Phone: +64 9 921 9999 Ext 5365
Colab, WG1001,City Campus,
55 Wellesley Street East,
Bachelor of Engineering-Mechanical Engineering,
Master of Science-Mechanical Engineering
Doctor of Engineering-Mechanical Engineering
Memberships and Affiliations:
Member-Institute of Professional Engineers NZ
Member- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Member- Engineers Australia
Currently, I am a Senior Lecturer/Research Fellow at COLAB, Faculty of Design and Creative Technologies. For last 10 years, I was working as a Research Fellow at Deakin University, Melbourne; worked as a Research Assistant/Lecturer at AUT University; and free lancing/contract Design Engineer/CAD Drafter for reputed bulk packaging equipment and chemical storage tanks manufacturers in Auckland, New Zealand. Published considerable number of journals, technical articles and conference paper on Manufacturing Science and Engineering. Post-graduation specialization includes Product Design and Development. I have considerable European work experience in managing and working in dynamic production environments. Experienced in 3D CAD modelling using various software: Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor and Pro-Engineer (now CREO). Considerable work experience using FEM software: ANSYS. Attended Workshops/ Training program on DELCAM, ANSYS; learning, teaching technical education and research methodology.
Product Design and Development.
Engineering Design and communications
Creative Technologies, Advance Manufacturing Technologies and Material Science
I have been actively involved in research on machinability of newly emerging, design centric materials for aerospace, bio-medical and automotive industry. I am a lead researcher of the machining and machinability group, advance manufacturing and related high-end creative technologies groups. Research on additive manufacturing for creative technologies, aerospace and bio-medical industry has been a primary point of focus. I am a reviewer for reputed journals; keynote speaker, technical and organizing committee member, session chair and article reviewer internationally. I have a h-index-4 and research gate score 14 based on citations.
Research collaboration and Industry Engagement
- VIT University, September, 2012
- IIT Madras, March 2013 and August 2014
- Bharat Forge, August 2014
- Cyient, August 2014 and December 2015
- IIT Hyderabad, August 2014, December 2015 and July 2016
- CMTI Bangalore, Mahindra Aerospace, Tata Advance materials and ARCI Hyderabad, July 2016
- ANCA, RUAG, Keech and Marand, 2016
- Speaker, Deakin-Bendigo Industry meet, March 2015
- Study Tour; Tour leader, Deakin India study tour to IIT Hyderabad, December 2015
- Project Supervisor, Deakin-VIT University Internship program, 2013-2014
Current Research Projects:
Advance manufacturing technologies
Collaborative design tools and methods
- International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. DOI: 10.1007/s00170-016-9766-y. Experimental and finite element analysis of machinability of AL-6XN super austenitic stainless steel. Mohanad Abdul Fakhri, Ashwin Polishetty, Guy Littlefair.
- Materials Science Forum 911:3-7. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.911.3. Analysis of Heat Generated in the Shear Zone during Machining of Titanium Alloy Ti6Al4V Using Infrared Thermal Camera. Ashwin Polishetty, Mohanad Abdul Fakhri and Guy Littlefair.
- Australian Journal of Mechanical Engineering. Chip formation characteristics of selective laser melted Ti–6Al–4V. Manikanda Shunmugavel, Ashwin Polishetty, Moshe Goldberg and Guy Littlefair.
- Rapid Prototyping Journal. A Preliminary study of comparison of mechanical properties and machinability of wrought and additive manufactured Ti-6Al-4V. Manikanda Shunmugavel, Ashwin Polishetty, Guy Littlefair, Moshe Goldberg.
- Journal of Metallurgy. Metallurgical and Machinability Characteristics of Wrought and Selective Laser Melted Ti-6Al-4V. Manikanda Shunmugavel, Ashwin Polishetty, Junior Nomani, Moshe Goldberg, Guy Littlefair.
- Journal of Metallurgy. Microstructural and Surface Texture Analysis due to Machining in Super Austenitic Stainless Steel. Mohanad Abdul Fakhri, Ashwin Polishetty, Guy Littlefair.
- International Journal of Materials Forming and Manufacturing Process. Tool Wear and Surface Integrity Analysis of Machined Heat Treated Selective Laser Melted Ti-6Al-4V. Manikanda Shunmugavel, Ashwin Polishetty, Moshe Goldberg, Guy Littlefair.
- 11th International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics (ICINCO-2014). Robotic Grasping and Manipulation Controller Framework - Architecture Redevelopment. Paul Dzitac, Abdul Md Mazid, Ashwin Polishetty, Guy Littlefair.
- 11th International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics (ICINCO-2014). The Effective Radius and Resistance to Slippage. Paul Dzitac, Abdul Md Mazid, Ashwin Polishetty, Guy Littlefair.
- Journal of Machine Engineering. Slot machining of Ti6Al4V with Trichoidal Milling Technique. Prasad Patil, Ashwin Polishetty, Moshe Goldberg, Guy Littlefair.
- 13th International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics (ICINCO-2016). Object Slippage Prevention using Different Control Strategies. Paul Dzitac, Abdul Md Mazid, Ashwin Polishetty, Guy Littlefair.
- International Journal of Quality Assurance in Engineering and Technology Education. Evaluating Student Perceptions in Peer to Peer Learning and Assessment Practices in Design Based Learning Environment. Ashwin Polishetty, Guy Littlefair, Arun Patil.
- Advanced Materials Research Vol. 748 (2013) pp 247-251, © (2013) Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland, doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.748. A Case Study on Effect of Feed Rate on Machinability of Austempered Ductile Iron. Ashwin Polishetty and Guy Littlefair, Timotius Pasang.
- ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition IMECE2013, November 15-20, 2013, San Diego, California, USA. A preliminary Study on Machinability assessment of Nanobainite Steel. Ashwin Polishetty, Guy Littlefair, Thomas Musselwhite and Chinmay Sonavane.
- Materials Performance and Characterization Journal, ASTM, 2014. A comparative assessment of the hardness of Nano-Structured Bainitic Steel affected by using variable Quenchants. Ashwin Polishetty, Chinmay Sonavane and Guy Littlefair.
- Advanced Materials Research. Machinability Assessment of Titanium Alloy Ti-6Al-4V for Biomedical Applications. Ashwin Polishetty, Guy Littlefair and K. Praveen Kumar.
- Journal of Material Science and Chemical Engineering. Comparative assessment on machinability of Nanobainite steel and Titanium64 alloys. Ashwin Polishetty, Chinmay Sonavane, Prasad Patil and Guy Littlefair.
- Procedia Technology. A Preliminary assessment of machinability of titanium alloy Ti6Al4V during thin wall machining using trochoidal milling. Ashwin Polishetty, Moshe Goldberg, Guy Littlefair, Mahesh Puttaraju, Prasad Patil, AkshayKalra.
- Procedia Technology. Microstructure and mechanical properties of wrought and Additive Manufactured Ti-6Al-4V cylindrical bars. Manikanda Shunmugavel, Ashwin Polishetty and Guy Littlefair.
- The International Journal of Materials Forming and Machining Processes (IJMFMP). Current Trends in Machinability Research. Ashwin Polishetty, Guy Littlefair. Moshe Goldberg, Junior Nomani.
- 2015 3rd International Conference on Manufacturing Engineering and Technology for Manufacturing Growth (METMG 2015), August 1-2, 2015, Vancouver, Canada. Machinability assessment of multi component high entropy alloys. Ashwin Polishetty, Murali Manohar Rao Barla, Guy Littlefair, Daniel Fabijanic.
- ASME 2015 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, November 13-19, 2015, Houston, Texas. A preliminary study on Machinability of Super Austenitic Stainless Steel. Ashwin Polishetty, MOHANAD FAKHRI ABDULQADER ALABDULLAH, Nihal Pillay, Guy Littlefair.
- ASME conference - International Manufacturing Science and Engineering conference, October 2008, Northwestern University, Illinois, U.S.A. Title: A comparative assessment of Austempered Ductile Iron (ADI) as a substitute in weight reduction applications. Ashwin Polishetty, Guy Littlefair and Sarat Singamneni.
- Industrial Tooling 2008, Mississippi State University, Mississippi, U.S.A. Machining characteristics of Austempered Ductile Iron (ADI). Ashwin Polishetty, Guy Littlefair and Sarat Singamneni.
- Published technical article “Why machine Austempered Ductile Iron (ADI)?” in New Zealand, Engineering News 2009, New Zealand. Ashwin Polishetty and Guy Littlefair.
- Advanced Materials Research Vols. 97-101 (2010) pp 2036-2039,© (2010) Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland, doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.97-101.2036. Assessment of machining characteristics of Austempered Ductile Iron. Ashwin Polishetty and Guy Littlefair.
- International Journal of Mechanical & Mechatronics Engineering ISSN: 2077- 124X, Manuscript Code:106101-8787. Wear Characteristics of Ultra-Hard Cutting Tools when Machining Austempered Ductile Iron. Ashwin Polishetty, Moshe Goldberg, Guy Littlefair.
- ASME International Manufacturing Science and Engineering conference 2010, Penn State University, Eire, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. Microstructural Studies on Strain Induced Transformations in Austempered Ductile Iron Using Heat Tinting. Ashwin Polishetty, Guy Littlefair, Timotius Pasang, Bing Pan.
- Vice Chancellor PhD scholarship, 2009, AUT University, New Zealand
- School of Engineering Research grant 2013
- Faculty minor Equipment grant 2014
- Faculty minor Equipment Grant 2015
- Fully funded PhD positions – India and Iraq government respectively
- School of Engineering publication boost for achievement in number of quality publications