subsequent to completion of the doctoral programme.
- Yap, Sheau-Fen, Nor Azila Mohammad Noor, Roger Marshall and Kok-Hong Liew (2014), Promoting preventive health behaviour among young Malaysian consumers: Toward an integrated conceptual framework. Australasian Marketing Journal, 22(3) 268-278. doi: 10.1016/j.AUTSAj.2014.08.011.
- Xu, Yingzi, Roger Marshall, Bo. Edvardsson & Bard Tronvoll (2014), Show you care: Initiating co-creation in service recovery. Journal of Service Management, 25(3) 369-387. doi: 10.1108/JOSM-11-2012-0253.
- Sharma, Piyush, Bharadhwaj Sivakumeran & Roger Marshall (2014), Exploring Impulse Buying in Services: Towards an Integrative Framework. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 42(2), 154-170. doi: 10.1007/s11747-013-0346-5.
- Kim, Jungkeun, Jae-Eun Kim and Roger Marshall, (2014), The search for the underlying mechanism of framing effects in multi-alternative and multi-attribute decision situations. Journal of Business Research, 67(3, March), 378–385. doi: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2012.12.024.
- Ling I-Ling, Roger Marshall, Yingzi Xu and Wan-Ying Lin (2014), Jaypatient-induced service sabotage behavior: The issue of self-esteem of hospital nurse. Health Marketing Quarterly, 31(3), 213-230. doi: 10.1080/07359683.2014.936288.
- Marshall, Roger, David Bibby and Na WoonBong (2013), Making sense of complex marketing decision systems: Decision System Analysis. International Journal of Business and Economics, 12(2) 121-130.
- Shih-Yun Hsu, Arch G. Woodside and Roger Marshall (2013), Critical Tests of Multiple Theories of Cultures' Consequences: Comparing the Usefulness of Models by Hofstede, Inglehart and Baker, Schwartz, Steenkamp, as well as GDP and Distance for Explaining Overseas Tourism Behavior. Journal of Travel Research, 52(6), 679-704. doi:10.1177/0047287512475218.
- Sharma, Piyush, Bharadhwaj Sivakumeran & Roger Marshall (2013), Looking beyond Impulse buying: A Cross-cultural and multi-domain Investigation of the Consumer Impulsiveness Trait. European Journal of Marketing, 48(5/6), 1159 – 1179.
- Marshall, Roger and Poh Tze Peng, (2014), The parable of a little research: Making money from an Internet trading portal, in Arch Woodside, Roger Marshall, Hugh Pattinson (Eds.) A Field Guide For Business-To-Business Case Study Research . Emerald Publishers (Forthcoming)
- Marshall, Roger, David Bibby, Na WoonBong, (2014), Making sense of complex marketing decision systems: Decision System Analysis, in Arch Woodside, Roger Marshall, Hugh Pattinson (Eds.) A Field Guide to Case Study Research in Business-to-Business Marketing and Purchasing. Advances in Business Marketing & Purchasing. Emerald Publishers, Volume 21, 211-226.
- Wen-Hsien, Lai and Roger Marshall, (2014) A fuzzy logic analysis of service flexibility in Taiwanese manufacturing; the issue and the research response, Arch Woodside, Roger Marshall, Hugh Pattinson (Eds.) A Field Guide to Case Study Research in Business-to-Business Marketing and Purchasing. Advances in Business Marketing & Purchasing. Emerald Publishers, Volume 21, 255-270.
- Hyde, Kenneth, Eathar Abdul-Ghani and Roger Marshall (2014), Consumer engagement as a motivational construct: Evidence from consumption experiences in an online auction, ACR Latin American Conference, Guadalajara, Mexico.
- Rajah, Edwin, Marshall, Roger & Baxter, Roger (2014), The indirect influence of positive emotions on the relationship between co-creation, trust and satisfaction in a B2B setting, Australian New Zealand Marketing Academy 2014 Conference, Brisbane, 1 Dec - 3 Dec.
- 2003, Teacher of the Year, Nanyang Technological University Business School, Singapore
- 2002, 2004, Teacher of the Specialization, Nanyang Technological University Business School, Singapore
- 2009, Emerald Outstanding Paper Award, for “Na, WoonBong, Roger Marshall & Arch Woodside (2009). Decision system analysis of advertising agency decisions. Qualitative Market Research, Vol. 12, No.2, p.153-170.