The Government has issued a COVID-19 vaccination mandate for workers in education services and the health and disability sector, which will affect students going on placement.
The COVID-19 Public Health Response (Vaccinations) Order 2021 states that affected workers must:
- Have their first COVID-19 vaccination before the close of 15 November 2021
- Have their second COVID-19 vaccination before the close of 1 January 2022
Programmes affected by the vaccination mandate
Affected workers include those students placed at a licensed early childhood service or registered school, health practitioners (providing health services to patients in person), and care and support workers.
- AK1047 Master of Teaching and Learning (ECE & Primary)
- AK1073 Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching and Learning (ECE & Primary)
- AK3594 Bachelor of Education (ECE & Primary)
- AK3515 Graduate Diploma in Secondary Teaching
- AK3704 Bachelor of Arts (some students do WIL in educational establishments)
Health and environmental sciences students
Vaccine required for these programmes:
- AK3680BHSc unendorsed route (includes intermediate semester for all clinical programmes except BMLS)
- AK3680BHSc in Case Management
- AK3680BHSc in Counselling
- AK3680BHSc in Health Management
- AK3680BHSc in Public and Environmental Health
- AK3680BHSc in Paramedicine (and also diploma etc)
- AK3680BHSc in Perioperative Practice
- AK3680BHSc in Psychology
- AK1035BHSc (Midwifery)
- AK3324BHSc (Nursing)
- AK3410BHSc (Occupational Therapy)
- AK3113BHsc (Oral Health)
- AK3313BHSc (Physiotherapy)
- AK3713BHSc (Podiatry)
- AK3432BMLS -Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science
- AK3521BSR - Bachelor of Sport and Recreation
- AK3830MNSc - Master of Nursing Science
- AK3840MPhyPrac - Master of Physiotherapy Practice
Vaccine may be required for any courses in these programmes:
- AK1041BSc - Bachelor of Sport and Recreation
- AK3757Grad Cert HSc - Graduate Certificate in Health Science
- AK1013Grad Dip HSc - Postgraduate Diploma in Health Science
- AK3487PG Dip HSc - Postgraduate Diploma in Health Science
- AK3484PG Cert HSc - Postgraduate Certificate in Health Science
- AK3485MHSc - Master of Health Science
- AK3733Master of Health Practice
Other students who may be affected
Students whose placement takes them into airports or prisons may also be affected by the Order. If you are unsure if the Order applies to you, please contact your programme administrator or Student Hub.
Collecting your COVID-19 vaccination information
If you are an affected student, AUT will need to collect your COVID-19 vaccination status and information which identifies you. The dates on which you received your doses will also be requested.
AUT will only collect health information which is necessary for your placement and use it to coordinate with your service provider. We will not use or share this information in any other way, unless authorised by law, or with your given consent. The Privacy Act 2020 governs how AUT collects, uses, stores, discloses and corrects your personal information.
While it is your choice to provide any health information to us, this will ensure that our students meet the requirements of the Order and Ministry of Health. With limited exceptions for medical reasons, students who have not informed AUT accordingly will be unable to attend their clinical or teaching placements.