Senior Lecturer (above the bar); Manager, Refugee Centre
Phone: +64 9 921 9784
Mobile: 021 744 022
Address: Centre for Refugee Education, Private Bag 92006, Auckland 1142.
Maria Hayward leads the education team at the Centre. She is responsible for liaison with on-site agencies, AUT, the Ministry of Education, the Tertiary Education Commission, and for representing the Centre externally. Maria has worked in the field of refugee education in New Zealand, for over 20 years. Marias current research interests lie in the provision of refugee on-arrival education worldwide, refugee resettlement issues, and refugee education.
- BA (Auckland University)
- MA (First Class Honours, AUT University)
- Dip Teaching (Auckland)
- Dip TESSOL (Auckland).
- On-arrival Education
- Guest lecturer — Nursing, Teaching, Social Work and Psychotherapy Programmes.
Memberships and affiliations
- Auckland Refugee Family Trust (Trustee)
- Centre for Migrant and Refugee Research, AUT University.
- Distinguished Teaching Award (AUT)
- Certificate of Appreciation (Refugee Coalition)
- Refugee Resettlement
- Refugee Education
- On-arrival Programmes
- Refugee–centred Approaches.
Thesis: Applying Post-critical Approaches to Refugee-centred Teaching
- A comparative description of resettlement programmes at the CRE and in the Netherlands and Norway
- Welcoming procedures for refugee students in NZ schools
- Interagency response to the "Tampa" group arrival.
Key themes for current projects: Teaching as Therapy; Ecological, Rights and Strengths-based Approaches; Interpreting in refugee contexts.
- Ecological Approaches in Refugee Education
Maria was a featured speaker at the University of Auckland: Asian – Ethnic Minority Health and Wellbeing Conference, June 2012.