Dr Lynn Kidman
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext. 6678
Links to relevant web pages:
- AIESEP (Association Internationale des Ecoles Supérieures ďEducation Physique – International Association for Physical Education in Higher Education)
- TGfU (Teaching Games for Understanding)
- Sports coaching
- Children in Sport
- Sport Coaching Pedagogy
- Athlete centred coaching
My focus is on athlete-centred coaching in coach development and understanding how we train coaches. I am interested to determine pedagogical understanding of coaching and promote a perceptual, decision-making way of training athletes. Teaching Games for Understanding (TGfU) and its humanistic approach is also of interest. My students tend to use qualitative methodologies, including ethnography.
Current Research Projects:
- HP Coaches’ pedagogies
- New Zealand Coach Development Framework
- Current students’ research: body pedagogies at schools (ethnography), meanings to play for NZ (ethnographic action research), autoethnography on student experience, applying self-determination theory in coaching (ethnographic action research).
- Kidman, L. & Lombardo, B. (Eds) (2010). Athlete-centred Coaching: Developing decision makers, Worcester, UK: IPC Print Resources.
- Kidman, L. & Hanrahan, S.J. (2010). The coaching process: A practical guide to becoming an effective sports coach. London: Routledge.
- Kidman, L. (2005). Athlete-centred Coaching: Developing inspired and inspiring people, Christchurch, NZ: Innovative Print Communications.
- Medcalf, R., Marshall, J., Visser, J., Kidman, L., & Hardman, K. (2010). Physical Education and children and young people with social emotional and behavior difficulties. In S. Cazzoli, B. Antala (eds) Integration and Inclusion in Physical Education, pp. 125-133. Tipolcianky, Slovenia: END spl.s r.o.
- Kidman, L. & Lombardo, B. (2010) TGfU and humanistic coaching. In L.Griffin and J. Butler, More Teaching Games for Understanding (2nd Ed) (187-208). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Kidman, L. (2010). Holism in sports coaching: beyond humanistic Psychology: A commentary. International Journal of Sport Science and Coaching, 5(4), 473-475.
- Cassidy, T. and Kidman, L. (2010) Initiating a national coaching curriculum: a paradigmatic shift? Physical Education & Sport Pedagogy, 15(3), 307-322.