Deputy Head of School - School of Language and Culture; Senior Lecturer
Phone: 64 9 921 9999 ext 6089
Room 801, Level 8, AUT Tower, corner of Wakefield and Rutland Streets, Auckland Central.
- Master of Arts (Applied Linguistics) (First Class Honours)
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Second Language Teaching
- RSA Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language
- Diploma in Teaching
- Bachelor of Arts.
Memberships and Affiliations:
- TESOLANZ (Teachers of English for Speakers of Other Languages, New Zealand)
- AKTESOL (Auckland Teachers of English for Speakers of Other Languages)
- AUT Refugee and Migrant Research Cluster.
- Undergraduate: Sociolinguistics
- Undergraduate and Post Graduate: Language Teacher Education.
- Language Teacher Education
- Immersion/Study Abroad programmes for teachers
- Refugee and Migrant Education (adult)
- Vague language usage in informal oral discourse.
Annelies has research interests in several areas related to Language Teaching and Language Teacher Education.
She has published in the areas of:
- Immersion/Study Abroad programmes for teachers of languages
- Intercultural Competence for language teachers
- Adult Refugee and Migrant Education in New Zealand
- Teaching English conversation skills
- Using corpora to inform language teaching
- Vague language markers used in informal spoken discourse.
Current Research Projects:
Current research interests include Language Teacher professional development, and Study Abroad programmes and their contribution to language proficiency, cultural knowledge and the development of Intercultural Competence.
- Roskvist, A., Harvey, S., Corder, D. & Stacey, K. (2013) ‘To improve language, you have to mix’: Teachers’ perceptions of language learning in an overseas immersion environment. The Language Learning Journal. Pp1-13. Available from Taylor & Francis Online.
- Richards, H., Conway, C., Roskvist, A., Harvey, S. (2012), Foreign language teachers’ language proficiency and their language teaching practice. The Language Learning Journal, pp 1- 16 . Available from Taylor & Francis Online.
- Conway, C., Richards, H., Harvey, S. & Roskvist, A. (2012), Professional development for language teachers: Response to a change in learning languages policy. In B. Boufoy-Bastick (Ed.), The International Handbook of Cultures of Professional Development for Teachers: Comparative international issues in collaboration, reflection, management and policy (pp. 159 – 182). Strasbourg, France: Analytrics.
- Roskvist, A., Corder, D., Harvey, S., & Stacey, K. (2011). Developing language teacher capability through immersion Programmes and the impact on student language learning, cultural knowledge and intercultural competence. In A. Witte, & T. Harden (Eds.), Intercultural Competence. Concepts, Challenges, Evaluations (Vol. 10, pp. 209-224). Bern: Peter Lang AG. Retrieved from http://www.peterlang.net/
- Harvey, S., Roskvist, A., Corder, D., & Stacey, K. (2011). An Evaluation of the Language and Culture Immersion Experiences (LCIE) for Teachers Programmes: Their impact on teachers and their contribution to effective second language learning. Wellington, New Zealand: Ministry of Education. View the full report Retrieved from http://www.educationcounts.govt.nz/
- Richards, H., Conway, C., Roskvist, A., & Harvey, S. (2010). Intercultural language learning (ICLL): Awareness and practice of in-service language teachers on a professional development programme. New Zealand Studies in Applied Linguistics, 16(1), 1-15.
- Conway, C., Richards, H., Harvey, S., & Roskvist, A. (2010). Teacher provision of opportunities for learners to develop language knowledge and cultural knowledge. Asia Pacific Journal of Education, 30(4), 449-462. View the full report Retrieved from Taylor and Francis Online.
- Richards, H., Conway, C., Roskvist, A., & Harvey, S. (2011). A framework for analysing observation data: Language teacher provision of opportunities for learners to develop intercultural competence. In A. Witte, & T. Harden (Eds.), Intercultural competence: Concepts, challenges, evaluations (Vol. 10, pp. 239-252). Bern, Switzerland: Peter Lang AG.
- Harvey, Sharon, Clare Conway, Heather Richards and Annelies Roskvist (2009). ‘Evaluation of Teacher Professional Development Languages (TPDL) in Years 7-10 and the Impact on Language Learning Opportunities and Outcomes for Students’. Commissioned Report to Ministry of Education. (192 pages).
- Roskvist, A. (2009) ‘and stuff like that’. Informal spoken language: what should we be teaching and how can we do it? In Bhanot, R. and E. Iles (eds.) Best of Language Issues: Articles from the first 20 years of NATECLA's ESOL Journal London: LLU and London South Bank University.
- Roach, K., & Roskvist, A. (2007). ESOL provision for adult immigrants and refugees in New Zealand: Policy, practice and research. Prospect: An Australian Journal of TESOL, 22(3), 44-63.
- Strauss, P., Roach, K., Roskvist, A., Smedley, F., & Yee, V. (2007) An investigation of EAL (English as an additional language) student pathways in the School of Languages, Auckland University of Technology. Commissioned Report to Ministry of Education. (140 pages).
Conference Contribution - Papers in published proceedings
- Harvey, S., Conway, C., Richards, H., & Roskvist, A. (2010). 'Now I can talk the talk': Experiences of language teachers as students. In P. L. Jeffery (Ed.), AARE 2009 international education research conference (pp. 1-11). Canberra. View the full report Retrieved from Australian Association for Research in Education.
- Roskvist, A. Using corpora to inform language teaching: A case for teaching learners to use vague language. In Major, J., & Howard, J. (Eds) (2005), CLESOL 2004: Refereed Conference Proceedings of the 9th Community Languages and English for Speakers of Other Languages Conference. Christchurch: CLESOL 2004.
- Denny, H., Roskvist, A., & Englefield, B. Improving the teaching of casual conversation through collaborative action research - a 'Leap in the Dark' or a 'Shot in the Arm'? In Major, J., & Howard, J. (Eds) (2005), CLESOL 2004: Refereed Conference Proceedings of the 9th Community Languages and English for Speakers of Other Languages Conference. Christchurch: CLESOL 2004.
- Roskvist, A., Harvey, S., Corder, D., & Stacey, K. (2010). Facilitating the development of language teacher intercultural competence: The contribution of Immersion Programmes. In International Conference on Intercultural Competence. National University of Ireland, Maynooth.