Phone: +64 9 921 9999 x 8337
WZ Building, Level 4
34 St Paul Street
School of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences
Private Bag 92006
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons)
- New Zealand Certificate in Engineering
- Radio Technicians Certificate
- Microcontroller Systems
- Embedded Systems
- Digital Design with Field Programmable Gate Arrays
Mark is currently researching the areas of evolutionary computation and evolvable hardware in robotic controllers. Evolutionary computation is a method of programming where a problem progressively evolves to a solution using a natural selection process similar to “Darwinism” or biological evolution. The program starts with a population of possible solutions to a problem; these solutions are tested and the best solutions are kept becoming parents that are used to produce new solutions. This process is repeated until a high fitness is reached.
Mark is applying this technique in the fields of robotic applications and evolvable hardware.
- Embedded Systems
- TV Broadcasting
- Mark Beckerleg, John Collins, 2007. An Analysis of the Chromosome Genderated by a Genetic Algorithm Used to Create a Controller for a Mobile Inverted Pendulum. Studies in Computational Intelligence Springer-Verlag.
- Jonathan Currie, Mark Beckerleg, John Collins, 2008, Software Evolution of a Hexapod Robot Walking Gait. 15th International Conference on Mechatronics and Machine Vision in Practice, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Mark Beckerleg, John Collins, 2008, Evolving Electronic Circuits for Robotic Control. 15th International Conference on Mechatronics and Machine Vision in Practice, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Mark Beckerleg, John Collins, 2007, Producing Research from Undergraduate Projects Proceedings of the 2007 AaeE Conference, Eighteenth Annual Conference of the Australasian Association for Engineering Education Melbourne.
- Mark Beckerleg, John Collins, 2006. A GA Based Controller for a Mobile Inverted Pendulum. IEEE International Conference on Autonomous Robosts and Agents.
- Mark Beckerleg, John Collins, 2005. Using Standardised Hardware Modules to Implement Complex Design Projects for Teaching Embedded Systems. Global Conference on Engineering Education.
- John Collins, Mark Beckerleg, 2005. A Structure Diagram Design Tool for Teaching Embedded Systems Software Design. Global Conference on Engineering Education.