ComputersStudents can access computers in the Tech Central areas, located within the library and other general access areas. These computers can be booked online for a maximum of 2 hour at a time. We also have a number of first-come first-serve computers that students can use.
LaptopsWe have a number of Wi-Fi enabled laptops that can be used throughout the City, North Shore and South Campuses, during open hours.
Students can borrow these laptops up to 2 hours from the self-service Laptop Kiosks located within the Tech Central areas on each campus. These laptops can be used anywhere on AUT premises.
How do I book a Computer?
Most computers in the Tech Central areas can be booked in advance. Students can make 2 advanced bookings at any one time. Each booking slot is available for a maximum time of 2 Hours and can be extended if available.
Although it is recommended that you book a computer in advance to avoid peak time demand, you can also walk in and find a computer that has not been booked. The system will automatically book you till the next booked slot or for 2 hours if no booking has been made after you.
Please note, due to the unpredictability of computer faults, making a booking does not completely guarantee that you will be able to use that computer. Our staff will endeavour to find you another computer. If you see a faulty computer, please report it to our staff at Tech Central.
For instructions on how to book a computer at Tech Central, please click here.
To find an available computer on campus, please click here.
- You may have up to 2 advanced bookings at any one time.
- Each booking slot is available for a maximum time of 2 Hours.
- After attending a booked slot, canceling a booking or when your booking expires, you gain another booking slot.
- You have 10 minutes to show up for your booking before it expires. During this time, only you can log in on the computer.
- If you are using a study room computer please ensure that you are logged on to the computer in the room.
- You can only book 7 days in advance.
- You will be prompted 15, 5 and 1 Minute before your booking is about to expire. You will be automatically logged off and any unsaved work will be lost!
- If a computer has not been booked, you may freely use it without booking. System will automatically book you till the next booked slot or 2 Hours if no booking has been made after you.
- If you find a faulty computer or equipment, you must report it to the IT Service Desk. Faulty computers will be made unavailable until it has been repaired.
- Due to the unpredictability of computer faults, making a booking does not completely guarantee that you will be able to use that computer.
Software available on Tech Central Computers
Tech Central computers are loaded with various faculty images such as Business, Science-Engineering and Hospitality. These Computers host specialized applications as specifically required by faculties. For example, Science and Engineering computers will have applications which hospitality computers may not have. However all the computers have the same general image which consists of the basic applications such as Microsoft Office Suite.
Detailed list of software on selected computers, please click here
Guidelines for Lab Usage
Please act in a courteous manner and respect the rules set out in the AUT Computer Use Policy. These rules include:
- No playing games.
- No smoking, eating or drinking.
- No talking on cell phones.
- No unnecessary noise.
The ICT Service Desk staff has the right to ask you to leave if you are causing disruption.