Professor of Research
Phone: 09 921 9999 ext 5298
90 Akoranga Drive
School of Clinical Sciences
Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences
AUT University, Private Bag 92006
Links to relevant web pages:
Find an expert
National University of Singapore
CHUK - Centre of Research and Promotion of Women's Health
PhD Medical Anthropology, Hong Kong University
Master Nursing Curtin, Australia
Postgraduate Diploma in Midwifery Curtin, Australia
Bachelor Applied Science Nursing Curtin, Australia
Diploma of Nursing, NZ ATI
Memberships and Affiliations:
2011-ongoing Visiting Professor
Alice Lee Centre for Nursing Studies
National University of Singapore
2010 Adjunct Professor
Department of Anthropology
Chinese University of Hong Kong
2008-2010 Visiting Professor
Department of Anthropology
London School of Oriental and African Studies
School of Public Health
Chinese University of Hong Kong
2010-2012 Visiting scholar
WHO Collaborating Centre, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery
Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand,
2009-ongoing Honorary Professoriate Fellow
Key Centre for Study of Gender, Women and Society, Faculty of Population Health, The University of Melbourne
2008-ongoing Visiting Scholar
Department of Anthropology
Sun Yat Sein University, Guangzhou, China
Qualitative Health Research
• Womens health.
• Migrant and vulnerable populations
• Sexual and reproductive health
• Ethnography, grounded theory, mixed method
Current Research Projects:
Exploring factors influencing career choice among students pursuing courses at aged care post education institutions in Singapore. Education Department Government Tender. S$257,000.
Internet based mental illness prevention programme for African refugees and asylum seekers in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Health care and promotion.
Fiji( FNU) and African( Uganda) based research Sexual Health projects
ASEAN PHD support prince of Songtha University, Thailand
Holroyd, E. Ethnography unpacked. 2nd Australian Palliative Care Research Colloquim, 7-8th August, Melbourne, Victoria.
Holroyd, E. Place for compassion and emotionalism in Ethnographic research with vulnerable populations. 3rd Asia-Pacific International Conference on Qualitative Research in Nursing, Midwifery and Health, 14-20th October, Newcastle, Australia.
Holroyd, E. Writing for publication International Academy of Nurse Editors Dialogue and Directions for Nurse Scholarship and Publication, 11-13th August, Queensland, Australia,
Holroyd, E. Gender and health: Healthy people for a Healthy World. East Asian Forum. WHO Centre, Mahidol University, 24–28th June Bangkok, Thailand.
Past Five Years Only
- Kampblijambi, J. K., Montayre, J., Saravanakumar, P., & Holroyd, E. (2018). Losing blood and saving lives: Recognising the problems and impacts. Midwifery, 67, 18-25, DOI: 10.1016/ j.midw.2018.08.012.
- Seow, L. L., Jiao, N., Wang, W., Holroyd, E., Teng, G. G., & He, H. G. (2018). A Qualitative Study Exploring Perceptions of Patients With Gout. Clinical nursing research, DOI: 10.1177/1054773818769219.
- Tan, C. C. L., Cheng, K. K. F., Hwang, S. W., Zhang, N., Holroyd, E., & Wang, W. (2018). Effect of a Diabetes Self-Efficacy Enhancing Program on Older Adults With Type 2 Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Clinical nursing research, DOI: 10.1177/1054773818792480.
- Cheng, R. T. S., Klainin-Yobas, P., Holyroyd, E., & Lopez, V. (2018). A “journey to regain life” after joint replacement surgery: A qualitative descriptive study. Applied Nursing Research, 41, 5-10. DOI: 10.1016/j.apnr.2018.03.002
- Montayre, J., Neville, S., Wright‐St Clair, V., Holroyd, E., & Adams, J. (2018). Late‐life living and care arrangements of older Filipino New Zealanders. Journal of clinical nursing. https:// doi.org/10.1111/jocn.14625
- Msoka, A. C., & Holroyd, E. (2018). Childrens perspectives of their psychosocial well-being in Tanzanian orphanages. International Journal of Nursing and Midwifery, 10(5), 41-46. DOI: 10.5897/IJNM2017.0292
- Wu, L. T., Wang, W., Holroyd, E., Lopez, V., & Liaw, S. Y. (2018). Factors deterring dentistry, medical, pharmacy, and social science undergraduates from pursuing nursing as a healthcare career: a cross-sectional study in an Asian university. BMC medical education, 18(1), 23. DOI: 10.1186/s12909-018-1118-1
- Kanengoni, B., Andajani-Sutjahjo, S., & Holroyd, E. (2018). Setting the stage: reviewing current knowledge on the health of New Zealand immigrants—an integrative review. PeerJ, 6, e5184. DOI: doi: 10.7717/peerj.5184
- Winnington, R., Holroyd, E., & Zambas, S. (2018). The Socio-Political Debate of Dying Today in the United Kingdom and New Zealand:‘Letting Go’of the Biomedical Model of Care in Order to Develop a Contemporary Ars Moriendi. Societies, 8(3), 65. DOI: 10.3390/soc8030065
- Liaw S.Y., Wu, L.T., Lopez, V., Chow, Y.L., Lim, S., Holroyd, E., Tan, K.K., & Wang, W. (2017). Development and psychometric testing of an instrument to compare career choice influences and perceptions of nursing among healthcare students, BMC Medical Education, 17(1), 72.
- David, A., Holroyd, E., Jackson, M., & Cleary, S. (2017). 'Being in the know': Nurses' perspectives on the role of 'end-of-shift' verbal handover. International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare. doi: 10.1097/XEB.0000000000000102.
- Li, H., Wei, C., Tucker, J., Kang, D., Liao, M., Holroyd, E., Zheng, J., Qi, Q., & Ma, W. (2017). Barriers and facilitators of linkage to HIV care among HIV-infected young Chinese men who have sex with men: A qualitative study. BMC Health Services Research, 17(1), 214.
- Kamblijambi, J.K., & Holroyd, E. (2017). Papua New Guinea midwives perspectives of the effect of a targeted village birth attendant education program. Midwifery Journal. Reference YMIDW2029. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.midw.2017.04.007.
- Yang, Y.Y., He, H.G., Lee, S.Y., Holroyd, E., Shorey, S., & Koh, S.S.L. (2017). Perceptions of parents with preterm infants hospitalized in Singaporean neonatal intensive care unit. The Journal of Perinatal & Neonatal Nursing. doi: 10.1097/JPN.0000000000000239.
- Wong, W.C.W., Cheung, S., Miu, H.Y.H., Chen, J., Loper, K.A., & Holroyd, E. (2017). Mental health of African asylum-seekers and refugees in Hong Kong: using the social determinants of health framework. BMC Public Health, 17(1), 153.
- Assaf, G.N., Holroyd, E., & Lopez, V. (2017). Isolation and prayer as means of solace for Arab women with breast cancer: An in‐depth interview study. Psycho‐Oncology, 1-6, DOI: 10.1002/pon.4402.
- Li, H., Tucker, J., Holroyd, E., Zhang, J., & Jiang, B. (2017). Suicidal ideation, resilience, and healthcare implications for newly diagnosed HIV-positive men who have sex with men in china: A qualitative study, Archives of Sexual Behavior, 1-10.
- Liaw, S.Y., Wu, L.T., Holroyd, E., Wang, W., Lopez, V., Lim, S. & Chow, Y.L. (2016). Why not nursing? Factors influencing healthcare career choice among Singaporean students. International Nursing Review 63 (4), 530-538.
- Wong, C.W.W., Cheng, S., Holroyd, E. & Miu, H. (2016). A Lost Tribe in the City. International Journal for Health Equity, 15(1), 158.
- Yuen, W.W.Y., Tran, L., Wong, C.K.H., Holroyd, E., Tang, C.S.K., & Wong, W.C.W. (2016). Psychological health and HIV transmission among female sex workers: A systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS Care, 28(7), 816-824.
- Yuen, W., Wong, W., Tang, C., Holroyd, E., Tiwari, A., & Fong, D. (2016). Resilience intervention for women in sex work: The mediating role of self-esteem in reducing psychological distress, International Journal of Psychology, 51, 282-283.
- Li, H.H., Lau, J.T., Holroyd, E., & Li, X. (2016). Mental health problems and associated socio-ecological factors among HIV-positive young migrant men who have sex with men in China. In Children and Young People Living with HIV/AIDS, 223-239. Springer International Publishing.
- Li, H., Li, X., Tso, L. S., Qiao, S., Holroyd, E., Zhou, Y., & Shen, Z. (2016). HIV-negative children’s experiences and opinions towards parental HIV disclosure: A qualitative study in China. Vulnerable Children & Youth Studies, 11(2), 173-179.
- Turner, P.W., & Holroyd, E. (In press 2016). Holism in Osteopathy–bridging the gap between concept and practice: A grounded theory study. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine, 22, 40-51.
- Khong, P.C.B., Hoi, S.Y., Holroyd, E., & Wang, W. (2015). Nurses’ clinical decision making on adopting a wound clinical decision support system. Computers Informatics Nursing, 33(7), 295-305.
- Li, H. Holroyd, E. Lau, J. and Li, X. 2015, 'Stigma, subsistence, intimacy, face, filial piety, and mental health problems among newly HIV-diagnosed men who have sex with men in China', in Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, Elsevier, United States, pp. 1-28 ISSN: 1055-3290
- Li, H. Holroyd, E. and Lau, J. 2015, Exploring Unprotected anal intercourse among newly diagnosed HIV positive men who have sex with men in China: an ethnographic study', in PL o S One, Public Library of Science, United States, pp. 1-11 ISSN: 1932-6203
- Li, H. Lau, J. and Holroyd, E. 2015, 'Unmet health service needs of newly diagnosed HIV-positive men who have sex with men in China: results from an ethnography', in Journal of AIDS Clinical Research and STDs, Herald Scholarly Open Access (HSOA), Herndon, Virginia, United States, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1-6 ISSN: 2155-6113
- Li, H., Holroyd, E., Li, X., & Lau, J. (2014). A qualitative analysis of barriers to accessing HIV/AIDS-related services among newly diagnosed HIV-positive men who have sex with men in China. International Journal of STD and AIDS, 26(1), 13-19.
- Stewart, O., Yamarat, K., Neeser, K., Lertmaharit, S., & Holroyd, E. (2014). Buddhist religious practices and blood pressure among elderly in rural Uttaradit Province, northern Thailand. Nursing and Health Sciences, 16(1), 119-125.
- Yuen, W., Wong, W., Holroyd, E., & Tang, C. (2014). Resilience in work-related stress among female sex workers in Hong Kong. Qualitative Health Research, 24(9), 1232-1241.
- Wong, W., Ho, P., Liang, J., Holroyd, E.A., Lam, C., & Pau, A. (2014). Road to better health and integration: a Delphi study on health service models for Hong Kong migrants. Journal for Equity in Health, 13(1), 112-127.
- Fong, T., Holroyd, E., & Wong, W. (2013). Dangerous women of Hong Kong? Media construction of stigma in female sex workers. Journal of Behavioral Health, 2(1), 59-65.
- Ong, J., Wong, W., Lee, A., Holroyd, E., & Huang, S. (2013). Sexual activity and adolescent health risk behaviors amongst high school students in three ethnic Chinese urban populations. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 22 (23-24), 3270-3279.
- Yu, C., Holroyd, E., Cheng, Y., & Lau, J. (2013). Institutional incentives for altruism: gifting blood in China. BMC Public Health, 13(1), 1-8.
- Yuen, W., Wong, W., Tang, C., Holroyd, E., Tiwari, A., Fong, D., & Chin, W. (2013). Evaluating the effectiveness of personal resilience and enrichment programme (PREP) for HIV prevention among female sex workers: a randomised controlled trial. BMC Public Health, 13(1), 1-9.
- Kerrison, J., Jones, L., & Holroyd, E. (2013). The art and science of caring for pregnant teenagers in southern Tasmania. Women and Birth, 26, Supplement 1.
- Chen, S., Holroyd, E., & Jones, L. (2012). To have or not have a child in contemporary Taiwan? Motherhood decision making. The Australian Nursing Journal, 19(11), 41-41.
- Lau, J., Gu, J., Tsui, H., Chen, H., Holroyd, E., Wang, R., & HU, X. (2012). Prevalence and associated factors of condom use during commercial sex by female sex workers who were or were not injecting drug users in China. Sexual Health, 9(4), 368-376.
- Ngai, F., Wai-Chi Chan, S., & Holroyd, E. (2012). Maternal coping during early motherhood among first-time Chinese mothers. Journal of Health Psychology, 17(2), 189-196.
- Suen, L., Lau, Y., Ma, H., Lai, K., & Holroyd, E. (2012). Predictive value of auricular diagnosis on coronary heart disease. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 1-9.
- Thwala, S., Jones, L., & Holroyd, E. (2012). An ethnographic account of the beliefs, values and experiences of rural Swazi women during childbirth. Evidence Based Midwifery, 10(3), 101-106.
2013 - Vice Chancellors Teaching Award In Indigenous Education 28th November, 2013, RMIT l