Senior Lecturer and Programme Leader Conflict Resolution
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext 5116
- MA (Hons) (Auckland)
- PhD (Auckland University)
- GradDipBusStuds (Displute Resolution) (Massey)
- CertTEFL (AUT).
Memberships and Affiliations:
- New Zealand Political Studies Association.
Jane's research interests are broadly centered on international governance and trans-national policy areas.
In particular, her recent research has focused on: Antarctic governance; justice institutions (both domestic and international); and New Zealand refugee policy.
Verbitsky Hibiscus Photo: Courtesy of Dr John Prince, Nestlebrae North Nursery, Kerikeri.
- Conflict resolution
- Regional studies
- International relations.
Current Research Projects:
Antarctica, governance and cryopolitics
My current research focuses on Antarctic governance. Because of the lack of a sovereign government in Antarctica, the continent is governed through a unique, multilateral condominium governance system known as the Antarctic Treaty System (ATS).
I have a particular interest in the key ATS decision-making group, the twenty eight Consultative Parties, and the tourism policy framework they have created in the white continent.
Tourism in Antarctica has increased significantly since the 1980s, but I have argued that ATS tourism initiatives have not kept pace with real-time changes, and that the Consultative Parties need urgently to address and rectify this situation (preferably through a dedicated Tourism Convention) in order to maintain their legitimacy as the self-designated stewards of Antarctica.
Another set of Antarctic research interests lies in cosmopolitan democracy and environmental justice, and how these ideas relate to the composition of the ATS decision-making group and to Antarctica’s role and status in the international system.
There are some compelling, unanswered questions around these cryopolitical issues — for instance, is Antarctica an international commons, a global commons, or is it a Common Heritage of Mankind? Is the ATS the most appropriate governance system for the continent, or should Antarctic governance be overseen by the United Nations as the most globally representative inter-governmental organization?
- Verbitsky, Jane (In Press) "Antarctica: Environment, Sustainability and Tourism", in Destination Management: An Economic Analysis, eds., Manuela Sarmento & Alvaro Matias, Universidade Lusíada, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Verbitsky, Jane (2013) "Titanic Part Two? Tourism, Uncertainty and Insecurity in Antarctica", in The Emerging Politics of Antarctica, ed., Anne-Marie Brady, Routledge: Advances in International Relations and Global Politics series, London & New York.
- Verbitsky, Jane (2013) "Antarctic Tourism Management and Regulation: The Need for Change", Polar Record. Vol. 49, 155.3.
- Devere, Heather, Mark, Simon & Verbitsky, Jane (2011) "A History of the Language of Friendship in International Treaties", International Politics, Vol.48, Iss.1.
- Verbitsky, Jane (2010) "Antarctica: The Ticking Clock" in Environmental Law, Ethics and Governance, ed., Erika Techera, ID Press, Oxford, UK.
- Verbitsky, Jane (2009) "What Should Be The Relationship Between The International Criminal Court and the United Nations Security Council in the Case of Aggression?", in USAK Yearbook of International Politics and Law, Vol.2, eds., Sedat Laciner, Mehmet Ozcan, Ihsan Bal & Halil Ibrahim Bahar, International Strategic Research Organization, Ankara, Turkey.
- Verbitsky, Jane (2009) "Antarctica: Common Resource or Developer's Dream?", in Environmental Ethics, Sustainability and Education, ed., Estelle Weber, ID Press, Oxford, UK.
- Verbitsky, Jane (2008) "What Should Be The Relationship Between The International Criminal Court and the United Nations Security Council in the Case of Aggression?” Review of International Law and Politics, Vol.4, No.14.
- Devere, Heather & Verbitsky, Jane (2007) "Peer Mediation: Principles, Practices and Possibilities in Aotearoa New Zealand", Arbitrators and Mediators Association of New Zealand Annual Conference Proceedings, AAMINZ, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Verbitsky, Jane (2006) "Refugee Policy" in New Zealand Politics and Government, 4th ed., Raymond Miller, ed., Oxford University Press, Melbourne, Australia.
- Devere, H., McDermott, K. & Verbitsky, J. (2006) "Just a Refugee: Rights and Status of Refugees in New Zealand” in Forced Migration and Global Processes, eds. Collyer, M., Nakache, D. et al, Lexington Books, Maryland, USA.
- Verbitsky, Jane (2005) ":Strangers at the Gate: New Zealand Refugee Policy in the 21st Century", International Conference on Racisms in the New World Order: Realities of Culture, Colour and Identity: Conference Proceedings, University of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia.
- Devere, Heather & Verbitsky, Jane (2004) "Communities of Practice: Teaching and Learning for a Culture of Peace", in Walking to Different Beats: Good Practice and Innovation in Higher Education, B Yourn & S Little (eds.), Dunmore Press, Palmerston North, New Zealand.
- Davies, E., Devere, H. & Verbitsky, J. (2004) "Court Education for Young Witnesses: Evaluation of the Pilot Service in Aotearoa New Zealand", Psychiatry, Psychology and Law, Vol.11, No.2.
- Davies, E., Fortune, C., Verbitsky, J. Seymour, F., Devere, H. & Smith, L. (2003) Evaluation of the Court Education for Young Witnesses Pilot Service, Institute of Public Policy for the Department for Courts, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Devere, H., Little, S., Myers, B., Verbitsky, J. & Vile, C. (2002) "Publications Syndicates Supporting Research Development", Innovations and Links: Research Management and Development and Postgraduate Education, AUT University, Auckland (on-line publication), www.aut.ac.nz/conferences/innovation/papers/shml.
- Devere, H, Kajtaz, T, Liev, M.H., Mazllom, L, McDermott, K, Murati, Q & Verbitsky, J. (2002) "Improving Resettlement Support for Kosovan Refugees in New Zealand," Forced Migration Review, No. 14, July 2002.
- Devere, H., Kajitazi, T., Liev, M. H., Mazllom, L., McDermott, K., Murati, Q & Verbitsky, J. (2001) Kosovars in New Zealand: A Special Case of Refugee Resettlement, Sociological Association of Australia and New Zealand Conference Proceedings, Hamilton, New Zealand.
- Devere, Heather, Kajitazi, Teuta, Liev, Man Hau, Mazllom, Lumi, McDermott, Keryn. Murati, Qemajl, Verbitsky, Jane (2001) Kosovaret ne Zealande te Re, Fjala Jone, No.12, March 2001, Auckland, New Zealand.