Associate Professor, Senior Lecturer in Physiotherapy, Research Officer
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext 7167
Room AA116, AUT North Shore Campus,
90 Akoranga Drive, Northcote,
Auckland 0627, New Zealand
Department of Physiotherapy, A-11
School of Clinical Sciences
Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences
AUT University, Private Bag 92006,
Auckland 1142, New Zealand
PhD, MSc, BA(Hons), MErgsS, EurErg
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Mawston Institute, Division of Information Technology, Engineering and the Environment, University of South Australia, Australia
- Member, Past President and Past Treasure, New Zealand Ergonomics Society (NZES)
- Professional Member of the Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors, UK
Dr Boocock, together with Dr Felicty Lamm, established the multidisciplinary Centre for Occupational Health and Safety Research within the New Zealand Work Research Institute.
- Quantative Research Methods
- Work-related musculoskeletal disorders – risk factors and interventions
- Biomechanical modelling
- Health and Safety
Current Research Projects:
• Effectiveness of exercise programmes for preventing upper limb
musculoskeletal disorders in a manufacturing workplace
• Biofeedback for manual handling training
• Evidence based reviews on epidemiology of work-related gradual process
disorders: development of an evidence base for the acceptance of ACC
• Cerebral Palsy Gait Analysis
• Three-dimensional foot modelling of children with and without flatfeet.
• The effects of repetitive lifting on postural, psychophysical, and physiological
responses in young and middle aged individuals.
- Weyman, A. and Boocock, M. G. (2014). Managing work-related musculoskeletal disorders - socio-technical ‘solutions’ and unintended psychosocial consequences. In: Derailed organisational interventions (Edited by: M. Karanika-Murray and C. Birom), Springer.
- Boocock, M. G., Holder, L.J. and Mawston, G.A. (2013). The effects of pelvis fixation and lumbar posture on back extensor torque. PREMUS. Eighth International Conference on the Prevention of Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders, Busan, Korea, 7th – 11th July.
- Boocock, M. G., Cullinane, F.L. and Trevelyan, F. (2013). Effectiveness of physiotherapeutic eccentric exercise programmes as a treatment for lateral epicondylitis : a systematic review. PREMUS. Eighth International Conference on the Prevention of Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders, Busan, Korea, 7th – 11th July.Montgomery,T., Boocock, M. G., and Hing, W. (2011). The Effects of Spinal Posture and Pelvic Fixation on Trunk Rotation Range of Motion. Clinical Biomechanics, doi:10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2011.02.010.
- Holder, L., Mawston, G.A. and Booccok, M. A. (2013), The effects of lumbar posture on back extensor torque and paravertebral muscle activation. NZMPA conference. “Piecing together the puzzle: screening, diagnosis and categorisation in musculoskeletal physiotherapy”. Best new presentation.
- Montgomery,T., Boocock, M. G., and Hing, W. (2011). The Effects of Spinal Posture and Pelvic Fixation on Trunk Rotation Range of Motion. Clinical Biomechanics, doi:10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2011.02.010.
- Boocock, M. G., Mawston, G. and Smith, R. (2010). Chapter 44. The effects of repetitive lifting on lumbar spinal motion in a young and middle-aged population. In: Advances in Occupational, Social and Organizational Ergonomics (Edited by: Peter Vink and Jussi Kantola), CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group. ISBN: 9781439835074.
- ACC-DoL (2010) Guidelines to using computers: Preventing and managing discomfort, pain and injury. publication. ACC5637, ISBN 978-0-478-36206-0 (Print), ISBN978-0-478-36207-7 (Web). Contributing authors: Boocock, M. G., Edwin M., Tappin, D., McNair, P.J., Collier, J. Rice D. and Larmer, P. (2010).
- McNair, P. J., Simmonds, M., Boocock, M.G., Larmer, P.J. (2009). Exercise Therapy for the Management of Osteoarthritis of the Hip: a systematic review. Arthritis Research and Therapy, 11:R98 (doi:10.1186/ar2743).
- Boocock, M. G., McNair, P. J., Cicuttini, F. Stuart, A. and Sinclair, T. (2009). The short term effects of running on the deformation of knee articular cartilage and its relationship to biomechanical loads at the knee. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 17, 7, 883-890.
- Boocock, M.G., Collier, J., McNair, P. J., Simmonds, M., Larmer, P.J. and Armstrong, B. (2009). Comment on: Letter to the Editor: A framework for the classification and diagnosis of work-related upper extremity conditions: systematic review. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, 38, 5, 409-410.
- Boocock, M.G., Collier, J., McNair, P. J., Simmonds, M., Larmer, P.J. and Armstrong, B. (2009). A framework for the classification and diagnosis of work-related upper extremity conditions: systematic review. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, 39, 296-311.
- Boocock, M.G., McNair, P. J., Larmer, P.J. (2008). Chapter 6: Risk factors and interventions associated with hand-arm vibration syndrome. In: Biomedical applications of vibration and acoustics in therapy, bioeffects and modeling (edited by: A. Al-Jumaily and A. Alizad). ASME Press, New York, pp111-152.
- Boocock, M.G., McNair, P. J., Larmer, P.J., Armstrong, B., Collier, J., Simmonds, M. and Garrett, N. (2007). Interventions for the prevention and management of neck/upper extremity musculoskeletal conditions: a systematic review. Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 64(5):291-303.
- Mawston, G., McNair, P., Boocock, M. (2007). The effects of prior warning and lifting-induced fatigue on trunk muscle and postural responses to sudden loading during manual handling. Ergonomics, 50(12), 2157-2170.
- Mawston, G., McNair P. J. and Boocock, M. G. (2007). The effects of prior exposure, warning and initial standing posture on muscular and kinematic responses to sudden loading of a hand-held box. Clinical Biomechanics, 22(3), 275-281.
- Schaefer, P., Boocock, M., Rosenberg, S., Jäger, M. and Schaub, K. (2007). A target-based population approach for determining the risk of injury associated with manual pushing and pulling. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 37, 893-904.
- Boocock, M.G., Weyman, A.K. and McIlroy, R. (2006). Bedside safety rails: assessment of strength requirements and the appropriateness of current designs. Ergonomics, 49, 7, 631-650.
- Boocock, M.G., Haslam, R.A., Lemon, P. and Thorpe, S. (2006). Force and postural adaptations when pushing and pulling on floor surfaces with good and reduced resistance to slipping. Ergonomics , 49, 9, 801-821.