Dr Claire Liu
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 extension 6431
School of Hospitality & Tourism
Faculty of Applied Humanities
AUT city campus
55 Wellesley Street East 1010
Private bag 92006
- PhD Tourism Management, Massey University, New Zealand
- Master of Business Studies, Massey University, New Zealand
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration, Massey University, New Zealand
- Master of International Business Law, Beijing University of International Business, P.R.China
- Bachelor of Economics, Northeast University of Finance & Economics, P.R.China.
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Research Committee Member, Faculty of Applied humanities, AUT University, February 2008 to present
- Member of New Zealand Tourism Research Institute, November 2007 to present
- Member of the International Society of Culture, Tourism and Hospitality Research (USA), June 2007 to June 2009.
- The business of tourism
- Tourism marketing
- Tourism management and entrepreneurship
- Research Project Management
- Supervision of Tourism Cooperative Education
- Supervision of Masters research projects
- SMEs and tourism management
- Customer expectation and satisfaction
- Service quality management
- Emerging tourist markets
- Sustainable tourism management
Dr Liu graduated with a Ph.D. in Tourism Management from Massey University, New Zealand. Her thesis researched the development and implementation of a quality measurement and improvement strategy based on a specified combination of two TQM tools — SERVQUAL and QFD.
The methodology was trialled and refined in three Rotorua based tourist attractions and centred on the appropriateness of applying such quality improvement techniques to the small business sector of the New Zealand tourism industry.
Dr Liu has a six-year research involvement with the New Zealand tour operators which provided her with first hand information and knowledge in the operation of tourism business.
Dr Liu has presented and published her research works at numerous international tourism research conferences in Australia, UK, USA, China and New Zealand.
Current Research Projects:
- Tourism SMEs and quality management strategies
- The emerging Chinese market
- Liu, C. (2009). Are New Zealand Tourism SMEs ready for the Chinese market: A focus on quality management. Proceedings of 2009 TTRA Annual Conference, 20-24 June, 2009. Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
- Liu, C. (2007). Changing customer expectations and the challenges for quality service delivery in the tourism industry. ORION Observatory: 21-century guest expectations: The mint on the pillow will not be enough. 26 – 28 October, Suzhou, China. ORION Journal of International Hotel Management. Issue No. 3. p. 71.
- Liu, C. (2007). Visitor satisfaction and continuous quality improvement strategies for small tour operation. Proceedings of the 5th Bi-Annual Symposium of Consumer Psychology of Tourism, Hospitality and Leisure. 4-6 June 2007, Charleston, South Carolina, USA.
- Liu, C. & Vitalis, T. (2006). Combining SERQVUAL and QFD within a strategic management of quality framework. Proceedings of the 11th World Congress for Total Quality Management. 4-6 December 2006, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Liu, C. & Smith, R. W. (2006). The implementation of QFD as quality improvement programme for a cultural tourism operator in New Zealand. Proceedings of the Cutting Edge Research in Tourism Conference. 6-9 June.
- 2006, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK.
- Liu, C., Smith, R.W. & Barnes, D. (2002). The application of SERVQUAL as an initial tool for the implementation of QFD for small tourism attractions in New Zealand. Proceedings of the International Tourism Student Conference. 2-4 December 2002, Rotorua, NZ. pp. 30-37.
- Barnes, D., Liu, C. & Smith, R. W. (2002). Using SERVQUAL as an initial tool for the implementation of QFD for small tour operators. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on ISO 9000 & TQM- Change Management. 2-4 April 2002, Melbourne, Australia, pp. 365-371.
- Smith, R.W. & Liu, C. (2001). Mike & Doug Tamaki: Tamaki Tours Ltd. In A. Cameron, & C. Massey (Eds.), Entrepreneurs at work (pp. 24-33). Massey University: Palmerston North, New Zealand.
- Liu, C. (1998). Application of Quality Function Deployment in the Service Industry. Proceedings of the 5th Annual New Zealand Engineering and Technology Postgraduate Conference, Massey University: Palmerston North, New Zealand.
- AUT Contestable Research Grant 2008
- AUT Contestable Overseas Conference Fund 2009.
Last updated: 14-Feb-2014 10.15pm
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.