Professor Zhan Chen
Phone: +94 9 921 9999 x 8737
- BE (1982), Materials Engineering – Central South University, China
- ME (1985), Materials Engineering – The University of Auckland, NZ
- Ph.D (1990), Materials Engineering – The University of Auckland, NZ
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Society of Materials NZ Inc (SMNZS)
- 2000-Present Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor/ Professor, Dept. Mechanical Eng., AUT University
- 1993-2000 Research / Senior Research Scientist, Manuf. Sci. & Tech., CSIRO, Australia
- 1990-1993 Research / Senior Research Metallurgist, Res. Centre, Pasminco Ltd, Australia
- Materials engineering
- Manufacturing processes/technologies
- Friction stir welding (current work on dissimilar metals)
- Machinability of Ni superalloys and Ti alloys
- Additive manufacturing (selective laser melting, electron beam melting)
- Physical/mechanical metallurgy (in welding, casting & extrusion)
- Microstructure and mechanical properties of materials
- N.H. Razak, Z.W. Chen, T. Pasang, “Modes of tool deterioration during milling of 718Plus superalloy using cemented tungsten carbide tools”, Wear 316 (2014) 92–100.
- Z.W. Chen, S. Yazdanian and G. Littlefair, “Effects of tool positioning on joint interface microstructure and fracture strength of friction stir lap Al-to-steel welds”, Journal of Materials Science 48 (2013) 2624-2634.
- S. Yazdanian, Z.W. Chen and G. Littlefair, “Effects of friction stir lap welding parameters on weld features on advancing side and fracture strength of A6060-T5 welds”, Journal of Materials Science 47 (2012) 1251-1261.
- S. Cui, Z.W. Chen and J.D. Robson, “A model relating tool torque and its associated power and specific energy to rotation and forward speeds during friction stir welding/processing”, International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacturing, 50 (2010) 1023-1030.
- J.D. Robson, S. Cui & Z.W. Chen, “Incipient melting during friction stir processing of AZ91 magnesium castings”, Materials Science Engineering A, 527 (2010) 7299-7304.
- T. Zhu, Z.W. Chen & W. Gao, “Microstructure formation in partially melted zone during gas tungsten arc welding of AZ91 Mg cast alloy”, Materials Characterization, 59 (2008) 1550-1558.
- Z.W. Chen & S. Cui, “On the mechanism of banded structures in aluminium alloy friction stir welds”, Scripta Materialia, 58 (2008) 417-420.
- Z.W. Chen, T. Pasang & Y. Qi, “Shear layer and formation of nugget zone during friction stir welding of aluminium Alloy 5083-O”, Materials Science and Engineering A, 474 (2008) 312-316.
- T. Zhu, Z. W. Chen & W. Gao, “Incipient melting in partially melted zone during arc welding of AZ91D magnesium alloy”, Materials Science and Engineering A 416 (2006) 246-252.
- Z.W. Chen, "Formation and progression of die soldering during high pressure die casting”, Materials Science and Engineering A 379 (2005) 356-369.
- G. Winkelman, Z.W. Chen, D.H. StJohn & M.Z. Jahedi, “Morphological features of interfacial intermetallics and interfacial reaction rate in Al-11Si-2.5Cu-(0.15/0.60)Fe cast alloy/die Steel couples ", Journal of Materials Science 39 (2004) 519-528.
- Z.W. Chen “Skin solidification during high pressure die casting of Al-11Si-2Cu-1Fe alloy" Materials Science and Engineering A 348 (2003) 145-153.
- O. Kamiya, Z.W. Chen & Y. Kikuchi, "Microporosity formation in partially melted zone during GTA welding of high nitrogen austenitic stainless steels", Journal of Materials Science 37 (2002) 2475-2481.
- Z.W. Chen, S.R. Peck and C.J. Davidson, “Semisolid casting using a vertical injection squeeze casting machine: material flow and tensile properties of Al-7Si-0.3Mg alloy”, International Journal of Cast Metals Research, 12, 1999, 127-135.
- Z.W. Chen, D.T. Fraser and M.Z. Jahedi, “Structures of intermetallic phases formed during immersion of H13 tool steel in an Al-11Si-3Cu die casting alloy melt”, Materials Science and Engineering A, 260, 1999, 188-196.
- Z.W. Chen and W.R. Thorpe, “The effect of squeeze casting pressure and iron content on the impact energy of Al-7Si-0.7Mg alloy”, Materials Science and Engineering A, 221, 1996, 143-153.
- Z.W. Chen, J.B. See and W.F. Gillian, “Corrosion behaviour of low antimony lead alloy in sulfuric acid solution”, Journal of Power Sources, 50, 1994, 47-55.
- Z.W. Chen, J.T. Gregory and R.M. Sharp, “Intermetallic phases formed during hot dipping of low carbon steel in a Zn-5%Al melt at 450°C”, Metallurgical Transactions A, 23A, 1992, 2393-2400.
- Z.W. Chen, R.M. Sharp and J.T. Gregory, “Fe-Al-Zn ternary phase diagram at 450°C”, Materials Science and Technology, 6, 1990, 1173-1176.
Last updated: 18-Dec-2014 4.02pm
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.