Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext 8167
- Ph.D. Marketing and Management, Bicocca University of Milan, Italy. Doctoral Research at School of Resource and Environmental Management, Simon Fraser University – Vancouver, Canada.
- Dottore Magistrale in Computer Science, University of Milan, Italy.
- Post-graduate Certification in Education and Pedagogy, Bicocca University of Milan, Italy.
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Travel and Tourism Research Association – TTRA
- Tourism Education Future Initiatives – TEFI
- International Federation for IT and Travel & Tourism – IFITT
Dr Massimo Morellato was research coordinator in Whistler BC for '2010 Olympic Legacy Research' in collaboration with BC Ministry of Tourism Culture and Arts. His exploratory investigation focused on mega events and Cultural Olympiad as a strategic tool for creating lasting legacies and competitive advantage for the host community.
Massimo has several years of work experience in the tourism industry as a recreation coordinator, environmental educator, and adventure tour guide. Massimo holds a master's degree in Computer Science and has a wide range of experience working with international teams as a project manager on artificial vision systems, software development and data mining.
In Italy, Massimo has coordinated students' projects and renewed didactical and educational programs. Massimo's research interests span across the disciplines of tourism and marketing and he is particularly attracted by interdisciplinary studies that lead to more sustainable uses of natural and cultural resources.
- Marketing and tourism
- Event legacies
- Network social responsibility and sustainable development
- Sport and adventure recreation
- Mountain and coastal leisure value
- Indigenous protected areas and wilderness
- e-tourism, mobile web and augmented reality
- Tourism education.
Current Research Projects:
- Ski areas in New Zealand. Research project on the evolving ski demand and ski industry, the attitude and preferences of different skiers, how the unique and heterogeneous ski resorts and club fields are experienced and managed.
- Coastal leisure value. The role of leisure amenities in nurturing community development and attracting tourists as well as 'costal commuters' and life-style migrants.
- Supervision of postgraduate research project on Scuba Diving experience in Sihanoukville, Cambodia.
- Morellato, M. (2014). Digital Competence in Tourism Education: Cooperative-experiential Learning, Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism, 14(2), 184-209, DOI:10.1080/15313220.2014.907959
- Morellato, M., Williams, P.W. (2014). Network stakeholder management as an antecedent to effective mega-event legacies development. Conference Proceeding TTRA Travel and tourism research association, Brugge, Belgium.
- Morellato, M. (2014). The Paradigm of Mobile Software Agent in Tourism Applications. Paper presented at IFITT Conference, Dublin, Ireland.
- Morellato M., Farronato, N. Scuotto, V. (2013). Opinion mining in tourism: an emotional tagging and affective representation technique for analyzing customer response. Paper presented at CBTS, Bruneck, Italy.
- Scuotto, V., Morellato, M. (2013). Entrepreneurial Knowledge and Digital Competence: Keys to Success for Student Entrepreneurship. Journal of Knowledge Economy. Vol 4 (2). 1868-7873.
- Morellato, M., Williams, P.W. (2013). Measuring destination reputation; a theoretical framework for a multi-stakeholder assessment instrument. Conference Proceeding TTRA Travel and tourism research association, Dublin, Ireland.
- Morellato, M. (2012). Tourism Destination Reputation: Key Dimensions in Resort Destination Hosting Mega-events Conference Proceeding Going Global in Reputation Economy, Milano, Italy.
- Morellato, M. (2012). Reputational Capital and Olympic Events. Conference Proceedings 6th World Conference Graduate Research Tourism, Hospitality and Leisure, Fethiye (Turkey), 1244-1249. 978-605-5437-83-1.
- Morellato, M. (2012). Reputational Capital and Olympic Events: a case study of Whistler Live! Doctoral dissertation, Bicocca University, Milano, Italy.
- Morellato, M. (2008). Gestión de destinos alpinos. Estudio de estrategias exitosas para destinos de montañas y lugares bajo impacto de las masas de turismo. Revista de análisis turístico. 6, 49-65. 1885-2564.
- Morellato, M. (2008). Alpine Destination Management. Case studies of successful strategies for mountain destinations and venues under impact of mass tourism flows. Paper presented at XVII International Leisure and Tourism Symposium. ESADE, Barcelona, Spain.