Head of Department Tourism and Events; Senior Lecturer
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext 6431
School of Hospitality and Tourism
Faculty of Culture and Society
AUT city campus
55 Wellesley Street East 1010
Private bag 92006
- PhD Tourism Management, Massey University, New Zealand
- Master of Business Studies, Massey University, New Zealand
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration, Massey University, New Zealand
- Master of International Business Law, University of International Business and Economics, China
- Bachelor of Economics, Dongbei University of Finance & Economics, Dalian, China.
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Regional Executive for Oceania Countries – International Tourism Studies Association (ITSA). 2013-2016
- Member of New Zealand Tourism Research Institute, November 2007 to present
- Member of International Tourism Studies Association from 2011 to present
- Editorial Board Member for International Journal of Tourism Cities, 2013 to present
- Scientific Committee for the 5th International Tourism Studies Association Biennial Conference in November, 2014
- Member of Council for Australian University Tourism and Hospitality Education (CAUTHE), 2012
- Research Committee Member, Faculty of Culture and Society, AUT University, February 2008 to March 2010
- Member of Small Enterprise Association of Australia and New Zealand (SEAANZ), 2009 to 2010
- Member of the International Society of Culture, Tourism, and Hospitality Research, USA, 2007 to 2009.
- Executive Representative for Australasia - International Tourism Studies Association (ITSA), 2017-present.
- Editorial Board Member for Journal of China Tourism Research (JCTR), 2015 - current.
- Editorial Board Member for International Journal of Tourism Cities (IJTC), 2013 - current.
- Research Fellow for China Centre Research - New Zealand Contemporary China Research Centre, Victoria University of Wellington, 2017–Present
- Tourism Marketing
- Tourism Management and Entrepreneurship
- Tourism Information and Research
- Tourism Co-operative Education
- Supervision of Postgraduate research projects.
- SMEs and tourism management
- Customer expectation and satisfaction
- Service quality management
- Chinese outbound market
- Sustainable tourism management
- Quantitative and qualitative methods.
Dr Liu graduated with a Ph.D. in Tourism Management from Massey University, New Zealand in 2006. Her thesis researched the development and implementation of a quality measurement and improvement strategy based on a specified combination of two TQM tools - SERVQUAL and QFD.
Dr Liu has a six-year research involvement with the New Zealand tour operators which provided her with first-hand information and knowledge in the operation of tourism business. In recent years, Dr Liu has undertaken research on New Zealand small attraction operators’ perception of the Chinese outbound market and ADS tour operators’ quality assurance strategies.
Claire has supervised Master of International Tourism Management and Master of International Hospitality Management students in the areas of wine tourism, heritage tourism, hospitality green marketing, and sustainable development.
Current Research Projects:
- Chinese outbound tourists' behaviours
- Sustainable tourism management and impacts on consumers' behaviours.
- Liu, C. (2018). The motivations and experiences of young Chinese self-drive tourists. In C. Khoo-Lattimore & E.C.L.Yang. Asian youth travellers: Insights and implications (Eds.). (pp.135-152). Springer.
- Liu, C. (2017). Professional certifications, Travel Agents. In Lowry, L. (Ed.), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Travel and Tourism. Thousand Oaks, MA, SAGE, pp. 972-973. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781483368924.n362
- Liu, C. & Booth, A. (2017). Professional certifications, Event planners. In Lowry, L. (Ed.), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Travel and Tourism. Thousand Oaks, MA, SAGE, pp. 970-971. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781483368924.n361
- Coca-Stefaniak A; Morrison A; Edwards D; Graburn N; Liu C; Pearce P; Seng Ooi C; Pearce D; Stepchenkova S; Richards G et al. (2016).Views from the editorial advisory board of the International Journal of Tourism Cities.
- International Journal of Tourism Cities, 2(4), pp. 273-280. (10.1108/IJTC-10-2016-0041).
- Liu, C. (2016). Facilitation in Tourism. In J. Jafari & H. Xiao (eds.), Encyclopaedia of Tourism (2nd. ed.) 2016. Springer, 10.1007/978-3-319-01669-6.
- Hull, J., Liu, C., & Li, T. (2016). Analysing the effectiveness of the Canadian Tourism Commission’s Signature Experience Collection programme: Perspectives of Canadian ADS tour operators. International perspectives on destination management and tourist experiences: Insights from the International Competence Network of Tourism Research and Education (ICNT). Peter Lang Verlag, Frankfurt, pp. 69-77.
- Liu, C., Yusof, A. N., & Poulston, J. (2016). Customers’ expectations of hotel green marketing: A New Zealand case study. Abstract Collection of the 6th Advances in Hospitality and Tourism Marketing and Management Conference (AHTMM), p.25.
- Liu, C. & Hull, J. S. (2015). ADS Tour Operators’ Perspective of the Chinese Tourism Market and Sustainable Strategies for Developing the Auckland City Destination. International Journal of Tourism Cities, Vol. 1, Issue 3.
- Liu, C. & Li, T. (2014). Impact of China Travel Law and Chinese Tourists’ Behaviour: A New Zealand Case Study. Conference presentation at the 5th International Tourism Studies Association (ITSA) Biennial Conference 26-28 Nov. 2014, Perth, Australia.
- Liu, C. & Chen, X. H. (2014). New Zealand tourism volunteer profiles and motivational factors for volunteering in the cultural heritage attractions. Proceedings of the International Conference on Tourism (ICOT) 2014, 25-28 June, 2014. Dalian, China. (ISSN 1986-4256/ISBN 978-9963-9799-4-3).
- Liu, C. (2014). Facilitation in Tourism. Entry in Encyclopaedia of Tourism (2nd. ed.) 2014. Frankfurt: Springer.
- Liu. C. (2013). Invited panel presentation on " Innovation in SMEs in Tourism: The New Zealand Experience” in the session of "Tourism Research in Support of Policy, Development and Industry Practices". The 7th UNWTO/PATA Forum on Tourism Trends and Outlook in Guilin, China on 21-23 October 2013.
- Liu, C. (2012). Chinese outbound travel agents’ knowledge and understanding of New Zealand as a destination and sustainable development strategies. Conference presentation, Abstract, P. 17, 6th Annual International Conference of International Competence Network for Tourism Research and Education, 27 Nov.-2 Dec. 2012, Kamloops and Sun Peaks, British Columbia, Canada.
- Liu, C. (2012). Approved Destination Status (ADS) inbound operators’ strategies for the quality assurance of Chinese market operation in New Zealand (working paper). Proceedings of the Council for Australian University Tourism and Hospitality Education (CAUTHE) National Conference, 6-9 Feb 2012, p33. La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia. ISBN: 978-0-9870507-1-7 CAUTHE 2012.
- Liu, C. & Neill, L. (2011). Survival strategies: A New Zealand hospitality habitual entrepreneur. Proceedings of the Advances in Hospitality and Tourism Marketing and Management Conference 19-24 June 2011, pp70-75. Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Liu, C. (2011). Approved Destination Status (ADS) and the operation of Chinese outbound market in New Zealand. Presentation at the China Tourism Research Symposium 10 June 2011, School of Tourism, the University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia.
- Liu, C. & Johnston, C. (2010). The Approved Destination Status scheme and the Chinese tourism market operation: The Australasian perspective. Proceedings of the New Zealand Tourism and Hospitality Research Conference 2010, pp.215-227, Adding value through research, 24-26 November 2010, AUT University, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Ustad, B. H. M., Liu, C., & Goodsir, W. (2010). The managers' perspective of the implementation of environmental management systems (EMS) in New Zealand hotels. Proceedings of the New Zealand Tourism and Hospitality Research Conference 2010, pp.19-32, Adding value through research, 24-26 November 2010, AUT University, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Liu, C. (2009). New Zealand small tourism operators’ understanding of the emerging Chinese market and strategies. Proceedings of 2009 SEAANZ Conference, 31 Aug. - 2 Sept. 2009, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Liu, C. (2009). Are New Zealand Tourism SMEs ready for the Chinese market: A focus on quality management. Proceedings of 2009 TTRA Annual Conference, 20-24 June, 2009. Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
- Liu, C. (2007). Changing customer expectations and the challenges for quality service delivery in the tourism industry. ORION Observatory: 21-century guest expectations: The mint on the pillow will not be enough. 26 – 28 October, Suzhou, China. ORION Journal of International Hotel Management. Issue No. 3. p. 71.
- Liu, C. (2007). Visitor satisfaction and continuous quality improvement strategies for small tour operation. Proceedings of the 5th Bi-Annual Symposium of Consumer Psychology of Tourism, Hospitality and Leisure. 4-6 June 2007, Charleston, South Carolina, USA.
- Liu, C. & Vitalis, T. (2006). Combining SERQVUAL and QFD within a strategic management of quality framework. Proceedings of the 11th World Congress for Total Quality Management. 4-6 December 2006, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Liu, C. & Smith, R. W. (2006). The implementation of QFD as quality improvement programme for a cultural tourism operator in New Zealand. Proceedings of the Cutting Edge Research in Tourism Conference. 6-9 June.
- 2006, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK.
- Liu, C., Smith, R.W. & Barnes, D. (2002). The application of SERVQUAL as an initial tool for the implementation of QFD for small tourism attractions in New Zealand. Proceedings of the International Tourism Student Conference. 2-4 December 2002, Rotorua, NZ. pp. 30-37.
- Barnes, D., Liu, C. & Smith, R. W. (2002). Using SERVQUAL as an initial tool for the implementation of QFD for small tour operators. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on ISO 9000 & TQM- Change Management. 2-4 April 2002, Melbourne, Australia, pp. 365-371.
- Smith, R.W. & Liu, C. (2001). Mike & Doug Tamaki: Tamaki Tours Ltd. In A. Cameron, & C. Massey (Eds.), Entrepreneurs at work (pp. 24-33). Massey University: Palmerston North, New Zealand.
- Liu, C. (1998). Application of Quality Function Deployment in the Service Industry. Proceedings of the 5th Annual New Zealand Engineering and Technology Postgraduate Conference, Massey University: Palmerston North, New Zealand.
- AUT Contestable Research Grant 2008
- AUT Contestable Overseas Conference Fund 2009.