Head of School
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext 7952
Room AR 403, School of Education, AUT North Shore Campus
90 Akoranga Drive, Northcote, Auckland.
School of Education, AUT North Shore Campus
Private Bag 92006, Auckland 1142.
- Master of Arts (Durham, UK)
- Bachelor of Arts (University of Natal, South Africa)
- Honours (Unisa, South Africa)
- University Education Diploma (University of Natal, South Africa)
- Diploma of Specialized Education (Edgewood College of Education, South Africa).
Memberships and Affiliations:
Lyn is Head of School and has been involved in Teacher Education for more than 30 years, working across the early childhood, primary and secondary sectors. She emigrated from South Africa in the 1990s and worked at Bethlehem Tertiary Institute before joining AUT in 2008.
Lyn was a secondary teacher for the first nine years of her teaching career. Her academic interests include the professional practice of teaching, with a special interest in teaching children from diverse ethnicities.
Her major research interests centre on the use of eportfolio in initial teacher education and the settlement experiences (including schooling) of 'invisible' immigrant groups.
- Teaching the ethnically diverse student population
- Social Studies
- Professional Inquiry and Practice.
- Migration and settlement
- Key competencies.
Current Research Projects:
- Student perceptions of learning through ePortfolios
- Social Studies and the key competencies.
- Lewis, L. & Gerbic, P. (2012). The student voice in using ePortfolios to address professional standards in a teacher education programme. Journal of Teaching and Learning for Graduate Employability, 3(1), 17-25.
- Lewis, L. (2012). "It's your spell-checked version of yourself": Student perceptions around (re)presenting 'self' through eportfolio, pp. 88-93, ePIC Conference Proceedings, London: United Kingdom.
- Gerbic, P., & Lewis, L. (2012). Developing sustainable practice with ePortfolios: taking a blended approach? ASCILITE Conference Proceedings, December 2012, Wellington: New Zealand.
- Gerbic, P., & Lewis, L. (2011).; Dimensions of ePortfolios: Research perspectives from a teacher education programme, pp. 19-34. Educational Provocation, School of Education, AUT University.
- Gerbic, P., Lewis, L., & Md Amin, N. (2011). Student perspectives of ePortfolios: Change over four semesters. ASCILITE Conference Proceedings, December 2011, Hobart: Tasmania.
- Gerbic, P., Lewis, L., & Northover, M. (2009). Student perspectives of ePortfolios: A longitudinal study of growth and development. ASCILITE Conference Proceedings, December 2009, Auckland: New Zealand.