Senior Lecturer in Information Systems/Information Technology
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 extn 5045
AUT Tower, Level 1,
Links to relevant web pages:
2 – 14 Wakefield St,
- 1971 MSc (Computer Science), Sofia University, Sofia
- 1978 PGradDipSysOrg, Technical University, Sofia
- 1998 GradDipTchg, AUT
- 2002 PGradDipCom, University of Auckland
Memberships and Affiliations:
Krassie has over 10 years of international experience as a manager and consultant in information systems development and information management, and over 20 years of academic teaching and research in information systems and technology, data communication networks, information security and computer science.
Currently, Krassie teaches postgraduate courses (Net-Centric Computing, Information Security, Service Science). She supervises Master's and doctoral postgraduate student research work in mobile services & applications and information security.
Current Research Projects:
- Mobile applications and services modelling and adoption.
- Information security and information security curriculum development.
- Flexible and hybrid models for communication and information technology supported learning.
- Academia and industry alignment in IT/IS.
- Mobile services and applications adoption modelling
- A mobile application to support early childhood education
- An augmnented reality mobile game to simulate a business consulting scenario
- mGovernment readiness
- Retailer readiness to adopt mobile payment
- Technologies to enhance the ability to monitor and respond to network, device and security events
- Mobile devices, cloud computing and energy preservation
Krassie has published and presented in New Zealand and internationally in the research areas of mobile business, mobile applications and services adoption, IS/IT and eBusiness education and curriculum development, IT/IS student skills and capabilities building. She has also published on the adoption of eLearning and technology supported learning, mobile gaming, mobile learning, just in time learning, ICT and information security curriculum development, and information security legislative frameworks. She currently works on developing and validating a balanced model of mobile applications and services adoption applying frameworks and constructs from adoption theories, service science, and design science.
Refereed Journal Articles (selected more recent publications)
- Petrova, K., & Wang, B. (2011). Location-based services deployment and demand: A roadmap model. Electronic Commerce Research, 11(1), 5-29.
- Petrova, K. (2007). Mobile learning as a mobile business application. International Journal of Innovation and Learning, 4(1), 1-21.
- Petrova, K., & Yu, S. (2010). SMS banking: An exploratory investigation of the factors influencing future use. International Journal of E-Services and Mobile Applications, 2(3), 19-43.
- Petrova, K., & Huang, R. Y. (2011). Deployment and critical success factors for the mobile Internet: A case study approach. International Journal of Technology Diffusion, 2(1), 1-15.
- Petrova, K., & Li, C. (2011). Supporting mobile learners: An action research project. International Journal of Web-Based Learning and Teaching Technologies, 6(3), 46-65.
- Petrova, K. (2010). An implementation of an mLearning scenario using short text messaging: An analysis and evaluation. International Journal of Mobile Learning and Organisation, 2(1), 83-97.
- Sarkar, N. I., & Petrova, K. (2011). Design and evaluation of a web-based tool for teaching computer network design to undergraduates. International Journal of Web-Based Learning and Teaching Technologies, 6(4), 39-55.
- Sarkar, N. I., & Petrova, K. (2009). Miniproject-based learning as an effective tool for teaching computer networks to graduate students. International Journal of Information and Communication Technologies Education, 5(1), 1-16.
Refereed Book Chapters (selected more recent publications)
- Petrova, K. (2010). Mobile gaming: Perspectives and issues. In I. Lee (Ed.), Encyclopedia of e-business development and management in the digital economy, Vol. II, pp. 789-800. Hershey, PA, USA: IGI Global.
- Petrova, K. (2009). Mobile commerce applications and adoption. In D. Taniar (Ed.) “Mobile Computing: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications”, (6 Volumes), [Chapter 4.22], pp. 1593-1601. Information Science Reference (an imprint of IGI Global), Hershey, PA, USA.
- Petrova, K. & Parry, D. (2008). Mobile Computing Applications in New Zealand. In: Yoo, Y., Lee, J.-N, Rowley, C. (Eds.) Trends in Mobile Technology and Business in the Asia-Pacific Region, pp. 153-177. Chandos Publishing, Oxford, UK.
- Petrova, K. & Sinclair, R. (2008). E-Learning Value and Student Experiences: A Case Study. In Francisco Jose Garcia Peñalvo (Ed.) Advances in E_Learning: Experiences and Methodologies [Chapter VII], pp. 112-131, Information Science Reference (an imprint of IGI Global), Hershey, PA, USA
- Petrova, K. & Medlin, D. (2008). Informing Industry via Academic Research in ICT Skill and Capability Development. In L. Al-Hakim & M. Memmola (Eds.) Business Web Strategy: Design, Alignment, and Application [Chapter II], pp. 26-45, IGI Global, Hershey, PA, USA.
- Petrova, K. (2007). Understanding the success factors of mobile gaming. In D. Taniar (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Mobile Computing & Commerce, Vol. 1, IGI Global. Information Science Reference. New York, USA.
- Petrova, K. (2007). Scenarios for SMS based mobile learning. In D. Taniar (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Mobile Computing & Commerce, Vol. 1, IGI Global. Information Science Reference. New York, USA.
- Petrova, K. & Claxton, G. (2007).Curriculum change and alignment with industry: The student perspective. In G. Lowry & R. Turner (Eds.) Information Systems and Technology Education: From the University to the Workplace, pp. 128-158. IGI Global. Information Science Reference. Hershey, PA, USA.
- Sarkar, N. I. & Petrova, K. (2006). WebLan Designer: a Web-Based Tool to enhance Teaching and Learning about Wired and Wireless LAN Design. In N. I Sarkar (Ed.), Tools for Teaching Computer Networking and Hardware Concepts, Idea Group Publishing, pp. 21- 28.
Refereed Conference Proceedings (selected more recent publications)
- Parsons, D., Petrova, K., & Ryu, H. (2012). Mobile gaming- a serious business! Proceedings of the IEEE7th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Technology in Education (WMUTE), pp. 17-24. Takamatsu, Japan.
- Parsons, D., Petrova, K. & Ryu, H. (2011). Designing Mobile Games for Engagement and Learning. In D. Tien (Ed.), Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Information Technology and Applications (pp. 261-266). Sydney, Australia: ICITA.
- Petrova, K. & Mehra, R. (2010). Mobile payment: An exploratory study of customer attitudes. In J. L. Mauri, J. Loo, J. Noll, & J. Penttinen (Eds.), Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Communications (pp. 378-383). New York, NY, USA: IEEE Computer Society.
- Petrova, K. & MacDonell, S. G. (2010). Mobile services and applications: Towards a balanced adoption model. In J. L. Mauri (Ed.), Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Mobile Ubiquitous Computing, Systems, Services and Technologies (pp. 182-188). Florence, Italy: Xpert Publishing Services.
- Petrova, K. & Li, C. (2009). Focus and setting in mobile learning research: A review of the literature. In K. S. Soliman (Ed.), Proceedings of the 11th International Business Information Management Conference: Innovation and Knowledge Management in Twin Track Economies (pp. 1456-1463). Cairo, Egypt: IBIMA.
- Connor, A., Buchan, J., & Petrova, K. (2009). Bridging the Research-Practice Gap in RE Through Effective Teaching. In Proceedings of ITNG 2009 (IEEE): 6th International Conference on Information Technology : New Generations, April (pp. 27-29), Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- Petrova, K. & Li, C. (2009). Focus and Setting in Mobile Learning Research: A Review of the Literature, in K. S. Soliman (Ed.), Proceedings of the 11th International Business Information Management Conference (IBIMA) on Innovation and Knowledge Management in Twin Track Economies, Cairo, Egypt, pp.1456-1463.
- Petrova, K. & Li, C. (2009). Evaluating mobile learning artefacts. In Same places, different spaces. Proceedings ascilite Auckland 2009 (pp. 768-772). Byron Bay, NSW, Australia: ascilite. Retrieved from http://www.ascilite.org.au/conferences/auckland09/procs/petrova.pdf
- Petrova, K. & Wang, B. (2008). Location based services: A roadmap for New Zealand. In S. Man & M. Lopez (Eds.) Proceedings of the 21st Annual Conference of the NACQ. pp, 93-100. 4-8 July, Auckland
- Petrova, K. (2008). Mobile payment: Towards a customer-centric model. In S. Hartmann et al. (Eds.): WISE 2008, LNCS 5176, pp. 12–23, 2008. eBAG@WISE 2008 , September, 2008, Auckland.
- Petrova, K. & Qu, H. (2007). Playing mobile games: Consumer perceptions. In J. Filipe, D. A. Marca, B. Shishkov, & M. van Sinderen (Eds.) Proceedings of the Second International Conference on e-Business (ICE-B), Barcelona, Spain, pp. 209-214.
- Fielden, K. & Petrova, K. (2007). If only we had time. In S. Mann & N. Bridgeman (Eds.) Proceedings of the 20th Annual Conference of the National Advisory Committee on Computing Qualifications , July 8-11, Nelson, New Zealand, pp. 65-72. Hamilton:
- Petrova, K. & Huang, R. (2007). Mobile internet deployment in New Zealand. In S. Krishnamurthy & P. Isaias (Eds) Proceedings of IADIS e-Commerce 2007 Conference, Algrave, Portugal, pp. 337-341. International Association for Development of the Information Society (IADIS)
- Petrova, K. (2007). Students revising for a test using SMS. In A. Norman & J. Pearce (Eds.), Proceedings of mLearn 2007 “Making the Connections”, pp 218-222. Melbourne, Australia: University of Melbourne, October 16-19, Melbourn, Australia
- Petrova, K. & Qu, H. (2006). Mobile gaming: a reference model and critical success factors. In M. Khosrow-Pour (Ed.) Emerging Trends and Challenges in Information Technology Management: Proceedings of the 2006 Information Resources Management Association Conference, May 21-24, Washington DC, Vol.1, pp. 228-231
- Petrova, K. & Medlin, D. (2006). Towards a general framework for the study of ICT skills supply and demand. In M. Khosrow-Pour (Ed.) Emerging Trends and Challenges in Information Technology Management: Proceedings of the 2006 Information Resources Management Association Conference, Washington DC, Vol. 1, pp. 255-258.
Commercial Publications and Technical Reports
- Pears, R., Gottgtroy, P., Petrova, K., & MacDonell, S. (2006, 16/08). RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT REPORT : Data Mining – Phase 1. AUT University,Auckland, & MediaLab, Lucent International, Lucent New Zealand, Telecom New Zealand, , Foundation for Research Science & Technology (FRST) (60 pages, Technical report, confidential).
- Parsons, D., & Petrova, K. (2011) HYPERLINK "http://akoaotearoa.ac.nz/ako-hub/ako-aotearoa-northern-hub/mobile-learning-business-game" Mobile learning with location-aware, augmented-reality business games. AKO Aotearoa.
- Pang, S., Kasabov, N., Si_Eng Ling, S._E., & Petrova, K (2006, 16/08). RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT REPORT : Closed Loop Optimization – Phase 1. AUT University, Auckland & MediaLab, Lucent International, Lucent New Zealand, Telecom New Zealand, Foundation for Research Science & Technology (FRST) (34 pages, Technical report, confidential).
- Best Paper Finalist, IEEE WMUTE Conference (2012)
- The AUT Chancellor’s Publication Grant Award (2007)
- Best Collaborative Paper, NACCQ Conference (2007)