Dr Felix B. Tan
Professor of Information Systems and Head of Department
Phone: +649 9219487
Faculty of Business and Law
Private Bag 92006
- Doctor of Philosophy, The University Of Auckland (Information Systems)
- Master of Philosophy (Honours), The University Of Auckland (Information Systems)
- Bachelor of Economics, Monash University (Economics)
Dr Felix B Tan is Professor of Information Systems, Head of the Department of Business Information Systems and Director of the Centre for Research on Information Systems Management (CRISM) at Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand. He was the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Global Information Management from 1998 to 2012. He was on the Council of the Association for Information System from 2003 to 2005. He has held visiting positions with the National University of Singapore, The University of Western Ontario, Georgia State University,The University of Hawaii at Manoa and Indiana Wesleyan University.
Dr Tan is internationally known for his work in the global IT field. His other research interests include IT user behaviour and the management of the IS function – in particular IS strategy, management and governance. Dr Tan has published in MIS Quarterly, Information & Management, Communications of the AIS, Communications of the ACM, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, IEEE Transactions on Personal Communications, Information Systems Journal, Journal of Information Technology, International Journal of Electronic Commerce, as well as other journals and refereed conference proceedings.
- Global Information Management
- Information Systems Strategy, Management Governance
- IT User Behaviour
- The Repertory Grid Technique
Current Research Projects:
- The Impact of Analyst-User Cognitive Problem Solving Style on User Satisfaction (co-author Michael Mullany, Northland Polytechnic, NZ)
- Brand Consistency in Business Websites: The Case of a Large Global Company (co-author Parag Bhatnagar, The University of Auckland, NZ)
- Psychological Empowerment and User-Generated Content in the Travel Industry (Luiz Mendes Filho, PhD student thesis)
- Continuous Knowledge Sharing and Satisfaction in Business Online Communities (Kamarul Hashim, PhD student thesis)
- Understanding Mentoring in IT Project Management Processes (Paul Leong, PhD student thesis)
- Organisational Acceptance of Internet Protocol version 6 (Awinder Kaur, PhD student thesis)
- Information Systems Support and Maintenance (Ammar Rashid, PhD student thesis)
- Multi-dimensional Trust and Risk in Mobile Payments Acceptance (Roslyn Leong, MPhil student thesis)
- Chong, J.L.L. and Tan. F.B. ‘IT Governance in Collaborative Networks: A Socio-Technical Perspective”. Pacific Asia Journal of the Association of Information Systems, 4(2), 31-48, June 2012.
- Niederman, F. and Tan, F.B. “Managing Global IT Teams: Considering Cultural Dynamics”. Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), 54(4), 1-4, April 2011.
- Guo, Z., Tan, F.B. and Cheung, K. “Students’ Uses and Gratifications for Using Computer-Mediated Communication Media in Learning Contexts”. Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol 27, Article 20, 2010. Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/cais/vol27/iss1/20.
- Guo, Z, Tan, F.B. Turner, T. & Xu, H.Z. ‘Group Norms, Media Preferences and Group Meeting Success: A Longitudinal Study’. Computers in Human Behavior, 26(4), p645-655, 2010.
- Napier, N.P., Keil, M. and Tan, F.B. ‘IT Project Managers’ Construction of Successful IT Project Management Practice: A Repertory Grid Investigation”. Information Systems Journal, 19(3), 255-282, 2009.
- Xu, Y., Tung, L.L. and Tan, F.B. ‘Attributes of Website Usability: A Study of Web Users with the Repertory Grid Technique’. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 13(4), 99-128, Summer 2009.
- Guo, Z, Turner, T. and Tan, F.B. ‘An Exploratory Investigation into Instant Messaging Perceptions and Preferences in Two Distinct Cultures’. IEEE Transactions on Personal Communications, 51(4), 1-20, December 2008.
- Tan, F.B. and Chou, J. P.C. ‘The Relationship between Perceived Service Quality, Perceived Technology Compatibility and Perceived Playfulness in the Context of Mobile Internet and Entertainment Services’. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 24(7), 649-671, 2008.
- Hunter, M.G., Tan, F.B. and Tan, B.C.Y. 'Voluntary Turnover of Information System Professionals: A Cross-Cultural Investigation. Journal of Global Information Management, 16(4), 46-66, 2008.
- Tan, F.B., Yan, L. Urquhart, C., ‘The Effect of Cultural Differences on Attitude, Peer Influence, External Influence, and Self-Efficacy in Actual Online Shopping Behavior’, Journal of Information Science and Technology, 4(1), pp. 3-26, 2007.
- Tan, F.B., Gallupe, R.B. 'Aligning Business and Information Systems Thinking: A Cognitive Approach'. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 53(2), May 2006.
- Tan, F.B., Lin, H., Urquhart, C. An Exploratory Study of the Design Preferences of U.S. and Chinese Virtual Communities’. International Journal of E-Business Research, 2(3), 47-69, 2006.
- Tan, F.B. and Leewongcharoen, K. 'Factors Contributing to IT Industry Success in Developing Countries: The Case of Thailand'. Journal of Information Technology for Development, 11 (2), 161-194, 2005.
- Chung, J and Tan, F.B. 'Antecedents of Perceived Playfullness: An Exploratory Study on User Acceptance of General Information-searching Websites'. Information and Management, 41 (7), 869-881, 2004.
- Tan, F.B.and Sutherland, P. 'Online Consumer Trust: A Multi-dimensional Model’. Journal of Electronic Commerce in Organizations, 2(3), 41-59, 2004.
- Tan, F.B. Hunter, M. G. 'The Repertory Grid Technique: A Method For The Study Of Cognition In Information Systems'. MIS Quarterly, 26(1), 39-57, 2002.
- Myers, M.D. Tan, F.B. 'Beyond Models Of National Culture In Information Systems Research’. Journal Of Global Information Management, 10(1), 24-32, 2002.
- Gallupe, R.B. Tan, F.B. 'A Research Manifesto For Global Information Management’. Journal Of Global Information Management, 7(3), 5-18, 1999.
- Tan F.B. ‘The Responsiveness Of Information Technology To Business Strategy Formulation: An Empirical Study’. Journal of Information Technology 10(3), 171-178, 1995.