Office: WT 118, 2-14 Wakefield St
School of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
Private Bag 92006
Address for blogs:
Links to relevant web pages:
- PhD in Computer Science, University of Liverpool, 2009
- MSc in Logic, University of Amsterdam, 2004
- BA in Logic, Beijing University, 2002
Logic, formal verification, knowledge representation and reasoning in AI, and multi-agent systems.
Refereed Journal Articles
- H. van Ditmarsch, W. van der Hoek and J. Ruan. Connecting Temporal Epistemic and Dynamic Epistemic Logics. The Logic Journal of the IGPL, Volume 21, Issue 3, Pages: 380-403, June 2013.
- J. Ruan and M. Thielscher. Logical-Epistemic Foundations of General Game Descriptions. (Accepted by a Special Issue of Studia Logica on Logic and Games in July 2012).
- J. van Eijck, J. Ruan and T. Sadzik. Action Emulation. Journal of Synthese, Volume 185, Issue 1, Pages:131-151, May 2012.
- J. Ruan. Reasoning about Time, Action and Knowledge in Multi-Agent Systems. Journal of KI - Kunstliche Intelligenz. Volume 25, Number 1, Pages 75-76. March 2011.
- J. Ruan, W. van der Hoek and M. Wooldridge. Verification of Games in the Game Description Language. Journal of Logic and Computation, Volume 19 , Issue 6, Pages: 1127-1156, December 2009.
- H. van Ditmarsch, J. Ruan and R. Verbrugge. Sum and Product in Dynamic Epistemic Logic. Journal of Logic and Computation, Volume 18, Number 4, Pages: 563-588, August 2008.
Refereed Conference/Workshop Papers
- J. Ruan and M. Thielscher. Strategic and Epistemic Reasoning for the Game Description Language GDL-II. Proceedings of the 20th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI’12), Pages: 696-701, Montpellier, France, August 2012.
- J. Ruan and M. Thielscher. Model Checking Games in GDL-II. Proceedings of the Computer Game Workshop at ECAI’12, Pages: 71-83, Montpellier, France, August 2012.
- J. Ruan and M. Thielscher. A Logic for Knowledge Flow in Social Networks. Proceedings of the 24th Australasian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Perth, Australia, December 2011.
- J. Ruan and M. Thielscher. The Epistemic Logic Behind the Game Description Language. Proceedings of the 25th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Pages: 840-845, San Francisco, USA, August 2011.
- J. Ruan and M. Thielscher. On the Comparative Expressiveness of Epistemic Logic and GDL-II. Proceedings of the 2nd International General Game Playing Workshop - GIGA 2011, Pages: 53-60, Barcelona, Spain, July 2011.
- J. Ruan, W. MacCaull and H. Jewers. Agent-based Careflow and Monitoring for Patient-centered Palliative Care. Proceedings of VI Workshop on Agents Applied in Healthcare - A2HC 2010 (Co-located with eHealth International Conference 2010), Casablanca, 2010.
- J. Ruan and W. MacCaull. Data-Aware Monitoring For Healthcare Workflows Using Formal Methods. Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Knowledge Representation for
Health Care, Pages: 51-60, Lisbon, Portugal, 2010.
- J. Ruan, W. MacCaull and H. Jewers. Enhancing Patient-centered Palliative Care With Collaborative Agents. Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence and International Conference on Intelligent Agent Technology (WI-IAT) -
Workshops, Pages: 356-360, Toronto, Canada, 2010.
- H. van Ditmarsch, J. Ruan and W. van der Hoek. Model Checking Dynamic Epistemics in Branching Time. Proceedings of Workshop on Formal Approaches to Multi-Agent Systems (FAMAS’007), Durham, UK, September, 2007.
- W. van der Hoek, J. Ruan and M. Wooldridge. Strategy Logics and the Game Description Language. Proceedings of Workshop on Logic, Rationality and Interaction (LORI), Beijing, Texts in Computer Science, College Publications Vol. 8, Pages: 259-274, August 2007.
- H. van Ditmarsch and J. Ruan. Model Checking Logic Puzzles. Proceedings of Quatriemes Journees Francophones MODELES FORMELS de l’INTERACTION (MFI07), Pages: 139-150, Annales du Lamsade, Universit Paris Dauphine, May 2007.
- H. van Ditmarsch, W. van der Hoek, R. van der Meyden and J. Ruan. Model Checking Russian Cards. Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science, Volume 149 , Issue 2, Pages: 105-123, February 2006. (Presented in the Workshop of Model Checking and Artificial
- H. van Ditmarsch, J. Ruan and L.C. Verbrugge. Model Checking Sum and Product. Proceedings of the 18th Australian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Pages: 790-795. Springer Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, December 2005.
- 2005-2009 Ph.D. Fellowship, University of Liverpool, United Kingdom.
- 2005-2008 Postgraduate Scholarship, the Graduates Association of Liverpool (Hong Kong).
- 2005 Research Fellowship from the project AOARD-05-4017, New Zealand.
- 2003-2004 Evert Willem Beth Scholarship, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- 1999 Wusi Scholarship, Beijing University, China.