Phone: +64 9 9219999 Extn 5263
AUT Tower, Level 1,
2 – 14 Wakefield Street,
Auckland 1010, New Zealand.
Auckland University of Technology
Private Bag 92006,
Auckland 1142, New Zealand.
Links to relevant web pages:
Network and Security Research Group (NSRG)
EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking
2004 Islamic University of Technology, Bangladesh, Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
2009 University of Trento, Italy, Master of Science in Telecommunication Engineering
2016 Auckland University of Technology, Computer and Mathematical Sciences
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- IEEE Communication Society (ComSoc)
- Networking and Security Research Group (NSRG) in AUT
Editor/Guest Editor/Associate Editor
- Lead Guest Editor, EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Computers and Applications, Taylor and Francis group
Md Akbar Hossain is currently working as a Lecturer in the Department of Information Technology and Software Engineering, School of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences at the Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand. He received his Ph.D. from School of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences at Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand. Previously, he holds M.Sc. in Telecommunication Engineering from University of Trento, Italy. After completing Masters, he was awarded prestigious Marie Curie Early Stage Research fellowship to work as a researcher in European Union (EU) funded projects in Germany and Greece. He is the Lead Guest Editor for EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking Special Issue on “Cognitive UAVs in Critical Missions: IoT-based Applications, Protocols and Deployments”. He is also an Associate editor for International Journal of Computers and Applications published by Taylor and Francis group and an active reviewer for many reputed journals; JNCA, Elsevier Ad-Hoc Networks and IEEE Transaction on Communication in recent years. His area of research is wireless networks, Internet of Things, Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, Post-Disaster Network management, Cognitive Radio Networks and IT Project Management.
- Computing Technology and Society
- Computer Networks
- IT Service Provision
- IT Service Management
- IT Project Management
- Wireless Communication
- Advanced Network Technologies
- 5G/6G Communication and Networking
- Post-Disaster Wireless Networks
- Wireless MAC and Routing Optimisation
- Cognitive Radio Networks
- Crowdsource based Medical Emergency Support
- IT Project management
Current Research Projects:
- Post Disaster Management: An integrated Internet of Things and Smartphone system for post-disaster network management to track the trapped victims and find their locations
- Neighborhood Assisted Medical Emergency (NAMES): An emergency response framework to reduce the emergency response time as well minimise the emergency medical operational cost. Integration of digital citizens within the emergency response framework is the most novel framework Studies in this field.
- SmartLIFE: Sustainable and Reliable Management of LIFE: To take forward the state-of-the-art in cognitive internet of things CIoT sensor communications and digital signal processing for the successful application of wireless sensors in the smart proactive management of LIFE.
Selected Journal Papers:
- Hossain, M. A., & Sarkar, N. I. (2019). CCH: a clique based asymmetric rendezvous scheme for cognitive radio ad-hoc networks. Wireless Networks, 1-10.
- Hossain, M. A., & Sarkar, N. I. (2018). A distributed multichannel MAC protocol for rendezvous establishment in cognitive radio ad hoc networks. Ad Hoc Networks, 70, 44-60.
- Hossain, M. A., Sarkar, N. I., Gutierrez, J., & Liu, W. (2017). Performance study of block ACK and reverse direction in IEEE 802.11 n using a Markov chain model. Journal of Network and Computer Applications, 78, 170-179.
- Sarkar, N. I., Qi, R., & Hossain, A. (2015). Performance Studies of FTP, Voice and Video over ATM-Wireless Backbone Network. International Journal of Advanced Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing (IJAPUC), 7(3), 38-54.
- Khan, M.R.H., Hossain, A. (2006). BER and SINR Performance of MCCDMA System in Frequency-Selective Rayleigh Fading Channel,” in Journal of Electrical Engineering, Institute of Engineers, 33 (I&II).
- Khan, M.R.H., Hossain, A., Islam, A. R. & Song, J. B. (2005). Comparative analysis of CDMA based wireless communication under radio propagation environment. Computer Science and Engineering Research Journal, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, 3(1), 6-11.
- Khan, M.R.H., Hossain, G., Hossain, A. (2006). Designing Segmented Display for Persian (Western Farsi) Numerals. Asian Journal of Information Technology (AJIT), 5(4), 376-379.
Selected Conference Papers:
- Nayak, S., Hossain, M.A., Mirza, F., Naeem, A., and Jamil, N. (2018). E-BRACE: A Secure Electronic Health Record Access method in Medical Emergency,” in International Conference on Intelligent Technologies and Applications, Bahawalpur, Pakistan.
- Hossain M.A., Kumar, S. (2018). A Technology Assisted Framework For Medical Emergencies Involving Formal and Informal Caregivers,” in International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing and Communication, Melbourne, Australia.
- Hossain, M. A., & Sarkar, N. I. (2018, April). A Clique Based Asymmetric Rendezvous Scheme for Cognitive Radio Ad-Hoc Networks. In International Conference on Smart Grid and Innovative Frontiers in Telecommunications (pp. 268-277). Springer, Cham.
- Hossain M.A., Kumar, S. (2018). A Smartphone and IoT-Assisted Post-Disaster Communication and Recovery Method,” in International Conference on Smart Grid and Innovative Frontiers in Telecommunications (pp. 11-20), Springer, Cham.
- Rahman, S., Hossain, M.A., Lai, E. “Energy-Efficiency Maximisation in Random Cognitive Radio Networks,” in International Conference on Smart Grid and Innovative Frontiers in Telecommunications (pp.73- 81), Springer, Cham.
- Hossain, A., Mirza, F., Naeem, M. A., & Gutierrez, J. (2017, November). A crowd sourced framework for neighbour assisted medical emergency system. In International Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference (ITNAC), (pp. 1-6). IEEE.
- Hossain, A., Ray, S. K., & Sinha, R. (2016). A smartphone-assisted post-disaster victim localization method. In International Conference on High Performance Computing and Communications; Smart City; Data Science and Systems (HPCC/SmartCity/DSS), (pp. 1173-1179). IEEE.
- Hossain, A., & Sarkar, N. I. (2015). Cross layer rendezvous in cognitive radio ad-hoc networks. In Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference (ITNAC), 2015 International (pp. 149-154). IEEE.
- Hossain, M. A., & Sarkar, N. I. (2015). Rendezvous in cognitive radio ad-hoc networks with channel ranking. In Proceedings of the 18th ACM International Conference on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems (pp. 55-63). ACM.
- Hossain, A., & Sarkar, N. I. (2015). Rendezvous in cognitive radio ad-hoc networks with asymmetric channel view. In International Symposium on A World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks, (pp. 1-6). IEEE.
- Hossain, M. A., & Sarkar, N. I. (2012). Spectrum Management in Cognitive Radio Networks: Modeling and Performance Evaluation. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Wireless Networks (ICWN) (p. 1).
- Hossain, M. A., & Passerone, R. (2011). Power adaptive cognitive pilot channel for spectrum co-existence in wireless networks. In International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA), (pp. 9-16). IEEE.
- Hossain, M. A., & Haque, S. A. (2010). PAIZM-CPC: Enhancement of spectrum co-existence in wireless networks. In International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (ICCIT), (pp. 567-572). IEEE.
- Filo, M., Hossain, A., Biswas, A. R., & Piesiewicz, R. (2009). Cognitive pilot channel: Enabler for radio systems coexistence. In International Workshop on Cognitive Radio and Advanced Spectrum Management, (pp. 17-23). IEEE.
- Hoque, K. M. R., Haque, R. R., Hossain, M. A., Farazi, M. F., & Hossain, G. (2007). Modeling and performance of TCP in a MC-CDMA system for 4G communications. In international conference on Computer and information technology, (pp. 1-5). IEEE.
- Khan, R. H., Hossain, A., Islam, R., & Song, J. B. (2007, March). SINR Performance of Multicarrier CDMA system in Frequency Selective Rayleigh Fading Channels. In International Conference on Information and Communication Technology, (pp. 201-204) Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Selected Book Chapter:
- Hossain, M. A., & Sarkar, N. I. (2013). Spectrum Handoff Management in Cognitive Radio Networks: Solutions, Modeling, and Future Directions. In Cognitive Radio Technology Applications for Wireless and Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (pp. 103-123). IGI Global.
- Mar 2016 Dean’s Outstanding Doctoral Award
- Sept 2015 ITNAC conference travel grant (AUD 600)
- Sept 2011-2014 AUT SCMS PhD scholarship (NZD 25000/year)
- Jan 2010 European Commission Marie Currie Fellowship