Professor Trish Corner (Deputy Head of Department)
Professor of Strategic Entrepreneurship
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 - ext: 5415
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Strategic Management, Arizona State University
- Master of Business Administration, University of Minnesota
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Virginia
Dr. Trish Corner is the Professor of Strategic Entrepreneurship in the Faculty of Business. She provides a leadership for the faculty through her role as PBRF coordinator for the management discipline (2011-2012) and also as Research Leader for the Management Department. As research leader she oversees administrative processes around research for a department of over 40 staff; including promotion, performance reviews, and annual individual development plans for staff. She also provides leadership in curriculum as seen in her current development of an Entrepreneurship major for the Faculty of Business. She continues to oversee research in her areas of specialization, supervise graduate students, and serve on the management team of the AUT Venture Fund. Her discipline-based research interests lie at the intersection of the entrepreneurship and strategy discipline with a special interest in social entrepreneurship and management spirituality. She also serves as a trustee for the Yoga Education in Prisons Trust, a charitable trust working to rehabilitate prisoners through the well proven practices of yoga.
She has authored 40 internationally refereed publications, including articles in Organization Science, Entrepreneurship, Theory, and Practice, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of the Operations Research Society, Interfaces, International Small Business Journal
, and the Best Paper Proceedings of the Academy of Management. She has a further research interest in management pedagogy as evidenced by her publications in the Journal of Management Education.
Dr. Corner is an American born and trained academic. She has held positions at the University of Wyoming and Arizona State University in the US before accepting a position at the University of Waikato in New Zealand in 1992. As a doctoral student in the US, her academic excellence was recognized through induction into two honorary fraternities: Beta Gamma Sigma and Phi Kappa Phi. She also was the recipient of the 2001 Waikato Management School’s Outstanding Teacher Award.
Professor Corner has been a member of the Academy of Management since 1987 and serves on the editorial review board of its pedagogy journal, Academy of Management Learning and Education (AMLE). In 2011 her reviewing for AMLE earned her a coveted outstanding reviewer award. She has served as an ex-officio member of the Executive Committee of the Research Methods Division and has reviewed for the Carolyn Dexter Awards. This is the Academy of Management's most prestigious award for international research. Her current contributions to the international academic community also include serving on the Editorial Review Board for Journal of Management & Organization. Additionally, she is an external member of the Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship Research Center of Massey University and has been a visitor at Arizona State University and Ecole de Management Bordeaux. Professor Corner joined the Faculty of Business at AUT University in May, 2004
Expertise in Degree and Postgraduate Teaching
- Small and Medium Sized Enterprises
- Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Interests in Research Supervision
- Entrepreneurship from the individual point of view
- Strategic leaders in large and small organizations
- Small and Medium Sized Enterprises
- Social Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship, Management Spirituality
Current Research Projects:
- Social Entrepreneurship and Strategy
- Dynamic Capabilities and Human Resources
- Knowledge Creation Through Inner Self Exploration
Recent Refereed Publications:
- Corner, P., & Pio, E. (2016). Supervising International Students’ Theses and Dissertations. Academy of Management Learning and Education. DOI 10.5465/amle.2015.0054.
- Hartnell, C., Kinicki, A., Lambert, L., Fugate, M., & Corner, P. (In Press). Do Similarities or Differences between CEO Leadership and Organizational Culture have a More Positive Effect on Firm Performance? A Test of Competing Predictions. Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Schaefer, K., Corner, P., Kearins, K. (2015). Social, Environmental, and Sustainability Entrepreneurship Research: What is Needed for Sustainability-As-Flourishing? Organization & Environment, 28, 394-413.
- Singh, S., Corner, P., & Pavlovich, K. (2015). Spirituality and Entrepreneurial Failure. Journal of Management, Spirituality, and Religion. DOI 10.1080/14766086.2015.1029961.
- Corner, P. & Pavolvich, K. (2014). Shared value through inner knowledge creation. Journal of Business Ethics. DOI 10.1007/s10551-014-2488-x.
- Singh, S., Corner, P., Pavlovich, K. (2015). Failed but not finished: A narrative approach to understanding venture failure stigmatization. Journal of Business Venturing, 30: 150-166.
- Pavlovich, K. & Corner, P. (2014). Conscious enterprise emergence: Shared value creation through expanded consciousness awareness. Journal of Business Ethics. 121: 341–351.
- Kinicki, A., Fugate, M., Hartnell, C., & Corner, P. (2012). Which fit fits? : The Effect of Two Types of Leadership-Culture Fit on Firm Performance. In L. Toombs (Ed.) Best Paper Proceedings of the Seventieth Annual Academy of Management Proceedings. (5% acceptance rate).
- Corner, P. & Wu, S. (2012). Dynamic capability emergence in the venture creation process. International Small Business Journal, 30, 138-160.
- Corner, P. & Ho, M. (2010). How opportunities develop in social entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship, Theory and Practice,July, 635-659.
- Corner, P. (2009). Workplace Spirituality and Business Ethics: Insights from an Eastern Spiritual Tradition. Journal of Business Ethics, 85(3), 377-389.
- Pavlovich, K. & Corner, P. (2009). Spiritual Organizations and Connectedness: The Living Nature Experience. Journal of Management, Spirituality and Religion, 6(3), 209-229.
- Corner, P. (2008). Extending Theory Through Experience: A Framework for Business Ethics From Yoga. In George T. Solomon (Ed.), Best Paper Proceedings of the Sixty-Sixth Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management (CD), ISSN 1543-8643. (5% acceptance rate)
- Corner, P. & Pavlovich, K. (2007). Entrepreneurship Research: Follow the Yellow-Brick Road? Journal of Management and Organization, 14(4): 288-294.
- Singh, S., Corner, P., Pavlovich, K. (2007). Coping with entrepreneurial failure. Journal of Management & Organization, 14(4): 331-344.
- Corner, P., Bowden, S., Clark, D., Collins, E., Gibb, J., Kearins, K., & Pavlovich, K. (2006). Grounded Learning from a Case Competition. Journal of Management Education, 30: 431-454.
- Corner, P. & Kinicki, A. (2005), “An Upper Echelon Perspective on Mergers and Acquisitions“, in C. Cooper, and S. Finkelstein (Eds.), Advances in Mergers and Acquisitions, JAI Press, Greenwich, CN. pp. 85-122.
- Corner, J. & Corner, P. (2003), “Teaching OR/MS Using Discussion Leadership”, Interfaces, 33: 60-69.
- Corner, P. (2002), “An Integrative Model for Teaching Quantitative Research Design”, Journal of Management Education, 26, 671-692.
Last updated: 17-Aug-2016 9.00am
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.