Dr Sean Phelps
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext. 7094
North Shore campus, AUT University, School of Sport & Recreation, Private Bag 92006, Auckland 1142
Links to relevant web pages:
North American Society for Sport Management
Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand
Sport Marketing Association
New Zealand Tourism Research Institute
- Sport Governance
- Sport Marketing
- Sport Sociology
- Organizational theory
- International sport federations
- National governing bodies
Dr. Sean Phelps is a Senior Lecturer in Sport and Recreation Management at AUT University where he teaches at both the undergraduate and graduate level. His research interests focus on organizational theory and legitimacy. Dr. Phelps has extensive practitioner experience in sport having worked for USA Triathlon, Big Sky State Games, Florida Sunshine State Games, Florida Senior Games, Montana Special Olympics, and the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympic Games.
Current Research Projects:
- Why trademark protection legislation is rarely used to prosecute ambush marketers of major events.
- "That which isn’t worth replicating isn’t worth knowing”: Is theoretical replication and extension in sport management research missing?
- Perceptions of Legitimacy amongst Members and Non-Members of a Federated Network: A Case Study of the New Zealand Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs NZ)
- Oceania Football Confederation: The impact of affiliate disaffiliation on the inter-organizational dynamics of a federated network
Phelps, S., & Kent, A. (2010). Isomorphism and choice in the creation and development of an international sport federation: A review of the International Triathlon Union. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, 8(3/4), 277-295.
Phelps, S. (2010). Communicating the need for a new field of dreams: If we don’t rebuild it will they go? Sport Management Review, 13(3), 296-304.
Dickson, G., Phelps, S., & Waugh, D. (2010). Multi-level governance in an international strategic alliance: The plight of the Phoenix and the Asian football market. Asian Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 22(1), 111-124.
Phelps, S., & Dickson, G. (2009). Symbolic isomorphism and legitimacy: New Zealand’s Ice Blacks and Ice Fernz hockey teams. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, 5(1/2), 90-100.
Dittmore, S., Mahony, D., Andrew, D.F., & Phelps, S. (2007). Is sport management research diverse? A five-year analysis of dissertations. International Journal of Sport Management, 8(1), 21-31.
- 2012 Northwest College Distinguished Alum
- 2008 Montana State University-Billings Outstanding Alumni: Exceptional Contribution