Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext 7934
Room AR317, School of Education, AUT North Shore Campus
90 Akoranga Drive, Northcote, Auckland 0627.
School of Education, AUT North Shore Campus
Private Bag 92006, Auckland 1142.
- MA (First Class Hons)
- Dip. Tchg
- NZ Teachers Council Practising Cert.
Dean has been a teacher educator of adult and tertiary teachers for nearly 30 years. He has particular research interests in teacher educator pedagogy, adult learning theory, facilitation of learning communities, the idea, role and purposes of the university, work-based and experiential learning, action research, transformational learning and spirituality.
Other academic interests include ancient and modern philosophy, religion, political philosophy, history, performance aesthetics, post-secularity and postmodernity, complexity and systems theory, and literary & cultural theory.
- Tertiary and Adult Learning and Teaching:
- Paper 296101: Adult Teaching and Learning (Grad Dip in Tertiary Teaching)
- Paper 298003: The Inquiring Adult and Higher Education Teacher (Postgraduate Certificate in Education)
- Paper 298004: Curriculum Design and Assessment in Higher Education (Postgraduate Certificate in Education)
- Supervisor for M.Ed. and M.Phil
- Paper 299025: Contemporary Issues in Education.
Current Research Projects:
- Teacher Educator Pedagogies
- Adult Learning Theory, Philosophy and Practice
- University curriculum theory and pedagogy
- Adult Learning and Spiritual, Religious, and Wisdom Traditions.
- An introduction to the "Radical" Reality-Way teaching of Adi Da Samraj: That which is always already the case: Mindfulness SIG Occasional Papers Wisdom traditions and universities (5):55-62 12 Jul 2012 Repository public URL
- Meditation: "You do not know what even a single thing Is". Mindfulness SIG Occasional Papers Wisdom traditions and universities(5):63-66 2012
- Pondering a curriculum of inquiry into wisdom. Occasional papers 4(Pushing boundaries with mindfulness):1-4 2012 Repository public URL
- An account of one self. Journeys into mindfulness: Occasional papers 2:17-20 2011 Repository public URL
- Characteristics of the inquiring teacher from the 60’s counter culture, a spiritual perspective, and the inquiring teacher educator of the 21st century. Journeys into mindfulness: Occasional papers 2:17-20 2011 Repository public URL
- Zepke, N.,Nugent, D, Leach, L., (2011), (eds.) (2nd Ed.). Reflection to transformation a self-help book for teachers. Wellington, NZ: Dunmore Publishing.
- Zepke, N.,Nugent, D, Leach, L., (2003), (eds.) Reflection to transformation a self-help book for teachers. Palmerston North, NZ: Dunmore Press.
- Nugent, D., (2001) (ed), Autonomy and Accountability, NZ Journal of Adult Learning Vol. 29, No. 2.
- Nugent, D., (1999), An exploration of our limits on cooperation, Connections #49 (A Journal for Teachers of Adults) Wellington Polytechnic.
- Zepke, N.,Nugent, D, Roberts, C., (1996), (eds.) The new self-help book for teachers. Wellington, NZ: WP Press.
- 1986-1989 Editor, publisher, and distributor of Tutor journal and Occasional Papers Series for NZ Polytechnics.
- Zepke, N.,Nugent, D, (1987) (eds.) The teacher self-help book: Approaches to professional development in polytechnics. Lower Hutt, NZ:Tutor Publications.
Last updated: 16-Mar-2016 3.09pm
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.