Lecturer - Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext 6623
WU Building, Level 3
46 Wakefield Street
Auckland University of Technology
School of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences
Private Bag 92006
Dr.-Ing., Doctor of Engineering, University of Siegen, Germany
Dipl.-Ing, University of Siegen, Germany
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Mechatronics Group, Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Artificial Intelligence Group, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Bremen, Germany
- Institute of Real-Time Learning Systems, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Siegen, Germany
- Digital Signal Processing
Open Student Projects:
- Recognition of microscopic objects using image processing
- Soft robots made of silicone rubber: design and test of components
- Sensing of soft robots using infrared sensors
- Development of pneumatic actuators for a soft robot
- Image processing and control of an xy-plotter to print images of icing on a cake
- Control of a robotic table with a soft surface
- Research of interesting shapes of soft robots
- Mobile app for image processing or robotics
- Any other idea we might find interesting
Machine Vision, Artificial Intelligence, Soft Robotics
- M. Stommel, Z. Deng, and W. L. Xu, “Probabilistic Automata Model of a Soft Robot for the Planning of Manipulation Tasks,” IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, 2017.
- M. Stommel and W. L. Xu, “Optimal, Efficient Sequential Control of a Soft-Bodied, Peristaltic Sorting Table,” IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 858–867, 2016.
- Z. Deng, M. Stommel, and W. L. Xu, “A Novel Soft Machine Table for Manipulation of Delicate Objects Inspired by Caterpillar Locomotion,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 1702–1710, 2016.
- M. Stommel and W. L. Xu, “Learnability of the Moving Surface Profiles of a Soft Robotic Sorting Table,” IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 1581–1587, 2016.
- M. Stommel, O. Beetz, and W. L. Xu, “Model-Free Detection, Encoding, Retrieval and Visualisation of Human Poses from Kinect Data,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 865–875, 2015.
- M. Stommel, O. Herzog, and W. L. Xu, “A Quantitative Evaluation of the Conceptual Consistency of Visual Words and Visual Vocabularies,” Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, vol. 28, pp. 120–129, 2015.
- M. Stommel, O. Beetz, and W. L. Xu, “Inpainting of Missing Values in the Kinect Sensors Depth Maps Based on Background Estimates,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1107–1116, 2014.
- M. Stommel, K.-D. Kuhnert, and W. L. Xu, “Inexact Matching of Structural Models Based on the Duality of Patterns and Classifiers,” Journal of Pattern Analysis and Applications, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 55–67, 2016.
- M. Stommel, W. L. Xu, P. P. K. Lim, and B. Kadmiry, “Robotic Sorting of Ovine Offal - Discussion of a Soft Peristaltic Approach,” Journal of Soft Robotics, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 246–254, 2014.
- M. Stommel, O. Herzog, and W. L. Xu, “Hyperplane Arrangements for the Fast Matching and Classification of Visual Landmarks,” Journal of Pattern Analysis and Applications, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 621–629, 2016.
- H. Messerschmidt and M. Stommel, “Church-Rosser Picture Languages and Their Applications in Picture Recognition,” Journal of Automata, Languages and Combinatorics (JALC), vol. 16, no. 2–4, pp. 165–194, 2011.
- M. Stommel, “Binarising SIFT-Descriptors to Reduce the Curse of Dimensionality in Histogram-Based Object Recognition,” International Journal of Signal Processing, Image Processing and Pattern Recognition (IJSIP), vol. 3, pp. 25–36, March 2010.
More publications can be found on ResearchGate.