Professor Edmund Lai
Head of Department - Information Technology & Software Engineering
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext 8429
School of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences
AUT Tower (WT Bldg), Level 1
2-14 Wakefield Street
Auckland University of Technology
School of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences
Private Bag 92006
Links to relevant web pages:
For more details, go to my personal website
- BE(Hons) in Electrical Engineering, The University of Western Australia, 1982
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, The University of Western Australia, 1991
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Fellow, The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
- Chartered Engineer (UK)
- Senior Member, The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
Edmund joined AUT in February 2016. He obtained his BE(Hons) and PhD in Electrical Engineering from The University of Western Australia in 1982 and 1991 respectively. Prior to joining AUT, he was with the School of Engineering and Advanced Technology at Massey University from 2006. He had also held various academic positions in the School of Computer Engineering at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore, School of Engineering with Edith Cowan University in Western Australia, and Department of Information Engineering at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. He had also worked as a independent consultant, developing industrial training courses and optimization software for the mining industry in Australia. His general research interests include multimedia signal processing, machine learning techniques, wireless networks and information theory.
- Multimedia signal processing - mathematical foundations and applications
- Artificial neural networks
- Control theory - complex systems and swarm of autonomous agents
- Cognitive and software defined radio networks
- Information theory for networks
Selected Refereed Journal Papers
Selected Refereed Conference Papers
- G. Cao, E. M-K. Lai and F. Alam, "Gaussian Process Model Predictive Control of Unknown Nonlinear Systems," IET Control Theory & Applications, accepted for publication, 2017.
- S. Alam, E. M-K. Lai, J. Young and S.M.R. Hasan, "Rapid Electronic Prediction of Gene Expression Regulation in Bacterial Cells," Electronics Letters, vol. 50, no. 22, 23rd October 2014, pp.1566-1568. (DOI: 10.1049/el.2014.2144)
- S.J. Darak, A.P. Vinod, E. M-K. Lai, J. Palicot and H. Zhang, "Linear Phase VDF Design with Unabridged Bandwidth Control over the Nyquist Band," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, vol. 61, no. 6, 2014, pp.428-432. (DOI: 10.1109/TCSII.2014.2319992)
- M.Y. Baig, E. M-K. Lai and A. Punchihewa, "Compressed Sensing Based Distributed Image Compression," Applied Sciences, Special Issue on Digital Signal Processing and Engineering Applications, Vol. 4, no. 2, 2014, pp.128-147. (DOI: 10.3390/app4020128)
- S.J. Darak, K.G. Smitha, A.P. Vinod and E. M-K. Lai, "A Low Complexity Reconfigurable Fast Filter Bank for Multi-standard Wireless Receivers," IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, Vol. 22, no. 5, 2014, pp.1202-1206. (DOI: 10.1109/TVLSI.2013.2263813)
- S.J. Darak, A.P. Vinod and E. M-K. Lai, "Efficient Implementation of Reconfigurable Warped Digital Filters With Variable Lowpass, Highpass, Bandpass And Bandstop Responses," IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, Vol. 21, no. 6, June 2013, pp.1165-1169. (DOI:10.1109/TVLSI.2012.2203158)
- S.D. Teddy, C. Quek, E. M-K. Lai and A. Cinar, "PSECMAC Intelligent Insulin Schedule for Diabetic Blood Glucose Management Under Non Meal Announcement," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 21, no. 3, March 2010, pp.361-380. (DOI: 10.1109/TNN.2009.2036726)
- S.D. Teddy, C. Quek and E. M-K. Lai, "A Cerebellar Associative Memory Approach to Option Pricing and Arbitrage Trading," Neurocomputing, Vol. 71, nos. 16-18, October 2008, pp.3303-3315. (DOI: 10.1016/j.neucom.2008.04.039)
- S.D. Teddy, C. Quek and E. M-K. Lai, "PSECMAC: A Novel Self-Organizing Multi Resolution Associative Memory Architecture," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 19, no. 4, April 2008, pp.689-712. (DOI: 10.1109/TNN.2007.912300)
- S. Xiao and E. M-K. Lai, "A Rough Programming Approach to Power-Balanced Instruction Scheduling for VLIW Digital Signal Processors," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 56, No. 4, April 2008, pp.1698-1709. (DOI: 10.1109/TSP.2007.909003)
- S.D. Teddy, E. M-K. Lai and C. Quek, "Hierarchically Clustered Adaptive Quantization CMAC and Its Learning Convergence," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol.18, No.6, Nov 2007, pp.1658-1682. (DOI: 10.1109/TNN.2007.900810)
- S. Xiao and E. M-K. Lai, "VLIW Instruction Scheduling for Minimum Power Variation," ACM Transactions on Architecture and Code Optimization, Vol.4, No.3, Sep 2007, Article 18 (31 pages). (DOI: 10.1145/1275937.1275942)
- N.B. Ho, J.C. Tay and E. M-K. Lai, "An Effective Architecture for Learning and Evolving Job-Shop Schedules," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.179, No.2, 1 June 2007, pp.316-333. (DOI: 10.1016/j.ejor.2006.04.007)
- A.P. Vinod and E. M-K. Lai, "Low-power and High-speed Implementation of Pulse Shaping Filters in Software Defined Radio Receivers," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol.5, No.7, July 2006, pp.1669-1675. (DOI: 10.1109/TWC.2006.1673078)
- A.P. Vinod and E. M-K. Lai, "An Efficient Coefficient Partitioning Algorithm for Implementing Low-power and High-speed Digital Filters," IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, Vol. 24, no. 12, Dec 2005, pp.1936-1946. (DOI: 10.1109/TCAD.2005.852659)
- H. Lauw, S.C. Hui and E. M-K. Lai, "Shared-Storage E-auctioning Ensures Data Availability," IEEE Internet Computing, Vol. 8, no. 5, Sep/Oct 2004, pp.22-28. (DOI: 10.1109/MIC.2004.50)
- H.W. Chun and E. M-K. Lai, "Intelligent Critic Systems for Architectural Design," IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 4, July/August 1997, pp. 625-639. (DOI: 10.1109/69.617054)
- C-S. Leung, L-W. Chan and E. M-K. Lai, "Stability and Statistical Properties of Second-Order Bidirectional Associative Memory," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 8, No. 2, March 1997, pp. 267-277. (DOI: 10.1109/72.557664)
- G. Cao, E. M-K. Lai and F. Alam, "Gaussian Process based Model Predictive Control for Linear Time Varying Systems," IEEE 14th International Workshop on Advanced Motion Control (AMC), 22-24 April 2016, Auckland, New Zealand.
- G. Cao, E. M-K. Lai and F. Alam, "Gaussian Process Model Predictive Control of Unmanned Quadrotors," 2nd International Conference on Control, Automation and Robotics (ICCAR), 28-30 April 2016, Hong Kong, China. pdf
- G. Cao, E. M-K. Lai and F. Alam, "Particle Swarm Optimization for Convolved Gaussian Process Models," International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), 6-11 July 2014, Beijing, China, pp.1573-1578. (DOI:10.1109/IJCNN.2014.6889408)
- S.J. Darak, A.P. Vinod and E. M-K. Lai, "An Area And Power Efficient Two-Stage Parallel Spectrum Sensing Scheme For Cognitive Radios," 2012 International Symposium on Communications and Information Technologies (ISCIT), 2-5 October 2012, Gold Coast, Australia. pdf
- M.Y. Baig, E. M-K. Lai and A. Punchihewa, "Low Complexity Side Information for Distributed Compressed Video Coding," IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing, Communications and Computing, 12-15 August 2012, Hong Kong, China, pp.436-441. pdf
- M.Y. Baig, E. M-K. Lai and A. Punchihewa, "Distributed Video Coding Based on Compressed Sensing," First International Workshop on Social Multimedia Computing, IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), 9-13 July 2012, Melbourne, Australia. pdf
- S.J. Darak, A.P. Vinod and E. M-K. Lai, "Design of Variable Linear Phase FIR Filters Based on Second Order Frequency Transformations and Coefficient Decimation," IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS),20-23 May 2012, Seoul, South Korea.
- M.Y. Baig, E. M-K. Lai and J.P. Lewis, "Quantization Effects on Compressed Sensing Video," 17th International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT),4-7 April 2010, Doha, Qatar, pp.917-922. pdf
- S.J. Darak, A.P. Vinod, R. Mahesh and E. M-K. Lai, "A Reconfigurable Filter Bank for Uniform and Non-uniform Channelization in Multi-standard Wireless Communication Receivers," 17th International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT), 4-7 May 2010, Doha, Qatar, pp.716-721.
- B. Huang, E. M-K. Lai and A.P. Vinod, "Image Resizing and Rotation Based on the Consistent Resampling Theory," International Symposium on Intelligent Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ISPACS), 8-11 Dec 2008, Bangkok, Thailand. pdf
- B. Huang and E. M-K. Lai, "On the Minimum Sampling Rate of Discrete Signals When the Interpolation Function is Non-Ideal," International Symposium on Information Theory and its Applications (ISITA), 7-10 Dec 2008, Auckland, New Zealand. pdf
- B. Huang, E. M-K. Lai and A.P. Vinod, "Implementation and Applications of Consistent Resampling," Sixth International Conference on Information, Communication and Signal Processing (ICICS), Dec 2007, Singapore.
Last updated: 27-Jul-2017 7.30am
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.