Lecturer - Nursing
Phone: +64 9 9219999 ext. 7539
North Shore Campus
90 Akoranga Drive
North Shore City
Links to relevant web pages:
- Masters of Health Science (Advanced Nursing) (Hons)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Advanced Nursing (Emergency Nursing)
- Bachelor of Health Science (Nursing)
- Certificate in Tertiary Teaching
- Certificate in Adult Teaching
- Diploma in Recreation Management
- PhD in Health Informatics (Computing/Mathematics)
Memberships and Affiliations:
Referee / Reviewer
- Emergency Medicine Journal
- Contemporary Nurse
- Health Care and Informatics Review Online
- Health Informatics New Zealand Conference
- Nursing Informatics New Zealand Conference
Sally Britnell is currently Lecturer in Nursing at AUT University. Research is primarily related to pediatric health. Prior this she was employed as a registered nurse for 16 years and has also worked and volunteered for St John for 20 years and held many roles such as ambulance officer, nurse, clinical standards tutor and volunteer team manager. Sally is interested in using online learning and mobile technology in health education. Her recent research involves weight estimation in paediatric resuscitation and she has plans to extend this to include application of technology to paediatric weight estimation as a PhD thesis.
- Health Assessment (Adult and Child)
- Health Informatics
- Infection Control
- Primary Health Care
- Weight estimation in paediatric resuscitation
- Mobile technology to decrease cognitive loading in paediatric resuscitation
- Mobile technology in student and patient education
- Photogrammetry / Image Processing
- Nutrition / Anthropometry
- Evaluation of teaching and learning
Current Research Projects:
- Mobile technology to decrease cognitive loading in paediatric resuscitation.
- Nurses Nutrition Study: Comparison of anthropometric measures and food habits of student nurses.
- Use of evidence based practice of registered nurses.
- How can technology assist student learning in nursing education
- mLearn (Sydney) (October 2016)
- Health Informatics New Zealand (October 2016)
- National Nursing Informatics Conference (October 2016)
- Health Informatics New Zealand (October 2015)
- National Nursing Informatics Conference (October 2015)
- Australasian Nurse Educators Conference (November 2015)
- Health Hackathon – Solving Self Care (February 2015)
- Health Informatics New Zealand (November 2014)
- National Paramedic Forum (2014)
- eHealth Unconference (July 2014)
- Mearns, G. J., Chepulis, L., Britnell, S., & Skinner, K. (2017). Health and Nutritional Literacy of New Zealand Nursing Students. J Nurs Educ, 56(1), 43-48. doi:10.3928/01484834-20161219-09
- Britnell, S., Taylor, S., & Koziol-McLain, J. (2016). Emergency weight estimation lookup tables for New Zealand children aged 5-10 years. Emergency Medicine Australasia. doi:10.1111/1742-6723.12637
- Britnell, S., & Koziol-McLain, J. (2015). Weight estimation in paediatric resuscitation: A hefty issue in New Zealand. Emergency Medicine Australasia. doi.org/10.1111/1742-6723.12389
- Britnell, S., Conaglen, J., Johns, S., & Narayan, V. (2014). Nursing students as agents of change: Empowering patients using mobile technology in health promotion. In Health Informatics New Zealand Conference 2014. Auckland, New Zealand. Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/HINZ/1200-britnell-nursing-students-as-agents-of-change
- Britnell, S. (2014). Students as agents of change. Empowering households and communities through the use of mobile social media in a clinical paper (Poster presented at AUT LTDF showcase). Auckland, New Zealand. New Zealand. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B25Ot5gln4X0QlNvRWlLUnp3LW8/view?usp=sharing
- Britnell, S. (2014). To compare the accuracy of the Broselow-Luten Tape and APLS, Theron and Shann’s formulae in prediction of weight in children aged 5 to 10 years in Auckland. Auckland University of Technology. http://aut.researchgateway.ac.nz/handle/10292/7342
- Britnell, S. (2014). Weight estimation in paediatric resuscitation: A hefty Issue. In AUT University Postgraduate Symposium. WG 308.
- Britnell, S. (2014). Weight estimation in paediatric resuscitation: A hefty issue in New Zealand. In National Paramedic Research Forum. Auckland, New Zealand.
- Britnell, S. (2009). Intranasal Fentanyl - An effective first line analgesia for Children (Vol. Spring, pp. 7–7). Presented at the Emergency and Flight Nurses Conference, Auckland: Emergency Nurse New Zealand.
2014 - St John Honors (Member of Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem) - MStJ
Date awarded: November 2014
Awarded by: St John. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2226076
2014 - Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences Teaching Assistant Award 2014
Date awarded: 28 March 2014
Awarded by: AUT University
2013 – LTDF Funding - Students as agents of change: Empowering households and communities through the use of mobile social media in a clinical paper
Date awarded: 15 March 2013
Awarded by: Learning and Teaching Fund (AUT University)
Last updated: 01-Mar-2017 11.32am
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.