Certificate in English Language
The Certificate in English Language provides students with the English skills they need to prosper in education and in employment.
The Certificate in English Language is for:
- Students who are learning English as an additional language
- New migrants who want to improve their English to prepare for future academic study
- People who want to improve their listening, speaking, reading and writing so that they can study the Certificate in English for Academic Study (AK3309) and/or other university courses.
Programme code: AK1237
Duration: 1/2 year full-time
Venue: City Campus
Start date: 29 February 2016 / 18 July 2016
- Evidence of suitability to undertake the programme
- A language background other than English
- A placement test and interview will be required.
AUT encourages you to apply as early as possible. Late applications will be accepted if the programme is not full. If your language level is below Intermediate we have lower level courses which you can attend.
If you are a refugee AUT has grants available to pay your fees.
- Contact the School of Language and Culture: +64 921 9999 ext 6836
- Visit us in Central Auckland: AUT Tower, Level 8, on the corner of Rutland and Wakefield Streets (Opposite Aotea Square), City Campus.
Preparing for academic study
The Introduction to Academic English level is for students preparing for academic study.
You will practise speaking, reading, listening and writing English.
The 3 Academic English pathways (Academic English 1, 2 and 3) are for students ready to focus on skills they need to study in New Zealand.
These pathways build on the skills taught in the Introduction to Academic English papers.
Students learn by giving presentations, reading and discussing English materials, note taking, essay and report writing.
Introduction to Academic English (Level 4)
ESOL400 Introduction to Academic English
ESOL402 Introduction to Academic English Listening
ESOL403 Introduction to Academic English Reading
ESOL401 Introduction to Academic English Speaking
ESOL404 Introduction to Academic English Writing
Academic English 1 (Level 4)
Academic English 2 (Level 5)
ESOL505 Academic English 2 A1
ESOL506 Academic English 2 A2
ESOL502 Academic English 2, Listening
ESOL503 Academic English 2, Reading
ESOL501 Academic English 2, Speaking
ESOL504 Academic English 2, Writing
Academic English 3 (Level 5)
Last updated: 12-Aug-2015 11.19am
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.