Head of School Social Sciences and Public Policy; Associate Dean Postgraduate
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext 9349
Room 1413, Level 14
Corner Wakefield and Rutland Streets
Private Bag 92006
- PGDLS (Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Studies)
- LLB (Bachelor of Laws)
- BA (Bachelor of Arts).
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit (CNZM) for services to journalism, 2004
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Massey University 2010
- Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Waikato 2009
- Honorary Fellow Wolfson College, Cambridge, 2008 following connection with the Nuffield Press Programme, Wolfson College, as its inaugural fellow
- New Zealand Visiting Studies Fellowship, Edinburgh University 1999.
Professor Judy McGregor, Head of the School of Social Sciences and Public Policy, is Associate Dean with responsibility for Postgraduate Studies.
As a former newspaper academic with a PhD in political communication she has expertise in media sociology, in media representation, in aspects of crime news and "moral panic", in freedom of expression and new media issues, in balance and fairness and regulatory aspects relating to the media and in sport's news.
As a former Equal Employment Opportunities Commissioner with the New Zealand Human Rights Commission, Judy has wide expertise in human rights and social justice issues. Her specific interests lie in discrimination issues, women's rights, gender equality in governance, management professional and public life, equal pay and the employment of ethnic and minority groups.
As a trained lawyer Judy is interested in all aspects of human rights law particularly civil and political rights and is currently engaged in New Zealand Law Foundation-funded research assessing the impact of New Zealand’s ratification of the international treaty bodies.
Judy is author or editor of seven books, including four journalism texts and a book exploring the employment of older workers.
She is a trained lawyer, and has held fellowships at Cambridge and Edinburgh Universities.
- Media ethics
- Human rights
- Gender and society.
- Human rights
- Gender equality
- Employment of older people
- The rights of marginal workers such as age care employees
- Media representation
- Freedom of expression
- Crime news
- Civil and political rights
- Strengthening parliamentary democracy.
As former EEO Commissioner I conducted a major inquiry into the work and pay conditions of 20,000 plus predominantly female aged care workers. I am currently researching advocacy through equal pay litigation and civil society campaigns to redress pay inequity.
I have a Law Foundation grant to assess the impact of New Zealand's ratification of human rights treaties
In 2013 the research team which includes the New Zealand Human Rights Commission and the University of Waikato is analysing CERD (race discrimination) and ICESCR(economic, social and cultural rights).
The School is researched the state of Auckland in time for the 2013 local body elections to provide citizens with a report benchmarking progress of the "super city" and of the local government reforms.
Current Research Projects:
I am currently researching in the following four areas:
- Women's representation in gendered governance
- Assessing the impact of New Zealand's ratification of human rights treaties
- The state of Auckland
- Equal pay for carers and low paid women
- Age discrimination.
- McGregor, J. (2005) (Ed) Lifeswork: Celebrating older workers in New Zealand. Wellington: Dunmore Publishing.
- Sedorkin, G. and McGregor J. (2002) Interviewing: a guide for journalists and writers Australia: Allen and Unwin.
- McGregor, J. and Comrie, M. (2002) (Eds) "What's news? Reclaiming journalism in New Zealand Palmerston North: Dunmore Press
- McGregor, J. (1996) (Ed) “ Dangerous democracy: news media politics in New Zealand" Palmerston North: Dunmore Press
- Comrie, M. and McGregor, J (1992) ( Eds) "Whose news?" Palmerston North:Dunmore Publishing.
- McGregor, J. (2012) Equal employment opportunities and human rights law in New Zealand. In Brookers Human Rights Law, Vol 1. Thomson Reuters.
- McGregor, J. (2011) Women in management in New Zealand. In M.J.Davidson and R.J.Burke.Women in management worldwide:progress and prospects. 2nd Edition, Gower, England, pp247-265.
- McGregor, J. (2009) Women in management in New Zealand. In Women in Management — Progress and Proposals, Vol II. UK: Gower.
- McGregor, J. (2008) Equal employment opportunities and human rights law in New Zealand.. In Brookers Human Rights Law, Vol 1. Thomson Reuters.
- McGregor, J. (2007) Widening the debate about quality flexible work: men, age and language. In M. Waring and C. Fouche Managing Mayhem:Work-Life Balance in New Zealand Wellington: Dunmore Publishing.
- McGregor, J. (2005) New Zealand- Combating employment discrimination and older workers in New Zealand: the law, rhetoric and reality. In P.Thew, K. Eastman and J. Bourke. Age discrimination: Mitigating risk in the workplace: CCH Australia Limited.
- McGregor, J. (2003) The rise of women’s power in New Zealand: a reality check. In M.J. Davidson and R.J. Burke (Eds.) Women in Management Worldwide: Progress and Prospects. Oxford: Ashgate Publishing.
- McGregor, J. (2002) Crime news- the cutting edge. In J. McGregor and M. Comrie (Eds) What's news? : reclaiming journalism in New Zealand. Palmerston North: Dunmore Press.
- McGregor, J. (2002) Restating news values. In J. McGregor and M. Comrie (Eds) What's news? Reclaiming journalism in New Zealand.
- McGregor,J. (2001) Employment. Positive Ageing in New Zealand. (Frist Edition)pp. 98-104. Wellington, NZ: Ministry of Social Development.
- McGregor, J., O'Leary, E., Fountaine, S., and Comrie, M (2002) Local government and news. In J. Drage (Ed), Empowering communities? Representation and participation in New Zealand's local government. Wellington: Victoria University Press.
- McGregor, J. and Tweed,D. (2000) Women managers and business owners in New Zealand. In M.J. davidson and R.J. Burke (Eds) Women in Management:current research issues Vol11. Sage: London pp 40-53
- McGregor, J. & Tweed, D. (2000) Linking competence with goal attainment in SME's: An examination by management tenure, size, structure, innovation and growth. In R. Sanchez & A. Heene (Ed.), Research in Competence-Based Management (6C), Advances in Applied Business Strategy United States: JAI Press Inc (pp.287-303).
- McGregor, J. (2000) The New Zealand Experience-Training to be on a board as a director. In R.J. Burke and M.C. Mattis Women on Corporate Boards of Directors:Internmational Challenges and Opportunities. Kluwer Academioc Publishers\: Boston, pp 129-144.
- McGregor, J. (2000) The mass media and sport. In C. Collins (Ed) Sport in New Zealand society. Dunmore Press: Palmerston North. Pp 187-194.
- McGregor, J. (1999) The dilemma of the news media: "in the public interest" versus "of public interest" only. In N. Monin, J. Monin and R. Walker (Eds.) Naratives of Business and Society in New Zealand: Parallel voices. Addison, Wesley Longman.
- McGregor, J. and Harvey,J. (1999) Image is everything: the rise of sport PR in New Zeasland. In L. Trenberth and C.Collins (Eds.) in Sport Management New Zealand. Palmerston North: Dunmore Press.
- McGregor, J. (2010) Who needs gender research and what’s its role in the 21st century? A personal reflection. Gender in Management – an International Journal. Vol 25 (4) pp 269-274.
- Shilton, J. McGregor,J. and Tremaine, M. (2010) Feminizing the boardroom: a study of the effects of corporatization on the number and status of women directors in New Zealand companies. Vol 25 (4) pp275-284. (This paper was first published in Women in Management Review in 1996 and was published in this issue of the journal,now renamed, as part of a series of papers celebrating 25 years of the journal.).
- McGregor, J. (2006) The pervasive power of man-made news. Pacific Journalism Review. 12(1) pp.21-34.
- McGregor, J. (2006). Who runs New Zealand? Sex, Power and Politics. Making the Link Affirmative Action and Employment Relations. 17. pp 31-33.
- Tweed, D. and McGregor, J. (2005). Learning and leadership in the New Zealand biotechnology industry:Innovation and human capital in the new economy. International Business and Economics Research Journal.l 4 (4) pp 45-54.
- McGregor, J., Tweed, D.M., & Pech, R.J. (2004). Human capital in the new economy: Devil’s bargain? Journal of Intellectual Capital. 5(1). pp. 153-164.
- Gray, L. and McGregor, J. (2003) HRD and older worker stereotypes in New Zealand. Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resource Management. 41. 2003, pp 338-353.
- McGregor, J. and Tweed, D. (2002) Profiling a new generation of female small business owners in New Zealand: networking, mentoring and growth. Gender, Work and Organization. 9, (4.) August 2002, pp. 419-437.
- McGregor, J. and Gray, L. (2002) Stereotypes and older workers: the New Zealand experience. Social Policy Journal. 18. June 2002, pp. 163-177.
- McGregor, J. & Tweed, D. (2001) Gender and managerial competence: support for theories of androgyny?. Women in Management, Vo l 16 (nos 5/6), pp. 279-286.
- McGregor, J. (2001) Leadership of older women workers: Strategies to prevent the triple jeopardy of ageism, sexism and invisibility. In A.Kinnear & L. Green (Eds.), Women in Leadership: Commemorative Issue of Selected Conference Papers 1998-2000, (Vol. 1) (pp. 156-163). February 14-17, 1999, Fremantle, Australia. Perth, Western Australia:Edith Cowan University.
- Fountaine, S. and McGregor, J. (2000) The loneliness of the long distance gender researcher: are journalists right about the coverage of women’s sport? Australian Journalism Review, Vol. 21, No.3.
- Simpson, B., McGregor, J., Seidel, R., Kolb, D., Henley-King, J. and Tweed, D. (2000) Learning in the manufacturing sector. University of Auckland Business Review, 2 (1), 39-50.
- McGregor, J. (2000). Stereotypes and symbolic annihilation: Press constructions of women at the top. Women in Management Review, Vol. 15 (nos 5/6), pp. 290-295.
- Fountaine, S. & McGregor, J. (2000). Teaching gender equality in the news: new ways of thinking. Journal of Educational Review.
- McGregor, J. (2000) The New Zealand Experience — Training to be on board as a director. In R.J. Burke and M.C. Mattis Women on corporate boards of directors. Kluwer Academic Publishers: Boston, pp.129-144.
- McGregor, J., Fountaine, S., and Comrie, M. (2000) The impact of public journalism on New Zealand election coverage. Political Communication. Vol.17, No.2, 133-148.
- McGregor, J. (1999) Spin and the Scottish poll. British Journalism Review Vol 10, No 4, 1-7.
- McGregor, J., Fountaine, S., and Comrie, M. (1999) Beyond the feel-good factor. Measuring Public Journalism in the 1996 New Zealand General Election. Harvard International Journal of Press/Politics. Vol.4, No.1, 66-77.
- McGregor, J., and Gomes, C. (1999) Researching Technology Uptake in Small and Medium Enterprises - the New Zealand experience. Journal of Small Business Management. Vol.37, No.3, 94-102.
Technical reports and discussion papers
- McGregor,J and O’Shea,S. (2012) Caring Counts, Tautiaki Tika. Human Rights Commission. www.neon.org.nz
- McGregor, J. (2012) New Zealand Census of Women’s Participation 2012.
- McGregor, J. and Bell, S. (2012) Strengthening Parliamentary Democracy. Human Rights Commission
- McGregor J. and Hallowell, R. (2011) Human Rights and Water. Human Rights Commission.
- McGregor, J. (2011) Tracking Equality at Work. Human Rights Commission
- McGregor, J. (2011) Tracking Equality at Work for Disabled People. Human Rights Commission
- McGregor, J . (2010) What next? National Conversation about work. Human Rights Commission.
- McGregor, J. (2010) New Zealand Census of Women's Participation 2010. Human Rights Commission: Wellington.
- McGregor, J. (2008) New Zealand Census of Women's Participation 2008. Human Rights Commission: Wellington.
- McGregor, J. and Hallowell,R. (2008) Getting a job: An A to Z for employers and employees, pre-employment guidelines. Human Rights Commission.
- McGregor, J. and Fountaine. S. (2006) New Zealand Census of Women's Participation 2006. Human Rights Commission and New Zealand Centre for Women and Leadership: Wellington.
- Olsson, S. and McGregor, J. (2004) New Zealand Census of Women’s Participation in Governance and Professional Life. Human Rights Commission and New Zealand Centre for Women and Leadership: Wellington.
- McGregor, J. and Gray, L. (2002) Mature job-seekers in New Zealand. Massey University: Palmerston North.
- McGregor, J. and Gray, L. (2003) Older Worker Employment Transition. Massey University: Palmerston North.
- McGregor, J. (2000) Employment of the Older Worker: Survey results. Report to the Human Rights Commission and Engineering, Printing and Manufacturers Union.
- McGregor, J. (1999) Combating, coaxing and coping with the media: A guide for criminal lawyers. Dealing with the media. New Zealand Law Society. (October, 1999).