Master of Philosophy
The Master of Philosophy in the School of Hospitality and Tourism enables you to complete a one-year research thesis. It is a possible pathway to doctoral studies.
- A one-year research-only master's degree that encourages students to develop interdisciplinary research projects.
- The Master of Philosophy (MPhil) thesis can be structured to include a substantial creative project.
- Each student is allocated a supervisory team with whom they will meet regularly throughout their course of study.
Programme code: AK3270
Duration: 1 year full-time / up to 3 years part-time
Venue: City Campus
Start date: Any time
Structure and content
The MPhil is characterised by advanced study and original research in a discipline, and as such:
- Demands knowledge of the wider subject in which the topic for intensive investigation is situated.
- Requires sustained supervised research.
- Includes pure or applied research, creative planning and design, practical work and original scholarship, with graduates demonstrating well developed skills of research, critical analysis and application so as to demonstrate independence of thought in their area of specialisation.
- Requires excellent communication skills for creating, synthesising, evaluating and persuading.
- Expects a tangible output that pushes the boundaries of knowledge in a discipline or field of study.
The research for the MPhil culminates in a 120-point thesis. The thesis demonstrates the ability of the candidate to carry out supervised research in a sustained investigation, which contributes to knowledge in the area of specialisation.
It is conducted with a high level of skill in analysis and critical evaluation, and should provide evidence that the candidate is familiar with and has employed the most suitable research methods, and that the procedures are clearly of a master's degree level.
Faculty of Culture and Society Masterate Fee Scholarship
These scholarships are part of a group of strategic scholarships for the Faculty of Culture and Society. Read more about Masterate Fee Scholarships
Last updated: 26-Sep-2016 11.43am
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.