Senior Lecturer Japanese, Associate Head of School
Phone: 64 9 921 9999 ext 6080
Level 8 AUT Tower, corner of Wakefield and Rutland streets, Auckland Central.
Memberships and Affiliations:
- NZALT (New Zealand Association of Language Teachers)
- ALANZ (Applied Linguistics Association of New Zealand)
- AUT Learning and Teaching Committee.
Debbie Corder is Associate Head of the School of Language and Culture. She has taught at tertiary and secondary levels in both the UK and New Zealand, and is currently teaching Japanese and Intercultural Competence in the BA programmes.
Debbie has been a freelance translator in the UK, Solomon Islands and New Zealand, and is co-author of a series of textbooks for high school Japanese, and a textbook of Japanese grammar.
Debbie's research interests are in computer assisted language learning (CALL), learner autonomy, learner differences, motivation and assessment. Her more recent research interests are intercultural communicative competence, web 2.0 and 3D technologies, and online communities of learning.
The MA Debbie gained from Massey University looked at the relationship between CALL and the development of learner autonomy. In June 2004, jointly with colleague Grant Waller, she won a National Tertiary Teachers Excellence award for Excellence in Innovation for the research and development of software for learning Kanji.
- Corder, D. & Waller, G. (2007). Using a CALL package as a platform to develop effective language learning strategies and facilitate autonomous learning. In L. Miller (Ed.). Learner autonomy: Autonomy in the classroom. Dublin. Authentik Language Learning Resources Ltd.
- Corder, D. & Moffat, S. (2005). Teach them how to fish the link between portfolios and competencies. The New Zealand Language Teacher, 31.
- Corder, D. and Waller G. (2005). An analysis of the effectiveness of an in-house CALL software package for the learning and teaching of kanji (Japanese characters) and the development of autonomous language learning skills. CALL-EJ Online, 7 (1). http://www.tell.is.ritsumei.ac.jp/callejonline/journal/7-1/Corder-Waller.html.
- Corder, D. and Waller G. (2004). The QTKanji software package. Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards 2004. Wellington: The New Zealand Qualifications Authority, 46-50.
- Corder, D., Roughan, C., Short, J., & Wells, G. (1997). Japanese Grammar: A guide for students. Auckland: Heinemann Education.
- Corder, D., Roughan, C., Short, J., & Wells, G. (1995-1997). Getting There in Japanese. (series of eight books for secondary school Japanese). Auckland: Heinemann Education.