Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext 6105
422 WH Building, 49 Wellesley St. East 1010
AUT University — City Campus
Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Private Bag 92006, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
PhD - Hospitality/Tourism Management
Virginia Tech, Pamplin College of Business, Blacksburg, VA, USA
- Dissertation: Work family conflict and its job consequences: From attitudes to behaviors to the bottom-line
- Supervisors: Suzanne Murrmann / Kevin Carlson (co-chairs), Ken McCleary, and Rick Perdue.
MSc — Hospitality Management
The Ohio State University, College of Education & Human Ecology, Columbus, OH, USA
- Thesis: Leader-Member Exchange and Psychological Empowerment Relationship: A Quick Casual Restaurant Employee Study
- Supervisors: Thomas George (Chair), Jay Kandampully, and Wayne Johnson.
Memberships and Affiliations:
Associate Director, New Zealand Tourism Research Institute (NZTRI)
Vice President, Asia-Pacific Council of Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education (APacCHRIE)
Coordinating Editor, International Journal of Hospitality Management (ABDC Journal A* rank)
Associate Editor, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research (ABDC Journal A rank)
Editorial Board Member,
Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research (ABDC Journal B rank)
Employee Relations: The International Journal (ABDC Journal B rank)
Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management (ABDC Journal A rank)
Journal of Service Management (ABDC Journal A rank)
Editor, Proceedings of the 13th Annual Conference of Asia Pacific Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education
- International Council of Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education (I-CHRIE)
- Council for Australasian University Tourism and Hospitality Education (CAUTHE)
- New Zealand Work & Labour Market Institute
Dr Peter B. Kim is an Associate Professor in the School of Hospitality and Tourism and an Associate Director of the New Zealand Tourism Research Institute at AUT University. He has a variety of hospitality work experiences from the entry-level to managerial-level at various hotel properties such as Park Hyatt, Sofitel, Marriott and Westin.
Peter's research interests include strategic Human Resource Management and Service Marketing/Management in the hospitality and tourism context. He has examined hospitality/tourism organizations' strategic decisions in dealing with their internal customers to ensure quality services which eventually affect business performance (i.e., Strategic Human Resource Management), and dealing with their external customers (i.e., Service Marketing/Management).
Taught at Virginia Tech, USA
- Hospitality Human Resource Management
- Intro to Service Management
- Policy and Strategic Management
- Travel/Tourism Management
- Field study in HTM
Teach at AUT University
- Hospitality Marketing Research (Postgraduate)
- Marketing Research in Hospitality and Tourism (Postgraduate)
- Hospitality Human Resource Management
- Hospitality Sales and Marketing
- Hospitality Accounting and Finance
- Hospitality Co-op Research
- Service Management and Marketing
- Strategic Human Research Management
- Research Methods.
Recent refereed journal articles
- Kim, B. P., Lee, G., & Jang, J. (In press). Employee empowerment and its contextual determinants and outcome for service workers: A cross-national study. Management Decision, 55, 5. (ABDC Journal B rank)
- Kruesi, M., Kim, P. B., & Hemmington, N. (2017). Evaluating foreign market entry mode theories from a hotel industry perspective.International Journal of Hospitality Management,62, 88-100. (ABDC Journal A* rank)
- Kim, J., Kim, P. B., & Kim, J. E. (2017). Different or Similar Choices: The Effect of Decision Framing on Variety Seeking in Travel Bundle Packages.Journal of Travel Research, 0047287516684977. (ABDC Journal A* rank)
- Kim, B. P., Poulston, J., & Sankaran, A. C. (2016). An examination of Leader-Member-Exchange (LMX) agreement and its relationship with the work outcomes of hospitality employees. Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management, 1.-21.(ABDC Journal A rank)
- Lee, G., Kim, B. P., and Perdue, R. R. (2016). A longitudinal analysis of an accelerating effect of empowerment on job satisfaction: Customer-contact vs. non-customer-contact workers.International Journal of Hospitality Management,57, 1-8. (ABDC Journal A* rank)
- Kim, B. P. & Carlson, K. D. (2016). Agreement on service performance ratings between frontline employees and their supervisor. Journal of Service Theory and Practice, 26(5), 721-740. (ABDC Journal A rank)
- Kim, B. P., Kim S., Kim, S. S., & Kim, J. (2016). Organizational drivers and outcomes of service employees’ work adaptability. Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management. doi: 10.1080/19368623.2016.1194798 (ABDC Journal A rank)
- Wang, P., Kim, B. P., & Milne, S. (2016). Leader–Member Exchange (LMX) and its work outcomes: The moderating role of gender among New Zealand hospitality employees. Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management. doi:10.1080/ 19368623.2016.1185989 (ABDC Journal A rank)
- Kim, P. B., Nemeschansky, B., & Brandt, L. (2016). An exploratory study of determinants for restaurant severs’ actual tip earnings: Individual characteristics and work conditions. Journal of Foodservice Business Research, 1-19. (ABDC Journal C rank)
- New Zealand Business Events Award, presented by Hon Steve Joyce, Minister of Economic Development, October, 2014
- Best Paper Award. the 3rd International Research Symposium in Service Management at Beijing, China, July 2012.
- Vice Chancellor's Research Excellence Award (Emerging Researcher), AUT University, December, 2011.
- Faculty Research Excellence Award (Emerging Researcher), AUT University, November, 2011.
- Best Paper Award (Runner Up). 2nd International Research Symposium in Service Management at Indonesia, July 2011.
- Pamplin Outstanding Doctoral Student Award. Pamplin College of Business, Virginia Tech. April 2010.
- Darden Restaurants Foundation Graduate Prize Endowed Fund - Ph.D. Dissertation Proposal: Predicting Employee Performance: Moving from Attitudinal Measures to the Bottom-line. Pamplin College of Business, Virginia Tech. October 2009.
- Graduate Research Excellence Award (Warren Lloyd Holtzman Seed Grant Fund). Pamplin College of Business, Virginia Tech. March 2009.
- Best Paper Award (Harrah Research Center Outstanding Research Award). 14th Annual Graduate Education & Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality & Tourism at Las Vegas. January 2009.
- Best Paper Award (Nominated). 14th Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality and Tourism at Las Vegas. January 2009.
- Bob Evans Hospitality Research Award. Restaurant Employee Survey Study. College of Human Ecology, The Ohio State University, April 2004.