Dr Ella Henry
Phone: +64 9 921 999 extn 6097
Te Ara Poutama,
Wellesley Street East,
Auckland Central 1142
Private Bag 92006
BA, MPhil, PhD
Memberships and Affiliations:
Ngāti Kahu ki Whangaroa, Ngāti Kuri, Te Rārawa
Dr Ella Henry has an academic background in Sociology, Māori Studies and Management Studies. Dr Henry has been actively involved in Māori broadcasting having recently served as the president for Ngā Aho Whakaari, the Association of Māori in Screen Production.
Māori media, Cooperative Education, Māori business
Dr Henry’s research areas are in the fields of Māori development, Māori entrepreneurship, Māori careers, Māori media and screen production
(Last four years)
- Henry, E., & Spooner, H. (2013). The Brown Book: Māori in screen production, a Case Study in digital education. In 3rd International Mobile Creativity and Mobile Innovation Symposium. AUT, Auckland.
- Henry, E. (2013). Te Whare Ako: architecture speaks to heart, mind and spirit.. In Sustainability Conference. Albany Campus, Auckland.
- Henry, E., Spiller, C., & Wolfgramme, R. (2013). Indigenous spirituality at work: transforming the spirit of business enterprise for sustainable futures. In He Manawa Whenua Indigenous Research Conference. Hamilton, NZ.
- Henry, E., & Wikaire, M. (2013). The Brown Book - Maori in Screen Production. Auckland: Nga Aho Whakaari.
- Henry, E. (2013). Emancipatory Maori Entrepreneurship in Screen Production: Theory and application. In Eigth European Conference on Innvoation and Entrepreneurship Proceedings (pp. 296-302). Brussels, Belgium.
- Henry, E. (2012). Indigenous entrepreneurship in screen production: a Maori case study. Journal of Australian Indigenous Issues, 15(4), 98-101.
- Henry, E. (2012). Wairua Auaha: emancipatory Māori entrepreneurship in screen production. Unpublished PhD thesis-exegesis, Auckland University of Technology, in AUT Scholarly Commons at: http://hdl.handle.net/10292/4085
- Henry, E. (2012). Indigenous Media Aspirations in the Digital Age. Keynote presentation at the First Australians Media National Conference, Australian Indigenous Communications Association, Rydges Hotel, South Brisbane, 22nd October.
- Henry, E. (2011). Toward a theory of indigenous entrepreneurship. Published proceedings from the 6th European Conference on Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, Scotland, 15-16th September, pp. 930-938.
- Henry, E. (2011). Māori Screen Industry: Cultural identity, cultural enterprise. 3rd International Social Innovation Research Conference. South Bank University, London, 12-13th September.
- Henry, E. (2012). Indigenous entrepreneurship in screen production: a Maori case study.. In 57th World Conference of the International Council for Small Business Summaries of Presentations and Sessions. Wellington. Retrieved from http://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/fms/Colleges/College%20of%20Business/ICSB/Final%20Docs/ICSB%20Summary%20Booklet.pdf
- Henry, E. (2011). Maori & screen production. In 14th Asia Pacific Research in Organisation Studies Conference. Auckland, NZ.
- Henry, E. (2011). Maori screen industry: a case study. In Optimising Maori Economic Development Symposium. Ngā Pae o Te Maramatanga Sympoiusm, Wellington.
- Henry, E. (2011). Māori careers and entrepreneurship in screen production. In 3rd International Social Innovation Research Conference. London, United Kingdom.
- Henry, E. (2011). Toward a theory of indigenous entrepreneurship in screen production. In H. Fulford (Ed.), Toward a theory of indigenous entrepreneurship in screen production (pp. 930-938). Reading, United Kingdom: Academic Publishing Ltd. Retrieved from http://academicconferences.or/2-proceddings.htm
- Henry, E., & Spooner, H. (2010). International Symposium on Maori and Indigenous Screen Production. In Unknown Conference (pp. 1-155). AUT: Te Ara Poutama. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/10292/1099
- Henry, E. (2010). [Review of Metge, J (2010). Tuamaka: The challenge of difference in Aoteroa New Zealand. Auckland: Auckland University Press]. In New Zealand Sociology (Vol. 25, Iss. 1, pp. 179-181).
- Wolfgramm, R., & Henry, E. (2010). Careers as life journeys envisioning the future, present and past. In Traditional Knowledge Conference 2010. New Zealand.
- Henry, E. (2010). Reflections on research within an ecology of creativity. In Traditional Knowledge Conference. Ngā Pae o Te Maramatanga, Auckland.
- Henry, E. (2010). Kaupapa Maori entrepreneurship: Traditional concepts applied to sustainable business development. In T. J. S. Rito, & S. M. Healy (Eds.), Proceedings of the Traditional Knowledge Conference 2008: Te Tatau Pounamu: The Greenstone Door (pp. 185-196). Auckland, New Zealand: Nga Pae o Te Maramatanga.
- Henry, E. (2010). Globalisation, international trade liberalisation and Maori development. In Globalisation and Public Policy: An International Cross Cultural Research Exchange Conference. Auckland.
- Pringle, J., Wolfgramm, R., & Henry, E. (2010). Extending cross-ethnic research partnerships: Researching with respect. In S. Katila, S. Merilainen, & J. Tienari (Eds.), Making inclusion work: Experiences from academia around the world (pp. 127-142). Cheltenham, England: Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd.